Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Critique my Illusionist Infiltration Mage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tarantula
Just wanted to get a few extra pairs of eyes to take a look at the sheet and let me know if I missed anything/get suggestions.

[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Shuffled some points around, picked up some snazzy sensors, gave him perception and assensing. Dropped some less useful spells. Nabbed invisibility (and he has a good camera neutralizer) so the tech shouldn't be an issue. Any other suggestions?

Edit2: Con down to 2, Assensing up to 2.
WearzManySkins
No program Software for the Comm link makes the comm link a paper weight. wink.gif

Hardware is a skill of 2 with a specialization of Maglocks?

No Stealth Suit/Gear?

Since your comm link has no method/device you can not use AR/VR.

No sustaining foci? Boy that will get tiring having multiple sustained spells.

WMS

Edited out OS
MarCazm
Maximizing Magic is in my opinion a waste of bp's. It's cheaper to raise it with karma to 6. But before that you can initiate one level.

If you want to max something do it with the spellcasting skill. It's cheaper to get it on a rating of 7 at character generation than later in the game.

aptitude for 10 bp and spellcasting 7 for 28 bp is way cheaper than buy it karma which are 48 karma to do it.

I miss some defense skills like dodge, if you won't die too fast in bulletfire.

A fighting skill may also be useful. A pistol with schockbullets or something like that. Or unarmed combat for touch attack spells.

A Talismonger contact may also come in handy.
JBlades
What WearzManySkins said accept that you seem to have an OS in Vector Xim, plus you have no vision or hearing mods and no perception, so you have zero chance of noticing security devices like laser trip wires and pressure pads.
Tarantula
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 12 2008, 02:54 PM) *
No OS and program Software for the Comm link makes the comm link a paper weight. wink.gif

Hardware is a skill of 2 with a specialization of Maglocks?

No Stealth Suit/Gear?

Since your comm link has no method/device you can not use AR/VR.

No sustaining foci? Boy that will get tiring having multiple sustained spells.

WMS

It has an OS, and no, no programs, its only there to broadcast his fake sin when he needs it to so as not to stick out. And for communication if needed.

No, no stealth suit, he has gear for getting in. Camoflage is a rather nice utility spell I think, and its rather easy for him to get 6 hits on it, making it better than a camo suit.

QUOTE (MarCazm @ Apr 12 2008, 02:58 PM) *
Maximizing Magic is in my opinion a waste of bp's. It's cheaper to raise it with karma to 6. But before that you can initiate one level.

If you want to max something do it with the spellcasting skill. It's cheaper to get it on a rating of 7 at character generation than later in the game.

aptitude for 10 bp and spellcasting 7 for 28 bp is way cheaper than buy it karma which are 48 karma to do it.

I miss some defense skills like dodge, if you won't die too fast in bulletfire.

A fighting skill may also be useful. A pistol with schockbullets or something like that. Or unarmed combat for touch attack spells.

A Talismonger contact may also come in handy.

Not really worried about optimizing at chargen vs down the road. Isn't designed to be min-maxxed as much as possible. Just a fun concept. I think clout will be useful enough as far as combat goes. He does have combat paralysis. The idea was more for him to avoid combat, using illusions and healing if he needs to. Leave the combat to the samurai.

QUOTE (JBlades @ Apr 12 2008, 03:00 PM) *
What WearzManySkins said accept that you seem to have an OS in Vector Xim, plus you have no vision or hearing mods and no perception, so you have zero chance of noticing security devices like laser trip wires and pressure pads.

0 chance? He can default for 3 dice. I'll take into consideration getting him some pimped out earbuds and contacts.
WearzManySkins
Are any of the spells you cast fetish focused?

One note that with that comm link, it can be hacked, and the microphone used to record/transmit anything it "hears" to the one who hacked it.

In one of the WitS games, a players comm link was hacked and it produced interesting issues for the characters there, right Fisty. grinbig.gif

WMS
MarCazm
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 13 2008, 12:07 AM) *
Just a fun concept. I think clout will be useful enough as far as combat goes. He does have combat paralysis. The idea was more for him to avoid combat, using illusions and healing if he needs to. Leave the combat to the samurai.

Combat paralysis only lasts for the first round and it isn't that much of a flaw. I have seen enough chas with cp having a higher ini than the sams and if it's really necessary to start first you have edge.

Avoiding combat doesn't always according to go well. So at least 1 rating in dodge with specialization in ranged combat isn't a that bad investition.
Cybergirl
Some perception dice could be purchased at a later time, but you seriously might need to add a dice or two. With an Illusionist guy, some of his jobs will probably require him going stealth/undercover, and some extra Perception would help him do that job better. Ear buds and whatnot are cool and all, but even so, I would think about getting at least a Perception skill of 2 or so.

But besides that, I really do like the character concept. Battle mages are fun and everything, but it's cool to see something like this come along. I used to play an aspected Water mage, a long time ago, who also specialized in illusions - had a lot of fun with that.
MarCazm
Assensing would also help to check magical security. Just a suggestion.
Tarantula
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 12 2008, 03:15 PM) *
Are any of the spells you cast fetish focused?

One note that with that comm link, it can be hacked, and the microphone used to record/transmit anything it "hears" to the one who hacked it.

In one of the WitS games, a players comm link was hacked and it produced interesting issues for the characters there, right Fisty. grinbig.gif

WMS

Unless he needs the commlink on, it will be turned off. Commlinks are easy enough to pickup/aquire with a team after a run or two. And its not as though you absolutely must have one to pull off a run.

QUOTE (MarCazm @ Apr 12 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Combat paralysis only lasts for the first round and it isn't that much of a flaw. I have seen enough chas with cp having a higher ini than the sams and if it's really necessary to start first you have edge.

Avoiding combat doesn't always according to go well. So at least 1 rating in dodge with specialization in ranged combat isn't a that bad investition.

No, avoiding combat doesn't, my point was such that even in combat, he is not designed to be the one taking the baddies out. He's more there to throw illusions on the enemies (such as sight removal or orgasm) to negate their combat abilities. Considering a force 6 sight removal is a drain of 2, and he throws it with 15 dice, chances are he'll be in the 4-6 success range. And with 11 dice to resist drain, chances are he'll be fine. He can probably even pull off 2-3 of them before the penalties for sustaining get to the point where its counter productive. Its what cover is for, and its why he has a periscope.

QUOTE (Cybergirl @ Apr 12 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Some perception dice could be purchased at a later time, but you seriously might need to add a dice or two. With an Illusionist guy, some of his jobs will probably require him going stealth/undercover, and some extra Perception would help him do that job better. Ear buds and whatnot are cool and all, but even so, I would think about getting at least a Perception skill of 2 or so.

But besides that, I really do like the character concept. Battle mages are fun and everything, but it's cool to see something like this come along. I used to play an aspected Water mage, a long time ago, who also specialized in illusions - had a lot of fun with that.

Stealth he can do. Undercover, no. He isn't a face. He isn't made to schmooz his way in and get what he needs. Perception is something I'm definately looking at.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 12 2008, 05:28 PM) *
Unless he needs the commlink on, it will be turned off. Commlinks are easy enough to pickup/aquire with a team after a run or two. And its not as though you absolutely must have one to pull off a run.

Yes I am sure that was supposed to happen in the WitS game but did not happen. grinbig.gif

You need to be able to deal with astral things also, a watcher or spirit can ruin you parade, yes you can sic your spirits on them too.

6 hits with your camouflage spell is not enough. Also remember that illusions like physical camouflage do not effect sounds.

Sample
Perciever is actively/looking listening +3 dice
Vision Enhancement rating 3 +3 dice
Perception skill of 1 +1 dice
Against your -6 dice the sample gains 1 die.

Start adding in the nice toys/devices/wares from Augmentation and Arsenal, you are toast. It is just that 6 is not enough, unless you plan is to never face any serious situations.

Also detection spells leave you wide open.

WMS
Tarantula
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 12 2008, 04:07 PM) *
Yes I am sure that was supposed to happen in the WitS game but did not happen. grinbig.gif

You need to be able to deal with astral things also, a watcher or spirit can ruin you parade, yes you can sic your spirits on them too.

6 hits with your camouflage spell is not enough. Also remember that illusions like physical camouflage do not effect sounds.

Its not particularly worse than anyone using improved invisibility. Especially considering the drain difference.

Sample
Perciever is actively/looking listening +3 dice
Vision Enhancement rating 3 +3 dice
Perception skill of 1 +1 dice
Against your -6 dice the sample gains 1 die.

Start adding in the nice toys/devices/wares from Augmentation and Arsenal, you are toast. It is just that 6 is not enough, unless you plan is to never face any serious situations.

Same sample vs someone running improved invis force 3 (to keep drain the same). Thats a base of 7 dice, and assuming they are specialized visual, that makes it 9, enough to reliably get the 3 hits needed. Start adding in the nice stuff from aug, like a radar sensor, and anyone using any magic to hide is screwed.

Also detection spells leave you wide open.

WMS

As open as any other infiltrator.
WearzManySkins
I was referring to things like attention coprocessor and the like.

Correct me if I am not correct, but does not physical illusion spells like camouflage affect radar sensors?

WMS
WearzManySkins
Duplicate post
Tarantula
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 12 2008, 04:42 PM) *
I was referring to things like attention coprocessor and the like.

Correct me if I am not correct, but does not physical illusion spells like camouflage affect radar sensors?

WMS

It does, but radar doesn't give color information to begin with, and as such, doesn't matter if it effects radar or not.

I've made adjustments to the char sheet, if you want to take a look.
WearzManySkins
Looks good now.

Color information is not needed to detect camouflage, yes it helps but it is not everything.

In traditional use today, you break up your outline/image, cause nothing to separate you from the background around you.

Black and white camouflage is used in winter settings, technically that is not color.

WMS
Tarantula
SM, 170, "This spell colors the subject in a camouflage pattern that mimics his surroundings."

The spell only changes your coloring, not your outline/anything else.

Aug, 36, "It is unaffected by visual tricks like camouflage and Invisibility spells. It is unable to ascertain colors, lighting, or other visual features."
Even if it didn't specifically mention camoflage, since radar doesn't pick up any color information, how camoflaged you are doens't matter.
toturi
Personally I'd drop one of the illusion spells for Trid Phantasm. But that's only if your GM allows you to use it to project the illusion that whereever you are is empty. And I'd rather you switch your focus to summoning a Spirit with the Guard power but if someone else in the party has that covered, then it is ok.

I'd also recommend switching the values for Perception and Assensing around. You are the 1 or 2 people in the group to be able to do Assensing, let the mundane guys do Perception. Also Astral Perception usually cuts through most mundane Perception bullshits like Rutherium or Ghillie suits or the Concealment power.
Tarantula
Frankly, I wouldn't even want to come close to that with trid phantasm. Whats the point of the invisibility spell, when you can use trid phantasm instead (which is muti-sense) and fool them even if they stick their hand in the trashcan you're hiding in?

As far as guard power goes, any force 1-2 spirit can still guard you just as well as a force 6, so I don't see needing the specialty in a spirit that can guard as being so important. I'd rather have it in the spirits of man, which can cast spells I know, so I can ask them to do things like cast heal for me.

And I've swapped one level over to assensing. So now I've got con 2, and assensing 2.
Cthulhudreams
Because Trid phantasm has the highest drain code out of all the illusion spells?
Tarantula
And having a slightly higher (what is it, +1?) drain code than improved invis justifies it being able to fool all senses instead of just one?

I say let invis have its niche. I don't think phantasm was intended to be used as an invisibility spell in addition to the other things it can do.
Fortune
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 13 2008, 03:57 PM) *
And having a slightly higher (what is it, +1?) drain code than improved invis justifies it being able to fool all senses instead of just one?

Actually, according to canon, if you add +1 DV to Improved Invisibility (as a custom spell), it would do exactly that. Fool all 5 senses.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 13 2008, 01:03 AM) *
Actually, according to canon, if you add +1 DV to Improved Invisibility (as a custom spell), it would do exactly that. Fool all 5 senses.

smile.gif What would RADAR sense etc fall under the 5? or would it be a sense beyond the first 5? wink.gif

But since Sensors are listed as being affected by physical illusions, and Arsenal shows the main sensor in a vehicle is RADAR, yes do not not just love the cross checking applied when the Devs and Freelancers make these books. grinbig.gif

WMS
Fortune
Actually it was me that added the '5 senses'. I believe that the book refers to 'multi-sense', which it goes on to describe as applying to all senses, technological or not.

QUOTE (Street Magic pg. 163)
Illusion Spells
As described on p. 201, SR4, Illusion spells must be either Obvious (everyone can tell they are fake) or Realistic (seemingly real). They must also be either Single-Sense (affecting only one) or Multi-Sense (affecting multiple/all senses). Mana Illusions only work against living/magical targets, whereas physical Illusion spells will affect technological devices and sensors. All Illusion spells are handled as Opposed Tests, except against inanimate objects.

Illusions that hide or conceal rather than creating sensory input—such as Invisibility—are harder, and so receive a specific Drain modifier

I was mistaken on one thing though. The 'Multi-Sense' modifier is +0 DV, where as the 'Single Sense' modifier is -2 DV, so it would be a +2 DV for Improved Invisibility Plus
Tarantula
So, while invis is defeated by radar, trid phantasm wouldn't be?

*sigh* I might just have to swap that one in there.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 13 2008, 02:49 AM) *
Actually it was me that added the '5 senses'. I believe that the book refers to 'multi-sense', which it goes on to describe as applying to all senses, technological or not.

I was mistaken on one thing though. The 'Multi-Sense' modifier is +0 DV, where as the 'Single Sense' modifier is -2 DV, so it would be a +2 DV for Improved Invisibility Plus

So technically a physical Illusion spell could be created to specifically affect RADAR? interesting, and be at a -2 DV.

WMS
Fortune
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 13 2008, 06:00 PM) *
So technically a physical Illusion spell could be created to specifically affect RADAR? interesting, and be at a -2 DV.

Sure could. The Drain Value would be equivalent to that of Improved Invisibility (another Single Sense Physical Illusion).
Edge2054
Spending more on contacts might be wise. You have one fixer who's barely a fixer and who knows you even less. On the bright side at least he'll usually answer his phone when you call. Might want to add a talismonger of some sort, maybe another chaos mage so you have some way to learn new spells without having to go through your mediocre fixer. Also doing the talismonger/chaos mage in one contact could give you a way to find a magical group should you ever choose to initiate.
Tarantula
Eh. I've always preferred to start with just a small time fixer. Gives the GM and I more fun to play out meeting people, searching them out, making friends with them and what not. I've always like the aspect of actually aquiring your contacts, not just spend some bp/karma and poof they're there.
Edge2054
Well... you can flesh contacts out before the game starts and actually should flesh them out before the game starts. Not spending build points on contacts is almost like saying poof here my character is. I mean... you don't know anyone really other then a single fixer, is your character from out of town or did he come from a black hole? If he's from out of town how did he meet his fixer?

Anyway, do what you want man, it's your character.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012