Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Several Matrix questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ranger
1. How do technomancers access the Matrix? I don't mean as in how physically, but rather, how are they allowed to access the Matrix? According to the book, "Note that eliminating the access ID entirely is not an option, as most nodes will refuse access to unidentified devices; access ID must be spoofed instead" (SR4, 224-225). However, it is my understanding that technomancers do not have an access ID because they don't normally use commlinks. Do they have a biological access ID instead? I know they leave Matrix signatures, but that's not quite the same thing in terms of a node allowing access.

2. Can you track a technomancer? According to the book, "With a Track action, you can trace a user’s datatrail from his icon back to his physical location" (SR4, 219). Since technomancers don't leave a datatrail because they don't have an access ID, how do you track a technomancer?

3. Does a hacker or technomancer have to be accessing the same node as an opponent trying to track him, or can the opponent track the character starting in a node that the character passed through but is no longer in?

4. If you are hit by Black IC, does that only prevent you from logging out of the Matrix, or does that also prevent you from logging out of the node in which you currently reside? If the former, just how do you stop a hacker or technomancer from escaping?

5. Why would you redirect a trace instead of spoofing the datatrail? From the description, it sounds like spoofing the datatrail effectively eliminates your datatrail, and the rules don't say that you can't spoof the datatrail while being tracked.

6. When you log off of the Matrix, do you have to log off of each node, one at a time, until you are back at your originating node, or can you simply log off entirely with a single action?
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 21 2008, 05:33 PM) *
1. How do technomancers access the Matrix? I don't mean as in how physically, but rather, how are they allowed to access the Matrix? According to the book, "Note that eliminating the access ID entirely is not an option, as most nodes will refuse access to unidentified devices; access ID must be spoofed instead" (SR4, 224-225). However, it is my understanding that technomancers do not have an access ID because they don't normally use commlinks. Do they have a biological access ID instead? I know they leave Matrix signatures, but that's not quite the same thing in terms of a node allowing access.

2. Can you track a technomancer? According to the book, "With a Track action, you can trace a user’s datatrail from his icon back to his physical location" (SR4, 219). Since technomancers don't leave a datatrail because they don't have an access ID, how do you track a technomancer?

3. Does a hacker or technomancer have to be accessing the same node as an opponent trying to track him, or can the opponent track the character starting in a node that the character passed through but is no longer in?

4. If you are hit by Black IC, does that only prevent you from logging out of the Matrix, or does that also prevent you from logging out of the node in which you currently reside? If the former, just how do you stop a hacker or technomancer from escaping?

5. Why would you redirect a trace instead of spoofing the datatrail? From the description, it sounds like spoofing the datatrail effectively eliminates your datatrail, and the rules don't say that you can't spoof the datatrail while being tracked.

6. When you log off of the Matrix, do you have to log off of each node, one at a time, until you are back at your originating node, or can you simply log off entirely with a single action?

1. Technomancers can indeed access nodes simply by spoofing their access ID. As many good hackers spoof their ID all the time anyway, it's not much difference.

2. Yes, you can track a techie through his ICON, but not by access ID alone.

3. As I've understood, you can either track the Icon (after encountering it in a Node) or the access ID (by finding the number somewhere).

4. It prevents you from logging out from the Node and makes it difficult to jack out from the Matrix (and forces you to accept Dumpshock if you succeed).

5. Good question. I'm not sure how this works by RAW (hoping Unwired will clear things up a bit), but the way I see it redirect trace does what it says, while spoofing is meant to avoid someone finding out you have ever been somewhere. So spoofing alone is not enough to ruin a trace in my book, just like you cannot hide when someone is looking right at you.

6. Log off entirely.

Well thats how I read the rules, but I'm not an authority on it. I guess Frank and Synner knows the rules alot better than I.
Earlydawn
I always figured that Redirect was for the Goldeneye scene.. you're trying to accomplish something or download a file that your GM rules will take three turns to accomplish, while simultaneously playing chicken with White IC that is trying to figure out where you're accessing from. Whereas erasing your datatrail is just covering your tracks.. you know, deleting the logs and such.
Ranger
Thank you for the replies, Friend and Early.

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Apr 21 2008, 07:50 AM) *
1. Technomancers can indeed access nodes simply by spoofing their access ID. As many good hackers spoof their ID all the time anyway, it's not much difference.

So, you feel that a technomancer *must* use spoof to create a fake access ID to access the Matrix at all?

2. Yes, you can track a techie through his ICON, but not by access ID alone.

3. As I've understood, you can either track the Icon (after encountering it in a Node) or the access ID (by finding the number somewhere).

Don't these answers contradict themselves? If you cannot track a technomancer by access ID alone, then the second part of your answer to #3 is impossible...???

4. It prevents you from logging out from the Node and makes it difficult to jack out from the Matrix (and forces you to accept Dumpshock if you succeed).

Okay; that one is clear now.

5. Good question. I'm not sure how this works by RAW (hoping Unwired will clear things up a bit), but the way I see it redirect trace does what it says, while spoofing is meant to avoid someone finding out you have ever been somewhere. So spoofing alone is not enough to ruin a trace in my book, just like you cannot hide when someone is looking right at you.

That makes sense. So, in short, if someone is already tracking you, then you have to redirect the trace. Otherwise, you can spoof the datatrail.

6. Log off entirely.

Well thats how I read the rules, but I'm not an authority on it. I guess Frank and Synner knows the rules alot better than I.

Your reply helps quite a bit as it is. Thanks.

@Early: I now see it that way, too. Thanks.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 21 2008, 06:19 PM) *
Thank you for the replies, Friend and Early.

So, you feel that a technomancer *must* use spoof to create a fake access ID to access the Matrix at all?

Well yes, unless they actually pay for matrix services like most people (and use a commlink). They might be able to use a legal commcode by with their brain alone, the rules are not clear about this. But then again why on earth would a techie want to do that when it's so easy to spoof? And having a commlink is a good idea for a techie anyway.

Don't these answers contradict themselves? If you cannot track a technomancer by access ID alone, then the second part of your answer to #3 is impossible...???

Yes you cannot track by access ID if your target keeps spoofing it all the time or you use a black one (see beginning of the matrix chapter). So the only good way of tracking a techie is to catch him in the act... not at all easy if he threads his Stealth program sky-high.

That makes sense. So, in short, if someone is already tracking you, then you have to redirect the trace. Otherwise, you can spoof the datatrail.

Your reply helps quite a bit as it is. Thanks.

@Early: I now see it that way, too. Thanks.

No problem, as a GM I've had alot of headaches because of the poorly written and vague matrix rules, and because of inquisitive players that wants to use the Matrix to the max. Best way IMO is just to play it by the rules and ignoring RL network technology. Otherwise there is just too much contradictions and things that doesen't make sense.
Ranger
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Apr 21 2008, 09:19 AM) *
Well yes, unless they actually pay for matrix services like most people (and use a commlink). They might be able to use a legal commcode by with their brain alone, the rules are not clear about this. But then again why on earth would a techie want to do that when it's so easy to spoof? And having a commlink is a good idea for a techie anyway.

In my group, the issue is that the team's technomancer doesn't have the spoof complex form. So, she hasn't bothered, and I never realized until recently that by the RAW, a technomancer seems to be unable to access most nodes without spoofing an access ID.

Yes you cannot track by access ID if your target keeps spoofing it all the time or you use a black one (see beginning of the matrix chapter). So the only good way of tracking a techie is to catch him in the act... not at all easy if he threads his Stealth program sky-high.

It seems to me that it's nearly impossible to track a technomancer, then, unless the technomancer stays put for a long time--which is unwise for any hacker or technomancer. I've been getting a slight headache dealing with the team's technomancer (I'm the GM) because I haven't yet figured out how to track the technomancer by the RAW. It seems to me that the technomancer--or any good hacker for that matter--can break in, get the desired info, and leave without any reasonable chance of being caught or tracked. The few times that the technomancer was actually detected, she managed to win initiative and log out before the Black IC could do its dirty work. So, I've been wondering how the heck I as the GM am supposed to prevent the technomancer from breaking in anywhere.

Yeah, I can put in an enemy technomancer who can at the least detect the Matrix signature, but that doesn't actually tell you where the technomancer is located for the enemies to do anything about it. I'm not trying to say that I want to make the team's technomancer useless. By far, I don't want that to happen at all. I just want the technomancer to get into trouble *sometimes*.

I guess I'll just have to throw in some tracking IC that are running high-rating stealth programs.

No problem, as a GM I've had alot of headaches because of the poorly written and vague matrix rules, and because of inquisitive players that wants to use the Matrix to the max. Best way IMO is just to play it by the rules and ignoring RL network technology. Otherwise there is just too much contradictions and things that doesen't make sense.

Many of the rules are poorly written and don't make any sense in real life. wink.gif Most of the firearms rules are simply out of whack. Sniper rifles having double the range of sporting rifles? Seeing how some sniper rifles in real life are based off of what the game calls sporting rifles, that's nonsense. A folding stock provides recoil compensation, but a rigid stock does not? Nonsense. A laser sight improving your aim? Nonsense. In some cases, relying on a laser sight should reduce your aim, since it's not exactly easy to spot a small red dot, especially at a distance, especially if the target is wearing red...

But anyway, yeah, so generally I'm able to suspend belief and go with the rules.

I guess in the case of the technomancer, I'll have to assume that a technomancer can access a node without faking an access ID. Otherwise, the sample technomancer in the SR4 book needs reworking, since it doesn't have the spoof complex form.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012