Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movement making sonic booms?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WeaverMount
For reference mach 1 = 1225.044 kph. So vehicles that can hit 205 (including a couple bikes, cars) and get hit with force 6 movement that would put it over the sound barrier. Do you think that there would be a sonic boom given your understanding the magical weirdness of movement?
Fortune
No.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 26 2008, 11:38 PM) *
No.

QFT.
Umbra
I agree, the movement power is often described as more of a "shortening the distance", rather than "increasing the speed" You don't suffer whiplash when the power is turned on or off, you simply cover more distance with the same movement rate.

As a side note I house rule that if an vehicles Object Resistance Value reduces the effect of a spell, it should do something similar to a power. So, powers have their force reduced by the ORV in cases where no roll is made. Force 6 spirits only increase the speed of a high tech electronic device like a vehicle by 3. But that's just my house rule.
MaxHunter
and I really hate the movement power
hobgoblin
hehe, einstein would love/hate said power wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (MaxHunter @ Mar 27 2008, 02:25 AM) *
and I really hate the movement power

...I'm with you on that. Sounds too much like a "poor man's" teleport the way it's described. At least if it simply increased the speed (using 3rd ed rules) I could bring both handling modifiers and vehicle stress into play.
Malicant
Why do people play a game with magic when they seem to dislike it? It boggles the mind, doesn't it? biggrin.gif

Or better yet are comments in line with "Magic does not follow the rules of physics? That seems weird, wrong and like magic to me." grinbig.gif
Critias
I'm fine with ignoring silliness like friction and sonic booms and whatnot, for the Movement power. There are times it really IS okay to just drink the handwavium kool-aid, and say "It's magic."
Moon-Hawk
I agree. Handwaves all around; it's magic. Movement lets you cross greater distance in less time, without actually increasing your distance per unit time, if you get my meaning.
nathanross
God I love magic. love.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Malicant @ Mar 27 2008, 10:51 AM) *
Why do people play a game with magic when they seem to dislike it? It boggles the mind, doesn't it? biggrin.gif grinbig.gif

...not really, since I really like a lot of the tech stuff & setting details which no other similar game system has done as well. And it's not so much hating magic as a whole per se as it's just not liking the fact it seems to trump everything else in the game. Now if it were more like Cthulu magic in that there were some serious consequences to spell slinging (particularly at "Boffo" force levels) beyond just drain (which is a now easier to overcome), that would make things more interesting.

Though wishing not to spawn yet another [derail] on Magic vs. Tech here, I'll just say that is my two zloty's worth & call it a day.
Malicant
How can there even be a discussion on tech vs magic? Tech follows the rules of physics, magic doesn't. You can tell what tech does most of the time, but you cannot tell what magic does, so what's the point? It's like comparing Star Wars to Star Trek to some extent. biggrin.gif

Also, the zloty is not what it used to be. rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012