Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cyberblood
Hi Chummers,

i got some questions concerning the SR3 physical Adept, here we go.

The rules on p. 168 core rule book indicate that an adept can only have magic rating active powerpoints. As this is only an example and the previous sentence does not speak of this limitation, it only states powers can not have a higher level than the magic rating, i wondered if this is a typo.

As SOTA2064 and the new foci states the same stuff about having only magic attribute powerpoints active, as the decsription implies, i now wonder how to switch them? There are no rules i know of that explain how long it takes to switch powers online and to me this does not make much sense either.

Anyone could help me, clearing up things or is it just a big mess when you look at the raw?

Greetz from Germany. biggrin.gif
Tarantula
There is a metamagic that allows you to temporarily shift powers to a different power (if I remember right). But the books are correct, you can pick up to your magic in points of power, and those are fixed unless you have that metamagic.
Cabral
In SR3 (which this thread is flagged), Adepts could buy Power Points seperate from Magic Rating (for 20 karma IIRC), allowing them to have more power points than magic rating. I don't recall how to switch them, but I suspect it's a free action on your pass.
Magus
Some powers are Active: IE Killing Hands and other offensive ones if I recall, others like Temp Tolerance Traceless walk are inactive until you will them to activate. Or at least that is how I have always ruled it.

So Freefall would not be active until you activated it by falling etc etc.
nathanross
That's strange magus, I always consider them always active unless it says otherwise (Attribute Boost, Killing Hands, Gliding, Wall Running, etc.). Traceless walk and temp tolerance should always be active unless you will them not to be.

As for the OP, I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are asking. Are you asking whether you can switch powers around, but only have X pp available at any time? That is incorrect. You choose what powers you have at chargen and when you increase magic (or when you initiate if you choose to use those rules). Once you have chosen the powers, you cannot go back and change them.

The Infusion adept power allows you to temporarily gain more pp at the cost of loosing pp temporarily later on. Read up on it in Street Magic.
Cyberblood
Thank you for your replies, Cabral got my point.

The Core Rule Book and the SOTA 2064 say: You can only have a Number of Powerpoints active equal to your Magic Rating.

Examples:

a)
Magic 6
Initiate -
Powerpoints 6
> maximum active Powerpoints 6
> no Problem

b)
Magic 7
Initiate 1
Powerpoints 7
> maximum active Powerpoints 7
> no Problem

c)
Magic 7
Initiate 1
Powerpoints 8 (bought 1 with 20 Karma, Magic did not raise)
> Problem! We have 8 PP but only 7 can be used!

c)
Magic 7
Initiate 1
Powerpoints 7 +2 due to the infusion focus at force 4
> Problem! We have powers for a total of 9 PP with the focus but only 7 can be used!

There are no rules how to turn them on/off. This whole concept seems totaly inconsistent to me. I hope you understand my examples.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012