Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How A Shadowrun Happens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanRay
Well, a person new to Shadowrun, and Cyberpunk in general, asked "How does a Shadowrun really happen", so I described it from the Corporate view down, as we all know how it happens at the street level. (Just read the ShadowTalk, you get more than enough ideas!).

So, fired off this at him: A Basic Shadowrun.

Then thought about it some more, and came up with this as well: An Even More Basic Shadowrun.

Simplistic, yes, but it gives the newbies a way to look at things.

PS: Most of you won't know who "Money" Johnson is, so here is one of his stories.
DocTaotsu
The second one you wrote is an excellent 2 minute intro and it breaks people out of the whole "The only people who use runners are megas and dragons. The only way you get paid is with nuyen".

Shev
Very well done! I also love the story (even if it DOES make use of that "wireless" bulldrek). I just wish I could finish it, chapter 5 is closed to anyone without a deviantart account, and I refuse to make one of those (don't ask). If you could host the story somewhere else, that'd be awesome . wink.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Shev @ Apr 13 2008, 10:42 PM) *
Very well done! I also love the story (even if it DOES make use of that "wireless" bulldrek). I just wish I could finish it, chapter 5 is closed to anyone without a deviantart account, and I refuse to make one of those (don't ask). If you could host the story somewhere else, that'd be awesome . wink.gif

Well, 4th Edition is the only one I have experience with, so that's what I got to go with. And, frankly, I don't mind it that much. Personal taste.

Note that it was probably *MORE* dangerous letting a Wolf Shapechanger drive, chasing cars, than it would have been to go to an illegal jackpoint and been watched over by a powerful Free Spirit and said Ganger.

I "locked" Chapter 5 because I was thinking of the children. But, frankly, with the violence on TV, maybe I'm being too overly cautious. I'll read it again, and see what I think.

Glad you enjoyed what you read of it so far!

OK, re-reading it, and considering what's on the news now-a-days (*Cough* Pig farmer in BC *Cough*) I have unlocked it.
CanRay
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 13 2008, 10:12 PM) *
The second one you wrote is an excellent 2 minute intro and it breaks people out of the whole "The only people who use runners are megas and dragons. The only way you get paid is with nuyen".

Sorry to miss your post! Thanks!

Yeah, even Ghetto Corps need Shadow-Luvin'! And if all you get paid in is a month's supply of Soy Sloppies, that's a month's worth of Soy Sloppies you just don't have to buy, now, eh?
D Minor
The Pinkerton(the pig farmer in B.C) thing is a couple of years old. But when it happened All I could think about was "TipTop" from snatch.

I like both descriptions. Short and to the point.
CanRay
QUOTE (D Minor @ Apr 14 2008, 07:05 PM) *
I like both descriptions. Short and to the point.

Thanks! That's what they're meant to be. Just a quick primer as to why Shadowruns happen. It can be for the pettiest reasons!
hermit
Sweet run descriptions (especially the really basic one).

I do like the Hunt story too, though I'd like to have a bit more elaboration on the various hints on cntent dropped throughout it (and a three meter human male form shapeshifter strikes me as a bit over the top, 2,50 max, but that's me being a nitpick). Overall, good feel, and I almost didn't mind the various times you brought up the commlink. wink.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 17 2008, 06:20 AM) *
(and a three meter human male form shapeshifter strikes me as a bit over the top, 2,50 max, but that's me being a nitpick).

Must have missed that one. Where?
hermit
Where Jon goes call in the favour with the shapeshifter King ... it's in part two. 16th Paragraph, middle part (just search the page for 'three').

Starts with:
Wolf Shapechangers (Not Werewolves, those don’t exist, and Shapechangers will be very adamant about telling you the difference) could very much smell fear.

Oh, another nitpick: Lycantrophes (creatures with canine features who bitey-bite and hopwl) are actually a Euro HMHVV variant. Rare, and whimpy, and possibly held in very low regard by wolf shifters, but they do exist.

Yeah, that's me being a nitpick a lot, today. smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 17 2008, 06:34 AM) *
Where Jon goes call in the favour with the shapeshifter King ... it's in part two. 16th Paragraph, middle part (just search the page for 'three').

Yep, legit typo. Ah, now I remember, I was on autopilot writing this, and working on the gang scene with the Trolls in the back of my head.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. nyahnyah.gif

Thanks for the catch!

QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 17 2008, 06:34 AM) *
Oh, another nitpick: Lycantrophes (creatures with canine features who bitey-bite and hopwl) are actually a Euro HMHVV variant. Rare, and whimpy, and possibly held in very low regard by wolf shifters, but they do exist.

Rare enough that Money and the Wolf Shapechangers he deals with haven't heard of them then. Or admit they know Werewolves exist to Money.

Seattle's WolfPack isn't the only Pack of Wolf Shapechangers that Money deals with, but the others are very, very ferral, and don't get out much from Northern Ontario.

Joys of owning family property in areas that still have forests!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012