Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow News
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocTaotsu
Hey there DSF, it's me again. Got any fun news blurb/plot hooks/throw away gags to throw at my players this week? I'm having some creative constipation and it's not just coming to me this week. I've got my major plot related articles done but I'm looking for a little flavor and maybe some cool big ticket runs to throw around.
Fuchs
From my campaign:

CLNS: Attack on Governor of Montego Bay

Last night, unidentified men posing as south-american businessmen attacked the palace of the local governor in Montego Bay, Jamaica during a party. Several guards and all attackers died in a firefight, but no guest was hurt. Speculation that this attack was related to an attack on a villa in the outskirts of the town a few days earlier during which a close friend of the son of governor Guerero died were refuted.

CLNS: Con man died during party in Montego Bay

Two days ago, during a party on the yacht of L.A.-based movie producer Peter Mendoza, a man posing as the boyfriend of russian heiress Irina Nastowja was exposed as a fraud, and shot while trying to escape. Miss Nastowja suffered a shock, and was said to recover in the care of Javier Nadal, the main Star of the hit Simsense "L.A. Love Story".

DocTaotsu
That'll make some decent world news.

How do you all do your news? I try to break it down into 3 sections. News, entertainment, and Shadowlands/Jackpoint. I write the news and entertainment like regular news articles and I run Jackpoint more or less like Slashdot force bred with Wikileaks.
Fuchs
I usually only do verbal rundowns, if I do them at all - I seldom have enough time free to spare some for such handouts (Writing up the summary of the last session, and making the illustrations for it, and preparing the next session usually eats up my "Shadowrun Time")
hermit
Albuquerque (CBS): Ute peace talks resume - hostage crisis resolved peacefully
Ute rebel group lays down arms, rejoins peace talks. In a surprising move, the Ute nationalist Tom Diamond Hawk resumed talks with Pueblo Corporate Council and ordered his followers, who had been keeping more than 500 unlucky people locked in BuyLand, a large shopping mall owned by BestBuy, a subsidiary of Horizon corporation, to release the hostages. Though neotiators from Charisma Associates claim to have convinced Diamond Hawk to see the error of his ways, independent sources suggest Horizon has indeed bribed the man and his group with a substantial sum. PCC officials refused to comment, citing ongoing investigations. However, Horizon financing rebel groups in Pueblo's newly gained territories might continue to estrange the two corporations, destabilising LA even further.

Sacramento, CFS (NBS): Patch from hell makes emotitoys evil
The recent rise in Emotitoys gone mad has been traced back to a patch released last week by FunLink EmoSoft plc. The Aztechnology-affiliated company denies any charges against it's software, claiming a Technomancer terror attack. Last week, stories began to surface about emotitoys not only giving their users bad advice but also physically attacking them, clawing out eyes, biting off eats and in one case ripping a young girl's cyroid artery, causing the child's death. The patch has been taken off the net, and a fix uploaded in it's stead. Aztechnology strongly recommends downloading this patch [hyperlink] and instlling it immediately if you own an emotitoy of the Shoulder Devil, Princess Charming or BabyDrac series, and to report any irregularities observed in these models immediatly to FunLink or ACS. Also, a Cal$500.000 bounty has been put up by the corporation for the capture and handing over of the Technomancer terrorist responsible to ACS.

Irkutsk, Russia (AP): Russia claims substantial gains, Yakut swears revenge
Heavy fighting in lake Baikal region continues, and untangling what actually is happening in the newest spring offensive by the three warring parties remains difficult. It has been confirmed by two ASPS researchers that Russia uses a lethal strain of fat bacteria against yakutian troops, causing substantial damage to astral space and the lake's unique paraflora and -fauna. Meanwhile, yakut spokesperson Tiger Cub claimed yakut forces had ground the russian troops to a halt in the Tunkin deression south of the city and were preparing to "rip their bodies apart and make them feel nature's fury for their despicable acts of mass murder". She also promised a "fitting answer" to Russia's 'extensive use of bioweapons'. Moscow has upped the country's security level to Code Four, which equals the UCAS' Red terror alert, and militia and army troops have taken positions on neuralgic points of all remaining Siberian cities under russian conrol and in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The Baikal rebels so far were unavailable for comments.

Paris, France (Sol): Dianka Bi found dead in the Seine
The deformed body found in the Seine yesterday has been confirmed by DNA testing as popular euro musican Dianka Bi. Her manager confirmed leaked reports from the police nationale paranormal unit. He said was as devastated by the musican's fate as her band and family, and couldn't understand what had happened to the 29 year old artist whose first album had made traditional african tribal music a standard in euro night clubs in 2063. Since her last release in 2066, the artist had withdrawn from public, supposedly because she had joined one of Paris' infamous voodoo cabals in search of inner enlightenment and contact to her ancestors after a nervous breakdown when her last album failed to live up to the fans' and critics expectations. French police and special magical investigators won't confirm a connection to last year's voodoo ritual murders in Paris' Banglieues yet.

Venice, Italy (Sol): Anti-Elf policlub leaders disappear, police shut down poli HQ
After the mysterious disappearance of their leaders, a Venetian fringe policlub claiming to work against an international elven conspiracy to take over their city has been shut down by the city's authorities for fear of rioting in this popular tourist location. A crisis reaction unit of Venice's Gardia, the local law enforcement militia, recovered three partially eaten bodies from Venice's cemetary island that are considered to be the leaders'. Though the bodies' examination isn't completed to date, initial findings indicate they were killed in an accident. Policlub spokeswoman Serena Rech denied this, claiming a contract murder by the elven world conspiracy. Former Tir Taingire prince, the only high-ranking elven noble willing to comment on this, stated that iof there was an elven conspiracy, it would have better things to do than bother what always was and will always be a 'little swamp shithole whose days of glory are eoons past and where the only place of interest would be the gutters'. The former prince was unavailable to clarify this, citing an imminent meeting of the elf world conspiracy grand cabal, but it seems to refer to the miraculous cleaning of Venice's canals in 2062, which according to popular legend was accomplished with the help of elven mages from the German autonomous region of Pomorya.

Brooklyn, UCAS (MetaNews): Conscious rapper conscious about popular Trog Rap
Musican and MetaMatrix sensation, the politically-minded rapper Techa, argued in his blog that a return to rap's roots was overdue. 'Conscious Rap is the game's f***ing origin hombres, been around since the 60s, and I'm talking 1960s', he said, arguing that rap was much more about social and political criticism than consumerist mainstream music and 'all that glorified bling-bling lifestyle, keeping one's own harem, glamourizing Beetles and drugs only for the sake of maximising chip sales and downloads and have corp breeder kids shove their creds up greedy record companies' asses. Nobody thinks of content when writing a line anymore, they all just have the Nuyen sign flashing in their eyes'.

Lake Mead, UCAS (NABC): Daviar Memoirs up for release
Former acting president and presidental candidate Nadia Daviar, whose candidacy was toppled when it was revealed she had a love affair with a notorious shadowrunner for several years, has announced that her completed autobiography, 'Dragon Heart', was shipped to print and will also be up for download on April 15th. DeeCee insiders already leaked some details in this highly expected book, including that Daviar gives an insight into how deeply she was entangled in late president Dunkelzahn's plans, how she got to know the notorious shadowrunner Quicksilver and also supposedly some yet unknown details about the presiden's assassination. New York Publishing, who will publish the print version of the book, declined to comment on this, suggesting people who want to know should just buy the book or download the file.
Prime Mover
Used to like news feeds in the back of the old adventures and in kage. Back when I had alot more spare time I used to print a few up for our games and usually hid an easter egg or two in them. Now I've slacked off, but this thread definetly has me thinking I should try and work somthing back in. Thanks for for the inspiration.
Ashrum the Black
From my Campaign:

Lonestar Accused of “impeding� Investigation
The Mayors office claimed during a press conference last night that Lonestar Securities has been stone walling their investigation into the deaths of ten Lonestar officers last year. The officers were working from the now closed Redmond Periphery Station House.

Documents presented to the mayors office by an unnamed source reveal that the station house was a “dumping ground� for undesirables within the company. Those that spoke out, those that breached the so called “yellow wall� were sent to this station and issued insufficient equipment and manpower for their job description. Breaking the companies own rules for safety and conduct in many cases.

The company has responded that the mayors office is slandering their good name in an attempt to leverage a better contract during the cities upcoming renegotiation of their eight year contract set to expire next year.

“The mayor office has in their possession all of the relevant documentation proving that the massacre was the result of a terrorist act committed by the gang the War Lords. This gang used a mole within the department to allow the gang into the armed station house and to circumvent all of its security counter measures.� said Lonestar PR VP Edward Rose.

The mayors office responded by stating that all Lonestar needs to do is produce the security camera tapes in open court to be viewed by all. This should quickly shed light on the issue of blame. But to date Lonestar has failed to produce the tapes, citing the companies compliance with classified documents policy.

Misty Endings
A strange mist was reported emanating from the sewers in downtown last night. Those caught in the mist report strange visions of horrible creatures killing people in a strange village. Every person interviewed reported the same visions with few minor differences. A wagemage for Gaetronics, was reported as the only casualty. He was found dead, a look of stark terror on his face, after the mist retreated. Would you like to know more?

Terror in the Realm Below
For the last week sewer workers have reported numerous mutilated corpses being found within the sewers. Many of those found have been SINless sewer dwelling metahumans. So far Lonestar has done nothing but collect the bodies perform routine data gathers. No full scale investigation has been initiated.

Many homeless that once found shelter in the sewers are returning to the streets. Most holding to tales of creatures made of light and stone stealing people away. Days latter their corpses are found on well traveled tunnel routs. Tortured to death and then their corpses brutalized post-mortum.

Lonestar PR rep Victoria Brown made a statement yesterday attributing the increase on the “brewing gang war in the streets�.

Sewer and utility workers have begun to refuse to return to the tunnels until whatever is killing people is found and removed.

The Mayor stated during a fund raiser, last night, that "Those people have contracts for work. They cannot refuse the work, it is vital for the city that these workers stay on the job."

Metal Terror at Worksite
Three anthroform MCT-HL14 heavy labor drones went rogue last week from a construction site in Tacoma last night. The three drones rampaged through the area for about an hour before being taken down by Lonestar SWAT. Would you like to know more?

cryptoknight
How do you guys write this stuff?

It's brilliant, and I've always wanted to have news clips ever since seeing them in Dreamchipper (my first module)...

But I've never been able to write up a ragsheet that I felt was any good... this stuff is awesome!
hermit
Me, I usually use either current news and twist them a bit or stuff from previous campaigns, or it just comes to me, inspiration really is whereever. I dunno. I'm just kinda good at this stuff, I guess. My stuff above for the most part The one below is based on an SR novel, actually. Also, I try and maintain the format found in SR4 supplements for news, including a bias and a station/source that will have the bias in question. The one below is Televisa, Aztechnology's main trid/radio/matrix news syndicate.

Los Angeles, PCC (Televisa): Combat Biker Feud out of hand - Gangs solidarise with Teams
The ongoing Feud between the LA Sabers team and the New Orleans Buzzsaws seems to be escalating out of hand. Having gone on for 8 years now, starting with the death of scout Tamara Ny and captain Jonathan winger, Ny's long-time partner, at the hands of Buzzsaws captain Dougan Rose, this Combat Biker war has reached a whole new stage with the in-game rape and murder of Rose's girlfriend, elf scout and former Zoé of Paris model Francesca Douane, Rose made an passioante statement in the off-game trideo show to rally support for wiping out the Sabers - and apparently got more than he bargained for, when mysterious Green Lucifer, head of the notorious Ancients biker gang, declared war on the sabers and their fans, making any sabers fan and the players themselves targets for the Ancients and their associated gangs and shadowrunner groups.

So far, the Sabers' troll line biker Hamilton "Hammersmith" Smith and dwarf fetcher Mary "Mercury" Gonzales have been killed in drive-by shootings, three Sabers fan club chapters in Albuquerque, PCC; Boise, SSC and Queens, UCAS have been firebombed and several Sabers fans have been shot, wounded or beaten up in various acts of gang violence. While Sabers and Buzzsaws call their fans to reason, NAN and UCAS authorities have threatened legal sanctions against UCCL, and the CAS FCC has already taken the off-game UCCL show off the air in all national trideo stations, though broadcasts by pirate stations such as Deathstar III have since gained enormous popularity and seen a vast increase in CAS-based visitors.

With all the threats, violence and legal issues around, only one thing is certain: it's going to be a damn hot season this year!
DocTaotsu
That's some good news Ashrum, and welcome to dumpshock!

It's been *flips the number marker over* 10 days since our last flame war on Great Dragons or Immortal Elves.

*ducks smile.gif*

I went ahead and started posting this under "Community Project". Are you all cool with me copying pasting or do you want to post yourselves?
Fuchs
Go ahead.
hermit
Sure, go ahead.
MaxHunter
hey, I voted "no", but I used to write that kind of stuff. The situation is that I have not got that much extra time any more. Maybe it should have been an option in your poll, =)

Cheers,

Max
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 28 2008, 06:46 AM) *
Sacramento, CFS (NBS): Patch from hell makes emotitoys evil
The recent rise in Emotitoys gone mad has been traced back to a patch released last week by FunLink EmoSoft plc. The Aztechnology-affiliated company denies any charges against it's software, claiming a Technomancer terror attack. Last week, stories began to surface about emotitoys not only giving their users bad advice but also physically attacking them, clawing out eyes, biting off eats and in one case ripping a young girl's cyroid artery, causing the child's death. The patch has been taken off the net, and a fix uploaded in it's stead. Aztechnology strongly recommends downloading this patch [hyperlink] and instlling it immediately if you own an emotitoy of the Shoulder Devil, Princess Charming or BabyDrac series, and to report any irregularities observed in these models immediatly to FunLink or ACS. Also, a Cal$500.000 bounty has been put up by the corporation for the capture and handing over of the Technomancer terrorist responsible to ACS.

(flips switch) Here's your problem: someone set this thing to "evil."
Kyoto Kid
...chose # 3 only because my printer driver disk got hosed & my new system only accepts USB (which my printer is not).
hermit
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w @ Mar 29 2008, 08:46 PM) *
(flips switch) Here's your problem: someone set this thing to "evil."

grinbig.gif Yeah, that was the inspiration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012