Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying Quickened Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moonstone Spider
What is a reasonable price for a quickened spell on a mundane character? Assuming you already have an initiate magician contact, what conditions would there be to getting that spell? Would the magician worry about being traced through the spell? MitS suggests that quickened spells are very common in some areas, notably the Yakuza and Triads.

I've been thinking on this a bit recently. The best price I can come up with is force squared * 1000 nuyen. Thus a force 1 spell would cost only 1000 nuyen while a force 6 spell would cost 36,000 nuyen. Perhaps damage code should be listed in there too somewhere but too complex an equation gets annoying.

Lastly can the mundane recieving the spell pony up the Karma for it (Presumably decreasing the price), or must the magician do so?
Ol' Scratch
Right off the top of my head, I'd just use the same rules for a mundane acquiring a Reusable Anchoring Focus using the same spell. The prices are located in the back of Magic in the Shadows with a footnote on how to adjust them for mundanes.

As for mundanes or anyone else offering up Karma for enchanting/quickening purposes, if there is an answer it's in the Enchanting chapter of Magic in the Shadows. I do think it's possible because if memory serves, you can pay someone 5,000 nuyen per point of Karma while Enchanting or some such.

(If you can't tell, I don't have MitS with me at the moment.) biggrin.gif
Moonstone Spider
Possibly, but a permanent anchoring foci costs 3x more karma than a quickened spell, can be turned on and off at will, and cause backlash drain to the magician every time they are used. Given all of those factors you'd expect a magician to be much more cagey about who he hands an anchoring foci to.
Ol' Scratch
If nothing else, it's about the best you're going to find for something to base a cost off. smile.gif Remember, only Initiated mages can do this to begin with, and they're usually unwilling to do so considering that the spell will always lead back to them (so shadowrunners and other criminal-types can end up implicating them in their crimes)... so it's not going to be cheap.

It also means the mage won't be able to charge upkeep fees.
Game2BHappy
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Possibly, but a permanent anchoring foci costs 3x more karma than a quickened spell, can be turned on and off at will, and cause backlash drain to the magician every time they are used. Given all of those factors you'd expect a magician to be much more cagey about who he hands an anchoring foci to.

Yes, but the client has to return to the mage every time he uses the spell to have it re-cast. Unlike the Quickened spell, this has potential for long-term profit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012