Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hongkong 2070, chinese traditions and you
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
It trolls!
Hey there,

in a recent focus shift, we decided to try something different in the group I'm GMing and will now start a new campaign in Hongkong. All of us have only gunned our way through western metroplexes so I want to represent the difference between Seattle and HK by confronting the players with chinese traditions, oddities, rites and superstition.
I found that a first run around the chinese new year 2070 would be an interesting opportunity to do so. While numerical information is easily googled, I'm not really grasping the meaning of many things. After all I have no clue of chinese Buddhism at all.

Ok, so Feb. 11, 2070 is the date of the corresponding Chinese New Year, it will be a year of the tiger and the associated Wu Xing element is metal. Wikipedia tells me that the tiger is associated with power, royalty and respect. The king of beasts.
Metal is associated with rigidity, unyieldingness, strength and determination.
This is easy to find but understanding and integrating such elements into the setting proves a problem to me. Until now I haven't found anything on what Tiger and Metal mean in correlation to each other and the few pages on chinese culture in Runner Havens don't suffice for me. I think I might not be alone on this one with HK now being an official location and that someone has either already explored this on his own or just might be a bit more knowledgeable.

I thought about basing the intro run upon forcing someone to break some superstition but I can hardly see how cutting someone's hair or sweeping his floor on New Year's day alone make for a good shadowrun. I might let the job be something ordinary but I want them to feel how everything ticks different around these days. Connections acting strange, the characters being held back by their own beliefs or getting in trouble because they're gwailos and unexpectedly caused someone bad luck.

Any general tips are appreciated.
Malicant
If you have access to Runner Havens, make your players read the Hond Kong chapter. Beyond that watch some Hong Kong action flicks to get the right mood biggrin.gif
Wounded Ronin
Big Trouble In Little China.

Be sure to use the term "ancien Chinee sekeret" a lot.
Crusher Bob
The Chinese new year is a 3 day holiday here in Hong Kong, starting on the day of the new year plus the two days afterwards. If one of those holidays falls on a Sunday, it will be bumped to Monday. Note that a lot of people work on Saturdays (or half Saturday) and the banks are typically open until noon.

Note that you will still see Chinese New year related stuff afterwards since most business are closed during the new year. For example, the dragon dance at our building happened after the new year, since around half of the shops were shut (making this building one of the few that was still running during the new year). I think even grocery stores and similar things are shut on the new years, but I tend to work long hours on holidays like that, so don't tend to pay too much attention.

There will be some people out on the street burning hell money and otherwise making offers to their ancestors, but otherwise it's pretty quiet (GIS: burning hell money). You'll also see little plates of food left out, and the little shrines that are just about everywhere will have a lot of incense burning/burned in them (GIS: small shrine hong kong). Of course, I'm working during the new year, so I can't see too much of what happens on the street during the day-time.

People will also be giving each other 'lucky money' in small red envelopes (the red envelopes are called 'lai see' in Cantonese). Note that these envelopes are typically also given on other occasions such as weddings, birthdays, and funerals. For good occasions, the money should be an even number, and multiples of 8 and number ending in 8 are lucky (88, 168, etc). For funerals, I think the custom is different, not sure. You should avoid the unlucky numbers of 4 and 14.

There will be at least one fireworks display over the harbour, usually around 8pm, along with random fireworks going off at most hours of the day and night. I'd also guess that there would be parades, possibly in the street of Wan Chai, or at Victoria Park in Causeway Bay. I'm not sure where the parades in the New Territories would be.
Iracundus
If SR Hong Kong is anything like the real Hong Kong, then you will find a lot of stuff and business just goes into standby mode during the Chinese New Year which is a public holiday. Restaurants, consumer shopping malls and street stores will do big business as most people will be taking time off to spend with family and friends.

If you're unmarried, it's also a good time for supplementary income in the form of "red packets" given by married family members. If you're married, be prepared to bleed out cash as umarried relatives, friends, and contacts come out of the woodwork. So you could justify "holiday rate" pay for runners (or demanded by them), though it would likely be considered in bad taste to out and out say it as such.

Also a time for a lot of fortune telling and feng shui business so you could do the angle of "ninja interior redocorators" as a job.
Crusher Bob
As for New Years runs: if you want something loud, try this:

For proper feng shui, a building should have water in front of it and a mountain at its back. The HSBC building is rather famous for this, since HSBC bought all the land in between the HSBC building and the harbour, so that no buildings would be build between the HSBC building and the water.

Due to some circumstances the bank does not wish to discuss, someone has gotten control of this land away from the bank and are busy building a building there, to try to screw with the banks feng shui. The bank would like you to carry their displeasure to all those involved in this enterprise. Go and get all Qin dynasty on their asses.
Iracundus
Actually the HSBC bank is also famous for the two lions at its main front entrance, chosen for feng shui reasons to "guard" the bank's money. Legend has it that one day one of the lions was removed for cleaning or maintenance or something mundane like that and the bank's fortunes and the Hong Kong stock market fell drastically that day, to recover only when the lion was put back. Incidentally the bank also lacks a "4th" floor.
Wounded Ronin
Ohh, oohh, oooohhh! Watch Bloodsport. The key to portraying Hong Kong is to film a crowded alley where lots of people live and work but to play ominous music in the background and somehow try to irrationally creepify it for the general American viewing audience.

Oh, and also...KUMITE, KUMITE! (but we're in Hong Kong)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUJ7PLL6jQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xP886tEC0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vkEWzBCLyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ1WSh2JWQ
Dr. John Desmond
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Apr 1 2008, 12:19 AM) *
People will also be giving each other 'lucky money' in small red envelopes (the red envelopes are called 'lai see' in Cantonese). Note that these envelopes are typically also given on other occasions such as weddings, birthdays, and funerals. For good occasions, the money should be an even number, and multiples of 8 and number ending in 8 are lucky (88, 168, etc). For funerals, I think the custom is different, not sure. You should avoid the unlucky numbers of 4 and 14.

This in itself lends an excellent idea for a run, where the runners deliver a 'lai see' envelope to some big wig or corporate honcho during the new year festivities. Maybe 56 nuyen.gif (4x14) in the scrip of the corp said guy pissed of or something along those lines?
It trolls!
Wow Crusher Bob, that was exactly the stuff I was looking for. I read about some of it already but I think I'd never have thought about something like the HSBC building. That's definitely one I'm going to use *add's 'read book on Feng Shui' to his list.
Is there more to the meaning of the year's animal zodiac or it's element that I should know? And are there any typical mistakes a foreigner will make during the New Years celebrations?
True Believer
QUOTE (Dr. John Desmond @ Mar 31 2008, 09:48 PM) *
This in itself lends an excellent idea for a run, where the runners deliver a 'lai see' envelope to some big wig or corporate honcho during the new year festivities. Maybe 56 nuyen.gif (4x14) in the scrip of the corp said guy pissed of or something along those lines?

It's a good way for a underworld baddy to give you the "kiss of death" like warning that you're going to die soon too.
stormcrow
To add some flavor to the original question,
Tigers: Leap before they look, but lucky in the landing
Yang (ie. active, outward directed)
Rebels and generals
They are part of the Protector Triad (along with Horses and Dogs, iirc)
Wood is their core element. Wood is associated with anger and growth. Metal weakens wood (ie. chops it or prunes the tree) Metal is associated with sadness.

Perhaps the runners are hired to redress a crime of anger, by dealing great sadness, or must balance out a debt to bring a powerful Tiger out of depression (and gain a powerful ally.)

From wikipedia:

金 Metal

* The West(西)
* Autumn(秋)
* White Tiger(白虎)
* The Planet Venus(金星)
* The Color White(白)
* Respiratory system & Lungs(肺)
* Determined, Self-reliant, Unyielding, Strong, Tenacious, Forceful
* Reserved, Needs Personal Space, Sophisticated, Seeks pleasure, caring, respectful

Metal Governs the Monkey (strongest metal), Rooster, Dog (weakest metal)

# Tiger (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fixed Element Wood): Unpredictable, rebellious, colorful, powerful, passionate, daring, impulsive, vigorous, stimulating, sincere, affectionate, humanitarian, generous. Can be restless, reckless, impatient, quick-tempered, obstinate, selfish.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (It trolls! @ Apr 1 2008, 04:32 PM) *
And are there any typical mistakes a foreigner will make during the New Years celebrations?

Getting drunk, vomiting on the street, and being hit up for the fixed fine for littering (around 190 USD)? Come on it's like being afraid of being gunned down on the streets of the US during during the celebration of their independence day. Everyone knows how gun happy the yanks are, and their independence day has got to be a bad day to be a foreigner on the streets of Houston, right?
Crusher Bob
Another thing worth looking at is the ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption). Pay attention to the history section, where they talk about what Hong Kong used to be like:

QUOTE (ICAC web page)
Corruption was rampant in the public sector. Ambulance crews would demand tea money before picking up a sick person and firemen would solicit money before turning on the hoses to put out a fire. Even hospital amahs asked for "tips" before giving patients a bedpan or a glass of water. Offering bribes to the right officials was also necessary when applying for public housing, schooling and other public services. Corruption was particularly serious in the Police Force. Corrupt police officers offered protection to vice, gambling and drug activities.

So decide if you want your Hong Kong to be the Hong Kong before the ICAC, with the Kowloon walled city, and the waterborne slums; or more like the modern Hong Kong.
It trolls!
Yup, but if you have a job pending on independence day, you have to get into those streets of Houston and please Mr. Johnson. Meaning you probably can't choose whether to run into some dunk yanks wink.gif
Blade
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Apr 1 2008, 11:18 AM) *
Getting drunk, vomiting on the street, and being hit up for the fixed fine for littering (around 190 USD)?

Isn't the fine for littering 5,000HK$?
Anyway, last time I got drunk and vomited on the street (the Avenue of Stars, no less), I just woke up to two policemen asking if I was ok, answered that I wasn't feeling that great but I'd be ok, and got back to my slumber. When I woke up again I was still at the same place and there was no fine I could see.

As for the new Year, it's also the time when people pay back debts.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Apr 1 2008, 04:31 AM) *
Another thing worth looking at is the ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption). Pay attention to the history section, where they talk about what Hong Kong used to be like:

My first GM ever was an ICAC officer....

I've been corrupted ever since! smile.gif
DireRadiant
There's a building with a hole in the middle of it... Feng Shui reason of course.

The fireworks on Chinese New Year's are amazing. Really really amazing.

Did you know the fireworks are meant to scare away the bad ghosts and spirits? What if the fireworks didn't go off, or work as well as they should have? Would there be some corporation interested in making that happen? Only the Runners know...
Iracundus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_China...n_and_feng_shui

For more feng shui madness, check out the above wikipedia on the Bank of China building in Hong Kong. Its aggressive "cleaver" like stance directed at the HSBC building may not be accidental. Apparently it also triggered some of the nearby buildings to take feng shui counter measures. Talk about a feng shui arms race.

FlakJacket
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Apr 1 2008, 10:31 AM) *
Another thing worth looking at is the ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption).

Ah yes, also know as "Investigating Chinese Ancient Customs" or even "I Can Accept Cash". biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Iracundus @ Apr 1 2008, 05:35 AM) *
Actually the HSBC bank is also famous for the two lions at its main front entrance, chosen for feng shui reasons to "guard" the bank's money. Legend has it that one day one of the lions was removed for cleaning or maintenance or something mundane like that and the bank's fortunes and the Hong Kong stock market fell drastically that day, to recover only when the lion was put back. Incidentally the bank also lacks a "4th" floor.

That might be an interesting run. Apparently there are four pairs of statues - one pair outside the Hong Kong building, one pair outside the London one, the original pair in a museum in Shanghai and the fourth pair outside the old HSBC Building in Shanghai. If the feng shui story about their luck is correct what would happen if the company were to 'double down' as it were and have two sets of lions outside their Hong Kong and London buildings, double the luck? And if the musem or the building owners in Shanghai can't be persuaded to part with their lions for a reasonable price, well... wink.gif
FlakJacket
Edit: Double post.
Iracundus
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Apr 2 2008, 06:22 AM) *
Ah yes, also know as "Investigating Chinese Ancient Customs" or even "I Can Accept Cash". biggrin.gif

That might be an interesting run. Apparently there are four pairs of statues - one pair outside the Hong Kong building, one pair outside the London one, the original pair in a museum in Shanghai and the fourth pair outside the old HSBC Building in Shanghai. If the feng shui story about their luck is correct what would happen if the company were to 'double down' as it were and have two sets of lions outside their Hong Kong and London buildings, double the luck? And if the musem or the building owners in Shanghai can't be persuaded to part with their lions for a reasonable price, well... wink.gif

Not sure whether more would necessarily be better given then they'd have then have that unlucky 4. Having "dead" lions at one's door probably doesn't help.

Given that SR Hong Kong has a reborn Walled City, I'd say the ICAC or whatever title it goes under is either impotent or a pawn of the various major players. If a certain corp is getting too powerful, the ICAC gets paid/bribed to expose a scandal whether real or manufactured. If the triads are getting too uppity, a publicized crackdown occurs. Having the veneer and facade of fairness, even if they all know otherwise, is in the interests of the government and corps.
nathanross
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 1 2008, 12:39 AM) *
Ohh, oohh, oooohhh! Watch Bloodsport. The key to portraying Hong Kong is to film a crowded alley where lots of people live and work but to play ominous music in the background and somehow try to irrationally creepify it for the general American viewing audience.

Oh, and also...KUMITE, KUMITE! (but we're in Hong Kong)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUJ7PLL6jQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xP886tEC0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vkEWzBCLyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YZ1WSh2JWQ

Damn Wounded Ronin, what is wrong with you? wink.gif

You seem to have a nasty thing for bad 80s movies, LOL.
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (Dr. John Desmond @ Apr 1 2008, 12:48 AM) *

Or it's got hell money in it.
fool
i tend to think of metal as being about boundaries. The metal of the body is related to skin, lungs, large intestine, all of which relate to boundaries of the body.
A good low level run might involve one gang/triads turf being invaded by another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012