Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are there any SR3 Conversions out there?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocEldritch
I finally got around to converting over from SR3, even though I have had a copy of the SR4 rules pretty much since they came out, and am starting to tool up for a game again, and have been looking around for conversions from a lot of the old SR3 info, especially stuff from the Companion, such as the extra metatypes like Ghouls and Shifters. Has anyone done any work on these (I seem to vaguely recall a thread about them LONG ago, but cannot find it now) or any other nifty conversion stuff?

On a slightly different topic as well, any hints, tricks, or advice for a long time GM about to jump back into the SR pool? I am pretty familiar with SR3, and have been rereading SR4 to get up to speed (and then will have to start working on all the new sourcebooks smile.gif ), but the last couple years have been a mix of non-gaming (darn real life interfering! smile.gif ) and finishing up our old group's M&M game.
paws2sky
I'm sure others will mention it, but try using the search feature. Maybe you'll actually have some luck with it (I hate the damn thing, personally).

You might also check the Community Projects section.

EDIT: In the interest of actually being helpful, here are a couple threads I've flagged for reference:
Ghouls
More Ghouls
Shapeshifters
Sample Characters Revised
Ancient History
Or you could just wait for Runner's Companion.
Malicant
Waiting is lame. biggrin.gif
DocEldritch
Great, an excellent place to start, thanks.

I read something about the Runner Companion, but since it is not even on the list of upcoming books (as far as I can see), that means there is no real release date to plan around, and probably will be several months (at least) before it sees print. So no reason not to go with fan conversions, until it actually is available.

nathanross
Here's a thread I started up: An SR4 Shadowrun Companion

Mainly contains info from other threads, and I haven't yet gotten around to stating Drakes yet.
Malicant
Drakes are a pain in the ass. No matter how much they cost, they are never worth it. A crapload of powers you can't use because otherwise you attract more attention to you then a talking dog at Oprah's. I seriously don't know what to do with them. They didn't translate well into SR.
nathanross
QUOTE (Malicant @ Apr 1 2008, 02:27 PM) *
Drakes are a pain in the ass. No matter how much they cost, they are never worth it. A crapload of powers you can't use because otherwise you attract more attention to you then a talking dog at Oprah's. I seriously don't know what to do with them. They didn't translate well into SR.

This is true. They shake the boat and they don't even have a whole lot to show for it. Much better as an NPC around which a campaign could be based than as a PC that ruins the rest of the teams lives. The only option I have seen is instead of the +20 hunted quality, the 20BP positive quality Dragon benefactor. In this case you have a GD as a contact (mainly one way) and will have to take on runs for free when they request it. In return you have semi freedom. Could at least be playable.
Malicant
I wouldn't say you will run for free, since GDs still pay their employees, but you will not have the option of refusing or failing the job. biggrin.gif
DocEldritch
QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 1 2008, 01:17 PM) *
Here's a thread I started up: An SR4 Shadowrun Companion

Mainly contains info from other threads, and I haven't yet gotten around to stating Drakes yet.

Ah, this is exactly the post I was thinking of, thanks for finding it! I know that if I can manage to get my "The Further Adventures of Billy and Jhonny" game going, the troll Combat Biker had some SURGE effects in SR3, and would like to be able to carry them over.

On the topic of drakes, yeah, I always found them really hard to fit into a group of runners. I toyed with the idea of doing a short campaign with just a couple players, all of whom were drakes, but that never really gelled in my thoughts. I do like the idea of changing the "Hunter" quality to a "Patron" one that is both a disadvantage and advantage (depending on the situation). That might actually make a drake playable in a mixed group without totally messing things up.
nathanross
QUOTE (DocEldritch @ Apr 1 2008, 07:50 PM) *
Ah, this is exactly the post I was thinking of, thanks for finding it! I know that if I can manage to get my "The Further Adventures of Billy and Jhonny" game going, the troll Combat Biker had some SURGE effects in SR3, and would like to be able to carry them over.

On the topic of drakes, yeah, I always found them really hard to fit into a group of runners. I toyed with the idea of doing a short campaign with just a couple players, all of whom were drakes, but that never really gelled in my thoughts. I do like the idea of changing the "Hunter" quality to a "Patron" one that is both a disadvantage and advantage (depending on the situation). That might actually make a drake playable in a mixed group without totally messing things up.

(Crying tears of joy) I'm glad someone actually wanted to read it! I will add in Frank Trollman's version of Ghouls when I have a chance.

One thing I never really liked about drakes is that they were all Vanilla Dragons. I wanted to play little Eastern Dragons and Feathered Serpents, Western Dragons are too boring. I also didn't see why they should be only Western style. I guess it originates back in Earthdawn, but I'm not really sure why, perhaps someone can enlighten me.
DocEldritch
Personally, I always thought that HOW a drake looked would be up to the GM/Player, since game stat wise, there was no real difference. I'd have no issue with a player (assuming I let them play a drake) that wanted theirs to look like a miniature feathered serpent or eastern dracoform, as opposed to the standard western style. Heck, I would probably even be willing to work with them to adjust a stat or power slightly to better fit their idea, long as it was not going into the overpowered territory!
nathanross
The funny thing about drakes is also that unless your game is done in pink mohawk style (whoever posted this earlier, my hat is off to you), transforming into a Drake and actually using your awesome stats instantly turns a run into plan B. It is kind of hard to sneak around as a mini dragon. You also are 1/billion in the sprawl and your Dragon mentor will not be too happy if you are always pulling down the heat. So it really comes down to when do you actually get to use your cool abilities and whether they are worth the massive cost. I guess the same sort of goes for shapeshifters, but they are at least lower profile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012