Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help understanding how the blast elemental effect works
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ranger
- Say you cast a spell with the blast elemental effect against a barrier. Does only half of the barrier's Armor Value apply? "Blast damage is treated as Physical damage and is resisted with half Impact armor (rounded up)" (Street Magic, 164).

- How does the secondary effect work? "Blast damage can also break glass and knock over trees and other objects. At the gamemaster’s discretion, objects with a Structure rating less than the Force may be knocked over, shattered, shredded, or otherwise swept away" (Street Magic, 164). Is this the same as creating a hole in the barrier as per the Destroying Barriers rule (SR4, 157), or is this actually destroying the barrier completely?

- If you are an adept with the Elemental Strike power, and you selected to add the blast elemental effect to your unarmed attacks, what is the Force of your attacks for purposes of breaking objects as per the blast element's secondary effect? Would that be equal to your modified DV?
Jhaiisiin
The initial questions, I can't answer, but regarding the adept and the blast effect, DS actually had a discussion on it not too long ago which you can find Here.

Cliff notes is that you use the adepts magic rating (the part dedicated to physad powers if you're running a mystic adept) as the force of the blast effect. So a magic 5 physad would have a force 5 blast effect, good for knocking others down and clearing debris, but no extra damage from it.
Ranger
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Mar 24 2008, 09:51 PM) *
The initial questions, I can't answer, but regarding the adept and the blast effect, DS actually had a discussion on it not too long ago which you can find Here.

Cliff notes is that you use the adepts magic rating (the part dedicated to physad powers if you're running a mystic adept) as the force of the blast effect. So a magic 5 physad would have a force 5 blast effect, good for knocking others down and clearing debris, but no extra damage from it.

Thank you for the reply. I guess I should have searched first. smile.gif But, since I had other questions, I just asked it all at once.

In any event, using Magic for the Force sounds reasonable. I was thinking the same thing before I posted, but wanted to see what others thought.
Jhaiisiin
Due to the original info being buried in a character concept discussion, you may not have found it in the first place. I knew it off the top of my head because I started that thread, and amazingly I remembered something on my own without my Blackberry reminding me. (Stupid getting old bullchit)
Ranger
Cool, at least you remembered. wink.gif

Does anyone have any ideas about my first two questions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012