Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best armor solution
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
weblife
I just noticed that all spacesuits are unrestricted. In addition, one of them is a 12/12 security version with plenty of capacity and standard goodies.

Compared to mil-spec armor it fares ok, and best of all, its not illegal or even restricted! spin.gif

So, do you think you will be stopped walking into the local mall wearing this and a legal set of weapons? grinbig.gif

And if you think you would be stopped, take a look at Daihatsu-Caterpillar Horseman (PMV), with advanced cargomodule on page 106 or Arsenal. Now there is a nice toy of mega potential.

A drone with armor, person carrying capacity, two arms and a cargobox for grenades and guns! Woo!
CircuitBoyBlue
Plan: Get spacesuit. Get boombox. Strut around everywhere listening to either Bowie or Daft Punk.
Stalker-x
The suit has another major downside to it. As page 473, Arsenal, states, a character wearing this suit must avoid looking at reflective surfaces, such as dark shop windows or mirrors. Otherwise, your ridiculously-looking SC will take a 15P laughing damage to be resisted with a willpower+common sense test (1).
Stahlseele
yeah, that is pretty munchy, even if the rules allow it . . why the hell every they made the rules that way is evrybodys guess o.O
FrankTrollman
The thing is: this is completely accurate. Spacesuits are completely legal. But you still can't go into a fancy restaurant wearing one. It's not illegal, it's just against dress code.

-Frank
weblife
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Apr 18 2008, 11:01 AM) *
The thing is: this is completely accurate. Spacesuits are completely legal. But you still can't go into a fancy restaurant wearing one. It's not illegal, it's just against dress code.

-Frank

But so is mil-spec armor. smile.gif

And if heavy armor is the order of the day, these suits are probably easier to get your hands on, and will, circumstances taken into account, not be immediately confiscated if found by authorities checking your trunk at a routine stop.

That said, I agree that concealed bodyarmor and discreet lined suits are more valid in many social situations. Other than a masquerade perhaps. grinbig.gif
Rad
>Envisions the sudden rise of spacesuit-clad gangers this will give rise to<
>Dies laughing<
CanRay
You think that's funny, Rad, imagine the meeting at Ares Areospace: "Sir, our line of Security Spacesuit has just increased in demand 9000%."
Heath Robinson
One things that one should houserule these to have a chargen limit availability. On the other hand, spacesuits are going to have some fans and it is an entertaining mental visual; the party of runners all slogging it around in bulky vac-sealed suits with bubble-heads.
ElFenrir
Spacesuits really are broken armor. Great armor, legal, no restrictions, and I'd say the opponents would have to make a Will save or take a -2 DP to any actions due to painful laughter on their side as well. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
yeah, make the char-gen availability 13 . . just to be mean to players ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Apr 18 2008, 10:29 AM) *
One things that one should houserule these to have a chargen limit availability. On the other hand, spacesuits are going to have some fans and it is an entertaining mental visual; the party of runners all slogging it around in bulky vac-sealed suits with bubble-heads.

I have another houserule for things that are... Strange.

"You have to have a story as to how you got it. Doesn't need to be complex, but it does need to be believeable."

So, for example, you want your character to have an Elephant Rifle, well, "While I was a SINner, I got a big tax return, and bought it, because I thought it'd look good on my wall." would work.

Or for an Ares Alpha for someone that's isn't a Street Sami or has high Fixer Contacts: "Woke up in a back-alley in the Barrens, surrounded by dead bodies, covered in blood that wasn't mine, holding the rifle, and no idea how I got there."

It doesn't disallow any equipment, I just would like to know how to screw them... Er... Have a legitimate explaination as to how they got it, is all.

It would have to be one HELL of a good story to allow for a spacesuit.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 18 2008, 05:43 PM) *
yeah, make the char-gen availability 13 . . just to be mean to players ^^

If the GM plays like that, just keep refusing the first runs, boost Americars for a while and order the piece. Not that such antagonistic games will last long.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Rad @ Apr 18 2008, 10:15 AM) *
>Envisions the sudden rise of spacesuit-clad gangers this will give rise to<
>Dies laughing<

That should have been a scene in The Warriors.
ElFenrir
''Waaaaariorsss....come out and plaaaaay...''

*Daft Punk's 'One More Time' kicks in and the Spacesuit Brigade walks out*
Stahlseele
P1: "You know . . people have the weirdest fetishes . ."
GM: "DO NOT WANT!"
DocTaotsu
It might not have an availability but I challenge you to find me a store that sells a goddamn spacesuit.

Can you order one of MatrixAmazon? Probably but the shipping must be a bitch.

And even though it isn't stated in the rules, I suspect they're a little hard to get around in when you're not... in space.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 18 2008, 11:30 AM) *
It might not have an availability but I challenge you to find me a store that sells a goddamn spacesuit.

Can you order one of MatrixAmazon? Probably but the shipping must be a bitch.

And even though it isn't stated in the rules, I suspect they're a little hard to get around in when you're not... in space.

Hi, I'm the internet. Have we met? grinbig.gif
DocTaotsu
Ah! This are but silly replicas! (I think). And they have a 2 week lead time.

And you still look like a retard and you still have to pay out the nostrils for shipping.

If my players want to buy a spacesuit for armor, they're getting what they pay for.

Moo hoo, ha ha.

But the image of players buying surplus security space suits as their low cost "right now!" solution to a heavy run. That is amusing as all hell.
Tobias
I just imagine the after break in interview with the surviving guard. After the cameras have been wiped etc...

Boss: "So Jenkins. Who did this?"
Jenkins: "6 Space-men, sir"
Boss blinks: "So Jenkins when was your last psych-evaluation"
CanRay
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Apr 18 2008, 11:04 AM) *
''Waaaaariorsss....come out and plaaaaay...''

*Daft Punk's 'One More Time' kicks in and the Spacesuit Brigade walks out*

Another movie and game I have to get.

Rock* did a very good job with the game! biggrin.gif And fleshed out the gangs better as well, which is great for Cyberpunk in general, and Shadowrun as well.

Baseball Furies, only with them all being Orks and Trolls!!!
samuelbeckett
Hey, unless I'm missing something, my copy of Arse has the Security Spacesuit at an availability of 24...so definitely not chargen material, and reasonably difficult to procure.

"Yes indeedy Mr. Corporate Buyer, I need 3 of your finest armoured space suits for the difficult space exploration mission I am launching from my hovel in the Redmond Barrens..."
CanRay
QUOTE (samuelbeckett @ Apr 18 2008, 11:51 AM) *
"Yes indeedy Mr. Corporate Buyer, I need 3 of your finest armoured space suits for the difficult space exploration mission I am launching from my hovel in the Redmond Barrens..."

"Ummm... The mission? Demon Rat Culling in the Sewers."
DocTaotsu
You could really play that up, crash something through a wall, spray the room down with something that makes them mealy headed.

"Sir! We are from the future and require immediate access to your 'Matrix Jackpoint' to preserve all of metakind!" And he does the finger quotes too.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 18 2008, 11:55 AM) *
You could really play that up, crash something through a wall, spray the room down with something that makes them mealy headed.

"Sir! We are from the future and require immediate access to your 'Matrix Jackpoint' to preserve all of metakind!" And he does the finger quotes too.

indifferent.gif Wow.
Actually, I would love it if my players tried something like that once. Once. I'd be afraid of that becoming the go-to plan, but apart from that, that's an awesome idea.
CanRay
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 18 2008, 11:55 AM) *

"Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... You can't fool me! You're really COCKROACHES UNDER THERE!!!" *Pulls out gun and shoots* "THE COCKROACHES ARE TAKING OVER!!!"

See, you have to choose your room properly, 'cause mixing drugs is bad, m'kay?
DocTaotsu
Oh no! Let it become plan A.

Second Spaceman Run:
"Sir! We are from the future and require immediate access to your 'Matrix Jackpoint' to preserve all of metakind!" finger quotes.

Security Guard (with trachael filter): "Absolutely sir! Right this way!"

<Ah the joys of psychotropic IC>
Kingboy
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 18 2008, 12:25 PM) *
P1: "You know . . people have the weirdest fetishes . ."
GM: "DO NOT WANT!"

I was thinking the same thing the other day after reading a bit in the forums here about modular cyberlimbs and the possible uses by joytoys with...erm discriminating clients.
Stahlseele
combine modular cyber-arm, Mr.Wang Cyber-ware and the Jack-Hammer-Option for Cyber-Limbs . .
Alternatively:"you know, i hooked up with an astronaut once . . he said my ass had to be out of this world . . and damn, he knew what he was talking about . . i kept the suit when i ditched him/her"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012