Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to watch out for
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Screamin Demon
I've been running a SR4 game for about a month now, and my players are just starting to really get into the system and are buying books on their own. This is a small problem, as I have genius players who are quite adept at wielding rules to their maximum advantage. Maybe some of you fine gentlemen who are likewise minded might be able to give me a heads up on what I may be dealing with next week.

Things we all know that are possibly game balance effecting are:
Bows are very powerful (Especially in the hands of a troll)
Magic is uberpowerful. The drain on power 12 spells isn't as crippling as it woulda been in SR3

These are not so much a problem for me, and they have been extensively noted on these forums so I figured I'd mention them so nobody else would have to. sarcastic.gif

Primarily I am worried about what some of my more devious players may glean from Augmentation, a book I only own in PDF form and have yet to fully scan the entirety of, but anything you think would be worth a GM's attention please come out with.
hermit
While they may suck in anything but their chosen speciality, Technomancers are extreme there. Plan accordingly if you have one. Also, it might be a good idea to bring to bear that TMs are hunted like Drakes in SR4, should your group's mancer be getting ambitious.

In Augmentation, prepare for an Errata that removes incompatibility between riger and matrix boosters. Synner hinted at something like that.
Stahlseele
with augmentation, you will have jesus-samurai who can walk over water better than any adept ever yould and spider-man-wanna-be's and people who get something like magical effects from ware(yes, i'm thinking of the electro-shock-eel-skin) and suddenly, CYBERLIMBS will be making a whole lot more sense thanks to Frank(yes, i still think that's the best point to SR4)
Screamin Demon
Thats good news to my ear. I love Adepts personally, but the magic to mundane ratio in my group is out of wack by over 70% compared to the national averaged of awakened individuals. The Technomancer in my group is played by a very informed character who reads a lot of SR fiction. No wonder he was acting so paranoid... He fills the position of the group's rigger, so keeping a low profile is pretty easy for him. Thanks for the tips so far, nothing terribly shocking. Perhaps some clarification on the 'walking on water better then Jesus?' I know there are cyberfeet that allow one to hover, but they seem unrealistic, so I've home brewed them to a very low weight limit as per the option in the item's description... Was that your reference?
Stahlseele
yep, that's basically my angle . . and to what weight did you lower it?
would a small dwarf or thin elf be able to water-walk with them? what about a fat ork or a big troll?
and please . . don't get your realism into my game with bio/cyber/nano/gen-tech and Dragons, Orks, Trolls, Dwarves and Elfs doing Magic all over the place <.< . . that one allways goes over bad with me sooner or later . . because if i get only weaker than rules allowing implants because IT'S UNREALISTIC . . i want people who complain about that to rewrite the whole world to be without any of the above mentioned x.x . .
Screamin Demon
I know, its very foolish to speak of realism when it comes to fantastic fictional games such as these, let me clairify:

Although the magnificent world of Shadowrun vastly differs from ours in any number of ways there are still many things that remain the same. This is why I love the SR system. There are dragons and trolls and ghouls and all of those wonderful sort of thing, but there are also many of the same problems that plague the world today. Most of them magnified to cataclysmic proportions. grinbig.gif

When I say something is 'unrealistic' I am saying that in my humble opinion it ruins that gritty 'real' feeling that I never quite get from other systems of RP.

The hover feet (Which were not really the intended topic of this post) strike me as a no-no because a cyber-component that runs on the energy the human body provides would be unable to lift the mass of said body into the air and keep it there against the omnipresent will of gravity by the power of said energy alone.

I know. I may as well start ranting on the improbabilities of HotSim VR. But some things add greatly to the feel of the universe, others don't. At my table HotSim VR is in, and 'Flying Feet' are capped at a maximum 75 Kilos and count as 'running' for the purposes of determining fatigue.

Thanks for the heads up, though. Had I not been aware of the Hover Foot mod I would most certainly be now. cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012