Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MadPiper
Simply put, does either metamagic ability block your aura's? Example being, could a adept, magician, whatever whoever that can astrally perceive see and read aura's on a person who is using masking and/or extended masking? I want to say yes on this, cause I don't recall the books saying anything about those metamagics blocking normal assensing, they just hide that your awakened, and have spells going. But don't quote me, I do not have the books in front of me.

Thanks! grinbig.gif
Tarantula
No, masking lets you change your aura to look like a mundane if you want to. It doesn't make it look like you don't have an aura.
Cabral
They have to pierce your Masking in order to perceive your true aura. I would say some level masking can make it look like you or certain things do not have an aura at all. If it didn't you couldn't mask quickened spells.

"Do you have a spell on your aura?"
"Uh... Uh... no, that's just a mundane phantasmal coffee mug."
" ... A coffee mug?"
"Yeah, it was a Christmas gift. Phantasmal coffee mug ... tie ... I've got enough ties, you know..."
"I hate ties. Move along."
Tarantula
I'm pretty sure you mask the spell by making the spell look like it is a part of your aura, and not a spell affecting your aura. Not so much you make the spell look like a coffee mug.
MadPiper
I just wanted to see if someone could still assense my emotions and reactions via aura reading if I have masking and extended masking. The verdict seems yes, which I am not supprised, seeing as if I showed no real aura at all.. well, then that would be suspicious no? TY for input! As always, much appreciated!
WeaverMount
Well it's not subtle at all but one of the things you can specifically do with masking is "look like another type of astral creature". You could easily look like a type of astral creature that had radically different emotions, and no 'ware. That's raw. Masking also lets you fool wards into thinking that you on the OKed list. I could see making a stretch to call a other magician an "astrally active creature". So there is a stretch plus some fluff that suggest how you could look like someone else.
Cabral
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 17 2008, 06:52 PM) *
I'm pretty sure you mask the spell by making the spell look like it is a part of your aura, and not a spell affecting your aura. Not so much you make the spell look like a coffee mug.

Then why can't an astrally projecting mage mask his disembodied aura to appear part of the scenery's aura (ie, a wall's aura)?
Ancient History
Walls don't have auras; they cast shadows on the astral.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Cabral @ Apr 18 2008, 05:57 AM) *
Then why can't an astrally projecting mage mask his disembodied aura to appear part of the scenery's aura (ie, a wall's aura)?

As AH said, walls don't have auras. The mage could make his disembodied aura look like a mundane person, which might be a little confusing when it starts zooming around the astral.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012