Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 to SR4 conversion question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
john_doe
Ok. So i have been given the green-light to convert my 3rd character over to 4th. Everything with the conversion has gone well except for some 3rd edition Flaws...

Here are the flaws i am having problems with...

Flashbacks
Amnesia
Dark Secret
Colorblind

now i realize most of these could be treated as character quirks, but i was curious how others of you treated these if and when you converted a character over that had these flaws.
Lionhearted
Funny you mention it, i'd suggest you check out the mental disorder thread i posted.
got both Amnesia and Flashbacks covered there.. as for the others

Color Blind
Cost: +5 BP
A character with the Color Blind quality sees the world in black, white, and shades of gray. The character recieves a -4 dice pool penalty for any Test in which distinguishing between colors is important, such as sifting through the tangle of colored wires in a bomb to find the onw that will disarm it.
Note that Color Blind results from a neural dysfunction and cannot be cured with cyber-replacement eyes. Characters cannot take both the Blind and Color Blind qualities.

Dark Secret
Cost: +10 BP
A character with the Dark Secret quality has some terrible secret whose revelation could have dreadful consequances. Such a character may have committed a horrible crime, may be the missing heir of a murdered crime family, or may have worked for an organization such as the Universal Brotherhood or the Black Lodge, just to name a few possibilities. Every two or three game sessions, the gamemaster should orchestrate an event that threatens to expose the secret and forces the character to work to conceal it.
If a character's Dark Secret is exposesd, the quality may be replaces with a corresponding rating of Bad Reputation at the gamemaster's discretion. Alternatively, the character may attempt to redeem himself.

For the record, i didnt convert these.. im just the messenger
hermit
SR3 BP cost x 5 is a good start; a TN bonus translates into DP bonus. Qualities are fairly easy to convert actually. Gear, skills or cyber is much harder to do.
ElFenrir
Yeah, i converted all the qualities in a few minutes, actually. In just that way; take their old cost and times it by 5, and there you go. Some are redundant of course. Honestly i missed the large quantities of stuff to choose from. The smaller the list you end up seeing ''Guts'' ''Allergy to Something'' ''Pain Tolerance'' and ''Incompetent: Something'' a whole lot, simply because there aren't a ton to pick from.

And i think -1 TN=+1DP, and so on.

It only gets trickier with things like making Willpower(4) or Willpower(6) tests. You have to get a conversion for the thresholds. IMO, a 4 test is about a Threshold 2. It's average. 6 would be Threshold 3, 8 Threshold 4. 2 would be a ''just get a hit''. a Willpower test would probably become a Composure test in the new system.
john_doe
the 5 X point cost seems to work pretty well, and the GM agreed as well. So thanks to everyone for their input on that.

During this conversion, specifically the cyber/bio transfer i have noticed something. maybe it's been posted somewhere else i don't know...

but due to the cyberware the character has, i am faster in the meat then i am in the matrix? i don't know, but that just doesn't seem right.

I'll spare all the details, but when working it out, i end up with...

Meat init: 12, 4 passes
Matrix init: 11, 3 passes

did i do something wrong, or am i right to assume that i will be a faster hacker using AR over VR?
hermit
You have to install a VR booster for that fouth init pass. It's a piece of cyber that boosts IPs when in VR. No rigger should pass up on it.
nathanross
QUOTE (john_doe @ Apr 2 2008, 02:58 PM) *
Flashbacks

If the stimuli for the flashback occurs, you must make a Willpower (2) test to stop the flashbacks. If you fail, you are incapacitated for 1d6 minutes.

Amnesia

+10, +20, at +10 the character can use his skills and abilities, but has no memory of his past. At +20, the character has no idea what his past or his abilities are (the GM makes the character) and must discover this through the course of play.

Dark Secret

+10, They have a secret...

Colorblind

+5, -4DP on tasks that require distinguishing between colors.

Pretty much the same things they were in SR3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012