Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Damage Track Proposition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nightwalker450
Ok, there are many confusions and such to our damage track. The removal of armor to keep you from taking more stun damage (and thus remain conscious). The troll who can take a ton of hits from artillary, but for some reason drops pretty easy in a hand-to-hand combat (due to much lower stun track). So here's my proposal to a modified stun track. Similar to the White Wolf use of a single track with varying damage codes. (To keep from branching too much will leave out the "aggravated damage" and stick to stun and physical)

Basically your damage track would be
8 + 1/2 Body + Cyber Limbs
With an addition of
+ 1/2 Willpower Stun Overflow

So you mark your stun damage with the "/", and your Physical Damage with an "X", constantly shifting the damage further (X's always on top). For every 3 points of (any) damage you suffer your -1 penalty. If all your boxes (excluding Stun Overflow) fill up with X's, you are bleeding out, and can take up to Body more Physical damage before expiring. If your last box (including Stun Overflow) has a "/" in it, then you are unconcious, and any further stun, will be physical.

BOD:3, WIL:3 = 10 Boxes Physical, +2 Boxes Stun Overflow

[ ][ ][ ] -1
[ ][ ][ ] -2
[ ][ ][ ] -3
[ ]( )( ) -4

[X][/][ ] No Modifiers
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ]( )( )

[X][X][/] -1 Modifier
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ]( )( )

[X][X][X] -3 Modifier, but Still Concious
[X][X][/]
[/][/][/]
[/]( )( )

[X][X][X] -4 Modifier, Unconcious, further stun is physical
[X][X][X]
[X][/][/]
[/](/)(/)

[X][X][X] -3 Modifier, Bleeding Out
[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]
[X]( )( )

[X][X][X] Dead
[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]
[X](X)(X)
-X-

This results in one clean damage track, everyone can take more stun than physical. You will take more penalties then before with having your damage combined, but it makes more sense then removing your armor to stay concious. Low/High Pain Tolerance is treated the same, healing rates are the same. For those that do know white wolf, we could step this up to aggravated damage, for the serious wounds that are going to take much more time to heal then a quick medkit/heal spell job. Just fishing for some opinions here.
Screamin Demon
Just looks like a new technique for marking down damage. Only downside is what if your troll takes 10 physical (No problem for this lug!), but then next turn he takes 7 stun? How using your system would you chart the stun damage? It does save a bit more room on the page, but it doesn't allow you to track stun and physical independently if your physical ever exceeds the stun damage taken.
Nightwalker450
The stun damage goes on the same track, it is marked with the "/". Physical damage is marked with the "X".

BOD: 9, WIL: 4
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ]( )( )

[X][X][X] First Shot does 10 physical (-3 Modifier now)
[X][X][X]
[X][X][X]
[X][ ][ ]
[ ]( )( )

[X][X][X] Next Shot does 7 Stun
[X][X][X] Once the Stun Overflows, those last 2 stun, shift to physical damage (changing previous stuns to physical)
[X][X][X] -5 Modifier, but only unconcious, not bleeding out.
[X][X][X]
[/](/)(/)

This is of course saying that after resisted the troll took that much damage, which is a crazy amount of damage for anyone.
Screamin Demon
...how does 7 stun overflow 10 physical? I see your marking system, you explained it well enough in your first post. What I am saying is that how do you track your stun if its less then the physical damage you've already taken? the / will be lost behind the X. Scan?
Nightwalker450
It stacks at the end, everything is on one track. A stunning hit is not ignored because you have taken physical damage before, a stun is added on top of the physical damage you have already taken. Only one type of damage goes in a box, stun overflowed the end, so it starts converting previous stun into physical damage.
Slymoon
Interesting system.
I assume anything that increased a characters overflow rating would increase both physical and stun since they are the same track?
Nightwalker450
Thats pretty much the idea, with cyberware just increasing on the track. I don't know of too much that increases just stun track. In the end there is less total boxes then when they were seperated, but you get both a willpower and body boost to the track (though one only helps to diminish the knockout result of stun)
Jhaiisiin
Gven that there are less total boxes of available damage, are you adjusting the soak rules too? Seems like the current system allows a person to take a beating and physical wounds and keep going (albeit at huge penalties) whereas your new system has them down and unconscious before even 2/3 of that point.
Larsine
I think I like your idea, but I'm not quite sure I get all of it.

How about a Bod 6, WIL 4 character taking:
3 stun, 3 physical, 3 stun, 3 physical, 3 stun?

At what stage does his fall unconsious, and when does he die?

Care to illustrate and explain?

Lars

Slymoon
I don't see him online currently, but I *think* he means somwthing like this:

3 stun
[/] [/] [/] -1
[ ] [ ] [ ] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

3 phys (3 stun + 3 phys)
[X] [X] [X] -1
[ ] [ ] [ ] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

+3 stun (6 stun + 3 phys)
[X] [X] [X] -1
[/] [/] [/] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

+3 phys (6 stun + 6 phys)
[X] [X] [X] -1
[X] [X] [X] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

+3 stun (9 stun + 6 phys)
[X] [X] [X] -1
[X] [X] [X] -2
[/] [/] [/] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

??

If that is correct then at this point, 4 more stun or 5 phys would put the character down.
Basically it looks like physical damage can overwrite stun whereas stun adds on top of physical.

I suppose if this character took 10 boxes of physical then only 3 more stun on top would put him out. Or of course that 11th box physical.

Took a stab at it, is that close?
Jhaiisiin
I actually interpreted it as everything stacks until you get to the point of overflow, like this:

3 stun
[/] [/] [/] -1
[ ] [ ] [ ] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

3 phys (3 stun + 3 phys)
[X] [X] [X] -1
[/] [/] [/] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

[X] [X] [X] -1
[/] [/] [/] -2
[/] [/] [/] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

[X] [X] [X] -1
[X] [X] [X] -2
[/] [/] [/] -3
[/] [/] (/) -4
( )

[X] [X] [X] -1
[X] [X] [X] -2
[X] [X] [/] -3
[/] [/] (/) -4
(/)
(final bit being converting 2 stun to physical due to reaching overflow. You'll be bleeding out but not dead)
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Mar 25 2008, 03:32 PM) *
I actually interpreted it as everything stacks until you get to the point of overflow, like this:

3 stun
[/] [/] [/] -1
[ ] [ ] [ ] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

3 phys (3 stun + 3 phys)
[X] [X] [X] -1
[/] [/] [/] -2
[ ] [ ] [ ] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

[X] [X] [X] -1
[/] [/] [/] -2
[/] [/] [/] -3
[ ] [ ] ( ) -4
( )

[X] [X] [X] -1
[X] [X] [X] -2
[/] [/] [/] -3
[/] [/] (/) -4
( )

[X] [X] [X] -1
[X] [X] [X] -2
[X] [X] [/] -3
[/] [/] (/) -4
(/)
(final bit being converting 2 stun to physical due to reaching overflow. You'll be bleeding out but not dead)

As he is basing it off the White Wolf system, this would be correct.

I like the concept of the idea, but it would need some adjustments, as it would cause characters to crash much sooner if taking both Physical and Stun. Possible adjustment would be to include full Willpower attribute for the Stun overflow, but I'm not sure that would be enough, with 2 x Willpower being to much. Maybe 1.5 Willpower, round up Stun overflow?
Slymoon
That addition may very well be the system he means.
However at that point you are basically just keeping a single line of Hitpoints. The only difference it seems is what actual type (stun of physical) of hitpoint did you lose last to see if you are bleeding or unconcious.
Aaron
I think I saw a similar system in the MechWarrior RPG, did I not?

That being said, I really liked the MechWarrior RPG damage system.
Crusher Bob
Looks simple enough

If your last [ ] is filled with an X you are 'bleeding out'
If your last ( ) box is filled with an / you are KO
If your last ( ) box is filled with an X you are dead

Any stun damage in excess required to fill your condition monitors converts /s to Xs.
Nightwalker450
Sorry didn't get a chance to check back in last night.

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Mar 25 2008, 05:32 PM) *
[X] [X] [X] -1
[X] [X] [X] -2
[X] [X] [/] -3
[/] [/] (/) -4
(/)

Thats pretty much it, except here they aren't bleeding out, just knocked out. If the last ( ) Stun Overflow is filled with Stun, then you are knocked out. If the last [ ] Box is filled with Physical "X", then you are bleeding out.

The point you are considered dead is what I'm thinking on right now. Originally I was thinking if you go BODY number of boxes past the end of the [ ], but that places overlap on the Stun Overflow. Perhaps if we have Full Willpower for Stun Overflow, and if all your boxes are filled with "X" physical damage then you are dead (as Crusher Bob stated)... This would also give some more stun area.

BOD: 6 WIL: 4
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ] If all of [ ] are filled with "X" physical damage, then you are unconcious and bleeding out.
[ ][ ]( ) If the last ( ) is filled with "/" stun damage, then you are unconcious
( )( )( ) If all of the boxes [ ] and ( ) are filled with "X" physical damage you are dead

Body won't determine then how long till you bleed out, but rathe willpower. Will power also gives you the extension on how much stun damage you can take. So Physical damage really doesn't change here at all, just how stun damage affects it. Characters are loosing (8 - 1/2 WIL) boxes of Stun damage total. I don't want to just stack the boxes, because then it would always take forever to drop somebody with stun damage. I don't mind stun being slightly less effective then physical (since it will have to reach a much further point on the track), this is the reason you wear body armor so that you can take more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012