Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DNI
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KurenaiYami
I should preface this with the fact that I have only the BBB (fourth printing), so my information is lacking in this subject.

The book does mention DNI, and a few examples in the book even have characters utilizing DNI...but what do I need for it?

Is a commlink already equipped to accept mental commands? If so, what's the point of the keyboard they come equipped with?

And what are the limits of DNI? Can I send a text message with it? And if so, why have AR gloves for the digital keyboard?

Thanks for listening to my rapid-fire questions, and I'd appreciate any help you can give. I feel as though it's right in front of me and I can't see it.
nathanross
QUOTE (KurenaiYami @ Apr 1 2008, 11:33 PM) *
The book does mention DNI, and a few examples in the book even have characters utilizing DNI...but what do I need for it?

Almost all cyberware has a DNI as it is hooked into your nervous system/brain. You can interface with external devices through a DNI if you have a trode net or datajack.

Is a commlink already equipped to accept mental commands? If so, what's the point of the keyboard they come equipped with?

A commlink is now the computer for all seasons and reasons. In SR, computers can be accessed/used solely with your mind while in VR (Virtual Reality). When you go into VR, your body stops moving and your senses are virtually stopped (so you don't kick and flail about), this is called RAS override (I forget what RAS stands for). The keyboard is for when are on the train or just walking along the street and you don't want to jump into VR. Or you can use AR (Augmented Reality) which is pretty much a virtual reality that you walk around in. In AR, you can use special gloves and an AR keyboard (doesn't actually exist but you think it does!) or interface to do what you need to do. Quite convenient.

And what are the limits of DNI? Can I send a text message with it? And if so, why have AR gloves for the digital keyboard?

In SR3 there was a cyberware device called a transponder that allowed you to type/communicate straight from your brain. We have houseruled that if you have an implanted commlink in SR4 then you can do this. Otherwise, it is up to you. Of course you can send messages in VR, it just kind of leaves you open for attack you know?
Larme
I've been through this discussion before, and to make a long story short, it could be clearer biggrin.gif

Here's what I've been able to figure out: You can mentally control a device with a datajack or trode net. These can be wireless, hardwired, or skinlinked. The output of the device must be displayed somehow so you know its status. The easiest way to make this happen is through a commlink's sim module which can send AR or VR signals back from your devices right into your head. But you can also tune the output into an image link, sound link, touch link, etc. If you don't have trodes or a datajack (i.e. couldn't afford the essence for a datajack, don't want to have to wear a hat like a dork) you can control devices using AR gloves, a keyboard, voice commands, or even the scroll wheel of your commlink, like Sketchy Alex in the example in the matrix section.

As for the limits of DNI, I'm pretty sure there are effectively none. If you can think it, and the device knows how to do it, that's all you need.
DocTaotsu
DNI has been around for several decades by the time commlinks replaced decks and "pocket secretaries". As such I've always assumed that they come equiped to accept standard neural commands from trodes or "old school" datajacks. The bare mininum you need for DNI is a trode net, if you're really highspeed I think they have a nanopaste version that's pretty popular. If not it can integrated into a hat or, I think, a pair of glasses or the like.

The keyboard always struck me as existing soley for redundancy. Maybe you forgot your trode net at home and you don't feel like gettting a datajack put in. My guess is that keyboards are kinda like those legacy adapters you get with monitors and mice, you might need/want them or you might just leave them in the shrink wrap while you tool around using DNI.

As to the limits of DNI, I'm not really sure if there are any aside from "hot simming" for hacking or rigging. You can definitely send text messages, watch video etc. AR gloves are like keyboards, they're there for people who don't need/want to use a trode net but still want to use AR while they walk around doing... whatever.

Strictly speaking you don't need DNI for AR, that's what gloves and glasses are for. If you have a DNI connection you get AR but you can mix the interface with AR input (for fluff flavor, I don't think there is an actual mechanic for it).

I hope that helps a little.
KCKitsune
If the commlink you're talking about is a cyber version then you can control it with DNI. If it's an off the shelf version then you need to use a 'trode net or datajack (as everyone above said) to control it without the keyboard.

My question for everyone. If you skinlink the commlink, do you really need the 'trode net? I thought that a skinlink would allow a version of DNI.
Crusher Bob
Nope, skinlink is just a communication channel. So you could be holding a skin-linked smartgun which sends info to your skin-linked display goggles. No actual interface to the brain required.
DocTaotsu
Ah... well after some reading I have to agree with Crusher Bob. Skinlink isn't implanted so it's just another way of hooking all your gear together (without all those pesky wireless signals).

Skinlink doesn't give you DNI but it would if you hooked it up to a datajack.
KCKitsune
@Crusher Bob: thanks for answering that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012