Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advanced Metamagic Technique: Second Awakening
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HentaiZonga
I'm pondering whether the following high-end idea is feasable, or overpowered.

Metamagic Technique: Second Awakening
Prerequisite: Flexible Signature

A carefully-guarded secret among various Traditions, the Second Awakening is the means by which an Awakened character may permanently alter their aura and their attunement to Magic, opening themselves to new forms of power.

The character may choose to gain Spellcasting, Summoning, Ritual Sorcery, Astral Projection or Adept Power as their Second Awakening, and must take this Metamagic once for each of these powers he wishes to gain. Each time this Metamagic is learned, the character's Magic rating and Attribute Maximum are permanently reduced by 1, due to the extreme stresses the technique places on their aural-somatic connection.

Magicians who choose to gain Adept Power permanently lose the ability to astrally project, and must re-learn to astrally perceive via the Adept Power (SR4, p187). Adepts and Magician Adepts (and Magicians who have lost their Astral Projection ability due to taking the Adept Power version of this Metamagic) may re-gain Astral Projection through a version of this Metamagic, but only if they already possess the Adept Power of Astral Perception.

What do you think, Sirs?
Crusher Bob
It's actually probably too expensive. You are paying around 25-35 karma (includes the cost of the lost magic point) for the potential to do something; to get the actually ability you'd need to raise magic at least once more to get either a point of adept powers, or, if you were an adept, increase magic to gain a point fo magic to allocate to spellcasting.

If you were an adept that added spellcasting or summoning, you'd still have to actually learn the sorcery or summoning skills to do anything with the ability.
Triggerz
The way I see it, the big deal in there is Astral Projection. As an adept or a mystic adept, you don't have access to it. The rest of the stuff is basically just the Mystic Adept quality. As such, you can get the whole package (except astral projection) for 10BP, which is 5BP more than the Adept quality, and 5BP less than the Magician quality.

I would make it so that the technique makes you a Mystic Adept and allows you to buy the new Adept power of Astral Projection for, say, 3 Power Points. If you were a full magician before, you lose it until you buy the power. You could transfer, say, your initiate grade in Magic points from your magician powers' Magic to your adept power's Magic (or the other way around) when you acquire the metamagic. That way, a full magician could still keep astral projection, but at the cost of a pretty big reduction in his magical abilities. On the plus side, he could start acquiring adept powers.
Triggerz
As for the effect it would have on game balance, I'm not entirely sure. I assume that you're playing a pretty high-level campaign if you're toying with this type of ideas, so maybe it isn't too big a deal. I'd probably rule that most if not all adept powers are tied to the adept's physical body and can't be used at all when astrally projecting, just to avoid game-breaking combos, but honestly, it's probably not that big a deal either way.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Triggerz @ Apr 20 2008, 06:13 AM) *
The way I see it, the big deal in there is Astral Projection. As an adept or a mystic adept, you don't have access to it. The rest of the stuff is basically just the Mystic Adept quality. As such, you can get the whole package (except astral projection) for 10BP, which is 5BP more than the Adept quality, and 5BP less than the Magician quality.

I would make it so that the technique makes you a Mystic Adept and allows you to buy the new Adept power of Astral Projection for, say, 3 Power Points. If you were a full magician before, you lose it until you buy the power. You could transfer, say, your initiate grade in Magic points from your magician powers' Magic to your adept power's Magic (or the other way around) when you acquire the metamagic. That way, a full magician could still keep astral projection, but at the cost of a pretty big reduction in his magical abilities. On the plus side, he could start acquiring adept powers.

Hrm. That *does* simplify things, and I think I like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012