Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheFiremage
Hi, all,
Just a question on some hacking mechanics I need to have cleared up, if you could all help out.

The main question is:

When a hacker is doing his thing, the core book states that the player rolls the appropriate Skill + Program (i.e. Electronic Warfare + Scan), but it doesn't call for the character's Logic to be rolled along with that. Is that correct or should it actually be Logic + (Skill) + (Program)? If Logic is not rolled, why not? What would the use of Logic be for hackers then? I suppose for writing his programs and building other hardware at the least.

Thanks a bunch!
Zak
QUOTE (TheFiremage @ Apr 19 2008, 02:30 PM) *
What's the other one?

Use Search.

Ok, had to do it. Sorry smile.gif

Logic is not needed for hacking as of now. Unwired might change that, but we'll have to wait.
Several houserules exist that use Logic+Skill instead with various restrictions.
Rad
Yeah, that always seemed kinda stupid to me too, unless you assume that software in the 2070's is so advanced that only other software can crack it.

Seems to me a better way would be Stat + Skill, but cap the hits you can get at 2x Program Rating. That way success is still going to be affected by how smart you are, but using crappy programs will hold you back.
sunnyside
QUOTE (Rad @ Apr 19 2008, 04:20 PM) *
Yeah, that always seemed kinda stupid to me too, unless you assume that software in the 2070's is so advanced that only other software can crack it.

For things like decryption that is certainly the case.

But yes it does operate differently than I think every other mechanic in SR where rolls are stat+skill and the thing you use (gun, spell, vehicle) is the tool that affects what that roll actually does.

They have hinted unwired will affect this. For now I really don't think it's worth house ruling.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Apr 19 2008, 10:26 PM) *
For things like decryption that is certainly the case.

Some part of decrypting is going to be knowing how really encryption works. Sure, the actual applying of the decryption process is software, but identifying an encrypted stream and working out the algorithm will require some degree of skill.
TheFiremage
Thanks for your input, guys.

See you 'round the boards. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012