Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to implant a mobile phone in your forearm
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DarkLloyd
Well folks since i didn't see it posted anywhere else check this out.

I think someones been reading Augmentaions!

I WANT one!!!!!!
fatal2ty
the article doesn't give an Availability or Essence rating, hopefully we'll get a glimpse of it in the near future
kindalas
I was expecting that to be available in 5 or so years.

I need to restart reading geek journals.
Vegetaman
So much for those wrist watch model cell phones with flip screens I always used to pine for.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (kindalas @ Mar 12 2008, 11:37 PM) *
I was expecting that to be available in 5 or so years.

I need to restart reading geek journals.

Well it's still in early prototype stage, apparently.

And it runs on Bluetooth? I guess there are people who don't think wireless cyberware is an incredibly security-stupid thing to do...
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 13 2008, 02:18 AM) *

And it runs on Bluetooth? I guess there are people who don't think wireless cyberware is an incredibly security-stupid thing to do...

Who the hell would run their cyber in wireless mode? I know if I had 'ware that I would not run it's built-in wireless unless I absolutely had to (visiting the cyberdoc) and NEVER on a 'Run. Sorry I don't need the bad guys shutting down my Wired Reflexes just when I need them the most.

*Note: This of course excludes a commlink... by it's nature it needs to have wireless turned on. For a commlink I would run mostly in private mode.
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 13 2008, 03:18 AM) *

Well, maybe the area around the USB port tended to get inflamed and/or infected. But it'll be hilarious when the tattoo starts displaying ORD3R V1A.GARA @NL1NE or LOL PWN3D.
Dr Funfrock
If someone hasn't posted it already, take a look at this: http://www.core77.com/competitions/greener.../projects/4673/

It's a mobile phone implanted under your skin that uses a digital tattoo to display images and an interface. You press on your skin and it does stuff.
It's powered by pulling sugars from your blood. That's probably the part that amazes me the most. I mean seriously, this is technology that eats!
nezumi
This link has been posted by no less than four people. Is it bad that I really want to post my own topic about it too?
Redjack
Moved to correct forum and flagged as "RL" (Real Life)
Kalvan
This needs to be put in Dumpshock News!
Redjack
No. This is not news about the Dumpshock website or forums.
kigmatzomat
This was part of a design contest. Unfortunately, there was zero engineering applied to the designs so it's really not any different from what you find in the SR4 books. Somebody decided it was a cool idea and submitted it to a contest. Whee.

The 2nd place prize went to a "gravity powered lamp." Lift a weight on a corkscrew shaft and as it drops it powers a generator hooked up to LEDs putting out as much light as a 40w bulb for four hours. Neat huh? Of course, the designer didn't bother to do any math. A quick bit of googling for a unit converter and then using googlemath would have told him that a perfect light source with zero losses would require something like three tons of weight.

The winner issued what has been called a "retraction" but the guy seems totally oblivious to the criticism leveled against him. He acts like a better LED will fix his design. This isn't even a case of not taking into account the efficiencies of a light bulb, it's a complete disconnect with the current understanding of the laws of thermodynamics.

One of the notable mentions tried to justify capturing energy from cell phones as a power source. Not a bad idea in theory but they made the classic watts vs. watt-hours mistake at the start.

So don't put any faith in anything from this; it's nothing more than series of artists sketches with some nice sounding words that have less science and engineering behind them than a typical high school college fair.
Fortune
QUOTE (Redjack)
No. This is not news about the Dumpshock website or forums.

I am pretty sure that Kalvan meant here. wink.gif
Redjack
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 25 2008, 08:37 PM) *
I am pretty sure that Kalvan meant here. wink.gif

Hmmm.... Long day.... embarrassed.gif

I think kigmatzomat's assessment though places it in the realm of magic, as opposed to science though. cool.gif
Rad
A bit old. I did a seach, so sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it somewhere.

http://www.physorg.com/news122819670.html

I want one.

I don't know why, but I friggin' do.

Granted, it's not a full comlink just yet--but the way has been paved. Also might explain some of those cyberware power-source questions.

<-- Imagines having to eat more beef or risk anemia due to an overamped cyberlimb that's become a "power hog" talker.gif
Malicant
Can anyone please sticky this, or any of the gazillion threads concerning that piece of 'ware? grinbig.gif
Rad
Seriously, it really should be stickied, shouldn't it?

I mean, an implanted, bluetooth enabled screen and touchpad that runs off your own blood?

I don't even own any bluetooth-enabled devices, and I still want one.
the_dunner
3 Identical threads merged.
Stahlseele
about time too *g*
weren't there some more of those? O.o
also: i would wait untill they made 100% sure that this thing does not cause cancer anymore
Fortune
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Apr 15 2008, 04:06 AM) *
3 Identical threads merged.

Much better than some inane and totally unneccesary Sticky. Thanks
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Mar 13 2008, 08:52 AM) *
So much for those wrist watch model cell phones with flip screens I always used to pine for.

not flip but still:
http://vanderled.com/onlinestore/product_i.../products_id/80
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012