Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forget the major! Build Brock Samson!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cardul
OK, yeah, he is a comedic character..but, you know what, the guy is fricking cool!

So, While I can guess that he would have "Exotic Weapon: Metahumans" or how often he uses other people as weapons, and I doubt he would have much obvious cyberware(Personally..I keep thinking: Physical Adept or extensive bioware)...what does everyone think would be appropriate build for Brock? (I also figure he would have a bunch of exotic weapons for all the things he picks up that were not intended to be a weapon that he kills with).

Of course, would two metahumans ith spears stuck in them, and swung around as a bloody weapon be clubs(like staffs), or would they be Exotic Weapon: Metahuman Kabobs?
Critias
Adept, with "Berserk," for starters.
Cardul
Oops..forgot to specify SR4...
Well, you know, though, I think we can figure that he is also several degrees of initiation, as well. As well as a WHOLE lot of skills...(is there an Interrogation skill? or is that covered under soemthing like Intimidation?)
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 31 2008, 02:04 AM) *
Well, you know, though, I think we can figure that he is also several degrees of initiation, as well. As well as a WHOLE lot of skills...(is there an Interrogation skill? or is that covered under something like Intimidation?)

Brock only has 3 social responses.

Intimidate.
Ignore.
Seduce.

Invoke rule zero to give him Close combat group 8 and you are basicly done.
Critias
He's got some Drive and Throwing Weapons, too. And some Athletics. Sprinkle with Adept powers as appropriate to reflect general toughness and badassery (though I still say you've got to start with Berserk), too.

But, uhh, yeah. Other than that, he's a pretty straightforward build. "Murder machine" just about sums him up. smile.gif
Snow_Fox
define the psychopathic baby sitter for Dr jonas "Rusty" Venture? Can it be done? I'll take the case! (oops wrong toon.)Definate adept with no ett. mega hand to hand, lots of contacts and lots of athletics.

QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 31 2008, 02:04 AM) *

too late! rotfl.gif

the heck with brock, what about Hank and Dean Venture? Ok just kidding.
Cardul
*hmms* Is there an Adept power that allows one to use improvised weapons without a penalty/turn anything into an improvised weapon?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 31 2008, 11:58 PM) *
*hmms* Is there an Adept power that allows one to use improvised weapons without a penalty/turn anything into an improvised weapon?

Well there is Missile Mastery. I don't know if there's a version for HTH improv weapons
Cardul
OK, so..I guess we should start with..the race and qualities?

I figure Brock would be an Ork with
Human Looking(5)
Adept(10)
Exceptional Attribute(Agility) 20

I figure this because, well, while he is not actually taller then human norm, he is definately STRONGER then human norm, and the general agreement that he would be an Adept. I figure that, of course, we will be starting with him as "young Brock" at 400 points, and then figure out how much Karma to get to where we have seen him in the show.

Given that Brock is fast, both in terms of reaction time and in terms of his movements, and is extremely accurate and good with alot of agility based skills, I figured that Exceptional Attribute would be better then giving him Aptitudes.

Opinions on this step?
Serial_Peacemaker
Well I suppose he is best with his knife and edged weapons. However I think just getting everything in the close combat group to Nine via being an Adept, and then giving him an insane reaction and intiative passes should do it. Funnily I almost think he is more a really beefed out elf, since he must have a pretty high charisma to get all the girls in bed with him.
Cardul
QUOTE (Serial_Peacemaker @ Apr 2 2008, 01:09 AM) *
Well I suppose he is best with his knife and edged weapons. However I think just getting everything in the close combat group to Nine via being an Adept, and then giving him an insane reaction and intiative passes should do it. Funnily I almost think he is more a really beefed out elf, since he must have a pretty high charisma to get all the girls in bed with him.

*hmms* Well, he is tall...I suppose Elf, Human looking would work. A portion of his powers would have to be devoted to pumping up his strength...or we handle that with some bioware.

I would almost say give him "incompetant: pistols" because the only time we ever see him use a pistol is when he throws it(which, would be using thrown weapons and Missle Mastery), and he does have that "Pistols are fruity" line..
Serial_Peacemaker
Well I suppose you could just hit him up with a maxed strength and the strength boost Adept power. Since he mostly seems to do the really crazy stuff when he is going berzerker.
Critias
He made extensive use of a dart/nail pistol in "The Incredible Mr Brisby" (Season One, ep. 4), with enough skill to repeatedly pin the falling Doctor Venture to a wall by the ankles of his pants (and then by one wrist, when his pants tore) to catch him in mid-plummet. I'm pretty sure he wasn't even looking, when he made one of the three shots. In addition, he was either in the Army or the Marines (it's been referenced twice, once for each branch), or maybe both I guess, before getting drawn into the Office of Secret Intelligence. You don't get far as a combat soldier (or a Marine) without knowing how to use a firearm.

I'd say much like Matthew Quigley (of Quigley Down Under fame), it's more a matter of Brock "never having much use" for firearms, moreso than Brock being bad with them.
Cardul
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 2 2008, 02:36 AM) *
He made extensive use of a dart/nail pistol in "The Incredible Mr Brisby" (Season One, ep. 4), with enough skill to repeatedly pin the falling Doctor Venture to a wall by the ankles of his pants (and then by one wrist, when his pants tore) to catch him in mid-plummet. I'm pretty sure he wasn't even looking, when he made one of the three shots. In addition, he was either in the Army or the Marines (it's been referenced twice, once for each branch), or maybe both I guess, before getting drawn into the Office of Secret Intelligence. You don't get far as a combat soldier (or a Marine) without knowing how to use a firearm.

I'd say much like Matthew Quigley (of Quigley Down Under fame), it's more a matter of Brock "never having much use" for firearms, moreso than Brock being bad with them.

I did say "Incompetant: pistols," not "incompetant:firearms" Any of the military people out there know how much training pistols get in Boot aymore? Dart/Nail Pistol is not a pistol, though, and thus, I would be inclined to say it would be in his massive "exotic Weapon" skill collection. Yes, I could easily see him having actual Automatics, and/or Rifles(every Marine is a rifleman first, after all) at a decent level.

Now, the real question to those suggesting Brock be a berserker...is there a way to make him one, without resorting to drugs, since, if we assume regular Adept, he cannot have the Bear Mentor(only Mystic Adepts and Magicians can have Mentor Spirits)..and I don't think Bear would work for him, anyway...
mike_the_fish
I move that a new positive Quality be made specific for Brock... "Kickass Mullet"
Critias
QUOTE (Cardul @ Apr 2 2008, 03:47 AM) *
I did say "Incompetant: pistols," not "incompetant:firearms" Any of the military people out there know how much training pistols get in Boot aymore? Dart/Nail Pistol is not a pistol, though, and thus, I would be inclined to say it would be in his massive "exotic Weapon" skill collection. Yes, I could easily see him having actual Automatics, and/or Rifles(every Marine is a rifleman first, after all) at a decent level.

Not very much, but remember he was much more than just that soldier/Marine, he then got tossed into the SHIELD-esque world of the OSI. I'm pretty sure our super-cool CIA assassin/spy/field agent types still get some pistol work in.

I guess I just don't see why you think he needs the Incompetence. I've always viewed it as Brock not using pistols because he doesn't need them -- in close enough for a handgun to work, he's just deadlier with his bare hands, his knife, or an impromptu weapon. When more firepower is called for (at longer ranges or against some god-awful opponent against whom his strength isn't enough), it's normally a target that needs a machinegun or a sniper rifle or something anyways.

Now, the real question to those suggesting Brock be a berserker...is there a way to make him one, without resorting to drugs, since, if we assume regular Adept, he cannot have the Bear Mentor(only Mystic Adepts and Magicians can have Mentor Spirits)..and I don't think Bear would work for him, anyway...

Uhh, you just give in the "Berserk" Adept power, like I've been saying. From Street Magic.
Cardul
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 2 2008, 03:23 AM) *
Uhh, you just give in the "Berserk" Adept power, like I've been saying. From Street Magic.

Doh! I totally missed that!
Cardul
OK, so far:

Elf with

Positive Qualities
Adept
Human Looking
Exceptional Attribute(Strength) (since as an elf he doesn't need agility upped, but does need more strength)

Negative Qualities:
SINner(he has a fricking Special Agent License! That he can show military people around the world! I think that
rates an actual SIN)

With, so far, the Adept powers:
Strength Boost
Berserker
Missile Mastery

Any other negative qualities people think he might have?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 31 2008, 09:24 PM) *
the heck with brock, what about Hank and Dean Venture? Ok just kidding.

Dean got the "total package" which means that he is a Cyberpunk 2020 character. Or failing that, he probably got tailored pheromone augmentation. It explains why Triana Orpheus thought he was cute.

-Frank
mike_the_fish
She pitied him, never thought he was cute. So unless he's going to get Tailored Pheremones that enhance his aura of patheticness, I don't think that fits lol
Cardul
Back to Brock. Thank you. You want to build hank and dean, please start your own thread wink.gif I won't stop you.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mike_the_fish @ Apr 2 2008, 05:31 AM) *
She pitied him, never thought he was cute. So unless he's going to get Tailored Pheremones that enhance his aura of patheticness, I don't think that fits lol

QUOTE (Venture Brothers @ Episode 20)
Kim: So are the Venture Brothers cute?
Triana: Well, Dean…he’s kind of cute. He dresses like Buddy Holly.
Kim: That’s kinda cute.
Triana: Yeah, but I think he does it accidentally.

Triana thinks that Dean is a dork (unsurprisingly), but she does think he is cute. Much more so than Hank who she describes as dressing like Fred from Scooby Doo. I believe this comes from this:

QUOTE (Venture Brothers @ Episode 9)
Master Billy Quizboy: I hooked you up with the 'Total Package' if you know what I mean.
Dean: No, I don't.

-Frank
Ed_209a
QUOTE (mike_the_fish @ Apr 2 2008, 02:48 AM) *
I move that a new positive Quality be made specific for Brock... "Kickass Mullet"

The bartender in the ep where Brock got his license back called it the "Frankenmullet". (Among his last words, incidentally.)
b1ffov3rfl0w
Having a mullet is basically the true test of Charisma. If you can look cool with a mullet, you can look cool no matter what.
Cardul
Ok, so..since no-one disagreed with the race and positive qualities, I will take that as agreement.

What negative qualities does anyone think Brock might have?
As I said, I can see SINner, due to his Secret Agent License. Any others people think the Murder Machine might have?
Whipstitch
Brock has a stupidly huge pile of Edge. There's really no other way to explain what he does, since his super power is basically killing people. As the Monarch explained, he goes sickhouse on people's asses.
Fresno Bob
And The Monarch likes his ass.

And elf? Are you serious? Come on. Brock Samson is no elf.
Cardul
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Apr 2 2008, 10:52 PM) *
And The Monarch likes his ass.

And elf? Are you serious? Come on. Brock Samson is no elf.

Well, I did originally suggest: Ork, Human Looking, Exceptional Attribute: Agility. I figure that, if we were to build Brock in SR, well...it was said well by, I think, The Monarch: "He's just not human!"
FrankTrollman
I would personally call him a human looking Ogre. Keep hat Charisma up so he can get with the sexing.

-Frank
KarmaInferno
Hmm... how to stat out his "stick people's fingers up their own bums" maneuver.

He also has some medical know-how. He found a lump when squeezing a minion's dangly bits.

smile.gif

Yeah but he didn't identify it, I think he was just like "You mihgt wanna get that checked out".

Brock is really more of a Feng Shui character than an SR character, I think.
Cardul
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w @ Apr 3 2008, 01:48 PM) *
Brock is really more of a Feng Shui character than an SR character, I think.

Anything is an SR character! Like I said: let's start with the 400 point "young Brock", and, from there, build him up and figure out how much Karma would be needed after we figure out his final stats to go from Young Brock to Murder Machine Brock wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...letsee:

B: 2, A: 3, R: 3 C: 2 S: 2, I: 3, L: 2 W: 3, E: 5 Ess: 6 M: - R: -

Active Skills:
Running 3 (Skateboarding +2)
Gymnastics 2 (Trick Skateboarding +2)
Intimidation 3 (Taunting +2)
Con 4
Exotic Ranged Weapons (Slingshot) 5

Knowledge
Knowledge: Insults 3
Knowledge: Comic Books: 3 (Radiation Man +2)
Area Knowledge 4 (Springfield)

Language: English (N)

Qualities:
NQ: Addiction: Moderate (Super Squishies)
NQ: Impulsive
NQ: Incompetent: Academics

PQ: Guts (will never back down from a dare)
PQ: High Pain Tolerance 1 (maybe 2)

Contacts:
Abu (Quickie Mart owner) L 2 / C 2
Otto (School Bus Driver) L 3 /C 2
Comic Book Guy: (Comics shop owner) L 1 / C 3
Milhouse: Best Freind L: 5 - 6 / C: 0

Gear:

Skateb-

...oh, Brock Samson, I thought it was Build Bart Simpson. Cowabunga dude, this viral medication is messing with my head....
Cardul
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 3 2008, 05:15 PM) *
...oh, Brock Samson, I thought it was Build Bart Simpson. Cowabunga dude, this viral medication is messing with my head....

*face palms* Wow...yeah, KK...I think it is..you got some GOOD meds there!
Edge2054
Brock's human >.> Why alter his race? Are we trying to make the ork or elf version of Brock?

His build and abilities could be as easily ascribed to bio/cyber or adept powers at they could to tacking on a race that doesn't fit him. Muscle Replacements. Bam, Brock's huge. Tailored Pheromones. Bam, Brock gets laid. Or hell just give him high stats, lots of skills, and skip all the crap he probably doesn't have.

Alright, rant off.

I think high edge would make a lot of sense. I also think pain tolerance somewhere would be appropriate, I seem to recall one episode were he looked like he should have been in the hospital but was still kicking ass while holding his guts together (figuratively). He did look like he was in pain but had that sorta grit your teeth and keep pushing mentality about it.

I don't think I've ever seen him really berserk... kick a lot of ass and get pissed but not what I'd consider berserk berserk. Then again I haven't seen much of the new season at all.
Critias
"Berserk" as the Adept power in SR4 means a +1 to all physical stats, and a -1 to all mental. I'd say any time Brock's face is scrunching up, he's squining, and he's roaring and ripping heads off with his bare hands, he'd qualify.
Cardul
QUOTE (Edge2054 @ Apr 4 2008, 05:10 AM) *
Brock's human >.> Why alter his race? Are we trying to make the ork or elf version of Brock?

His build and abilities could be as easily ascribed to bio/cyber or adept powers at they could to tacking on a race that doesn't fit him. Muscle Replacements. Bam, Brock's huge. Tailored Pheromones. Bam, Brock gets laid. Or hell just give him high stats, lots of skills, and skip all the crap he probably doesn't have.

Alright, rant off.

I think high edge would make a lot of sense. I also think pain tolerance somewhere would be appropriate, I seem to recall one episode were he looked like he should have been in the hospital but was still kicking ass while holding his guts together (figuratively). He did look like he was in pain but had that sorta grit your teeth and keep pushing mentality about it.

I don't think I've ever seen him really berserk... kick a lot of ass and get pissed but not what I'd consider berserk berserk. Then again I haven't seen much of the new season at all.

Well, you could say his build is bioware, except he had it when he was a college football player. The reason I originally said Ork with human looking is because, simply put, that to me seems to work best to describe his physical ability. Since I figure any college student in the 6th world is going to be as poor as a student in the Real World(Ramen-loaf! Yumm!), he could not have the extensive bioware to get all that back then.

Also, as I said, there are all of those instances where people comment outloud that Brock is just not human(ok..so it is mostly the Monarch saying that). Additionally, I also think that, when converting fictional characters, generally speaking, you notice how everyone seems to be human? Even when another Metatype would fit them better? Now, I admit that, personally, I think Brock would be more inclined to be a "Human Looking Ork" due to his being larger and noticably stronger and tougher then everyone else.

And, I definately agree with Critias that Brock does, indeed go berserk.
knasser
Brock as an elf I would never have thought of, but once mentioned it works brilliantly. Firstly he has a lot of grace and charisma. Secondly elves don't actually have any sort of Strength or Body penalty in the rules. There are just the same percentage of elves have Strength 6 as of humans. And 6 is around "world's strongest." Do we really need Brock to go higher than that (I mean before Adept powers).

You'll never manage to stat up all of his unique powers however. How exactly are you going to replicate his ability to break someone's wrist and use their pain-wracked body as a cudgel with his sphincter? (Ghost Pirates episode).

EDIT: As regards all the comment about super-high Charisma and tailored pheremones to account for his having sexual partners... Yes, it's amazing that the human race has actually managed to perpetuate itself with such a small subset of males able to actually have sex with someone. :rolleyes:
mike_the_fish
QUOTE (Edge2054 @ Apr 4 2008, 06:10 AM) *

Watch episode one - the one where they go to Mexico. Watch the scene where he's driving his car, and running people down. Watch the facial expressions and the psychotic eye-tick he's got going. Do this, and I think you will agree that Beserk is entirely appropriate.
Edge2054
Alright, I agree he berserks.

What about the dart thing in that episode? Super high body, some way to deal with knock out poisons, or does berserk cover that?
Method
I think he should have a single specialized combat skill called "Killing" at a 7 that applies to any and all situations where he intends to harm another being by any means.

Brock: "I wanna throw a pen into the guys eye from across the room."
GM: "Okay, roll your Agility + Killing"

Brock: "I'd like to steer my Charger into a 180Ëš brake-stand and take the guys legs off at the knees."

Brock: "I reach in through the guy's ears and pull out his liver."

And maybe 4 levels of a special martial art that all add +4DP and +4DV to any and all attacks.
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 5 2008, 10:46 AM) *
EDIT: As regards all the comment about super-high Charisma and tailored pheremones to account for his having sexual partners... Yes, it's amazing that the human race has actually managed to perpetuate itself with such a small subset of males able to actually have sex with someone. :rolleyes:

Totally. Plus, we basically see him hook up with a stripper and then get to like "second or third base" with Molotov Cocktease.
Whipstitch
Honestly, I'd just give him a point of Con specialized in Seduction along with the note that he can be considered to have the "subject has romantic attraction to character" bonus in many situations (especially with strippers and luchadores).
Kyoto Kid
..oh, forgot a most important NQ for Bart

NQ Paranoid: Sideshow Bob out to murder him. grinbig.gif
Daier Mune
QUOTE (Cardul @ Apr 5 2008, 12:56 AM) *
And, I definately agree with Critias that Brock does, indeed go berserk.

QUOTE (mike_the_fish @ Apr 6 2008, 01:23 AM) *
Watch episode one - the one where they go to Mexico. Watch the scene where he's driving his car, and running people down. Watch the facial expressions and the psychotic eye-tick he's got going. Do this, and I think you will agree that Beserk is entirely appropriate.

QUOTE (Edge2054 @ Apr 6 2008, 04:24 AM) *
Alright, I agree he berserks.

What about the dart thing in that episode? Super high body, some way to deal with knock out poisons, or does berserk cover that?

wouldn't a R3 Adrenal Pump do the same trick (better, actualy) than the Bezerk Power?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012