Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Katana physad uses Mystic Armor to avoid taking stun damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdio0v1guZE...feature=related

Here's real life footage of a physad who has Edged Weapons 6 (12) and Mystic Armor. Notice how even though he takes numerous hits with beanbag rounds and chemical agents his Stun track just doesn't seem to fill up. You can tell by his apparel that he's a shadowrunner.
krakjen
And it happened in Seattle...
masterofm
A+

Although you can't tell how good he is with his edge weapons skill, because he never used it.

*edit* I guess it was the water hose's 8s and half AP that finally brought him down *edit*
Daier Mune
i don't think thats mystic armor. i think thats PCP.
CanRay
Mystical Armour, PCP... Both come from the Spirit World! devil.gif
sunnyside
You gotta remember the combat drugs section of the book. Everybody forgets that.

And now I want rules for using a ladder as a spear type weapon.
sunnyside
You gotta remember the combat drugs section of the book. Everybody forgets that.

masterofm
Ha ha a ladder as a spear. That totally makes me want to roll up an adept that uses a combat duck as a weapon. After the first few strikes though he would probably be using a dead combat duck though.
Shiloh
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Apr 22 2008, 05:35 AM) *

See Jackie Chan for further inspiration.
nezumi
I thought they told you his particular 'power' when they started the video - he's possessed by the devil, most likely some free spirit with the possession power. Do possessing spirits suffer stun damage?
CanRay
"Hey, Jet. You're a Free Spirit, is there really a Devil?" "No. But there's far too many posers."
Zen Shooter01
I think that might have been a flak jacket Blade was wearing there.
CanRay
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Apr 22 2008, 07:52 AM) *
I think that might have been a flak jacket Blade was wearing there.

No no no. Possessed by the Devil. Not Half-Vampire. Get your story straight or else the Jury will believe you're insane...

Oh... Right...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (masterofm @ Apr 22 2008, 12:38 AM) *
Ha ha a ladder as a spear. That totally makes me want to roll up an adept that uses a combat duck as a weapon. After the first few strikes though he would probably be using a dead combat duck though.

Reach 2 baby!
FrankTrollman
Yes, he claims that he is possessed. So the reason that he bounces all the weapons is because as a possessed character he has Immunity to Normal Weapons. He claims to be fighting demons that only he can see because as a possessed person he's a dual natured entity and he can see astral constructs.

He finally goes down not from the impact of bean bag projectiles fired by shotguns, not by the poison sprayed on him, but by failing an Athletics test to stay standing on slick ground. It is only then that they pin him to the ground and tie him up. He still doesn't take any actual damage at this point, because he has Immunity to Normal Weapons going. He's still crazy strong, but with enough guys and him being prone they can pin him even if they can't hurt him.

-Frank
Naysayer
Pff, Mystic Armor? Spirit powers?!
Nonsense!!!

More like a good ol' fashioned Pain Editor, some Dermal Plating and a solid set of soak dice.
As for seeing demons, that's either a plain cyberpsychosis, or tried and true BTL burnout.

You people, always going for the weird mumbo-jumbo theories, when there's solid, scientific explanations for everything!
CanRay
Or the guy could just be so bat-nuts crazy that he doesn't feel pain.
Naysayer
Aww, come on, how likely is that?!
hyzmarca
I've watched enough horror movies to know that whomever doubts the sanity of a sword-wielding man who claims to be fighting invisible demons is likely to die a horrible horrible death. So if I were to see such a man wielding a katana and babbling about demons on a busy street, I would simply assume that he is both perfectly sane and totally honest and stay the hell out of his way.

Even if the probability of him being the only thing that stands between us and a demon apocalypse is low, the potential losses are simply too great to take that risk. We certainly don't want to hear him yelling "I told you so" from his padded cell as Christopher Walken, Billy Drago, and Angus Scrimm divide dominion over the Earth and all human souls amongst themselves.
nezumi
Hmm... The Immunity to Normal Weapons thing makes the most sense to me. Notice he was taken down by the hose, most likely not due to the athletics test, but because water is considered an ELEMENTAL ATTACK, and therefore not completely mitigated by ItNW. I'd wager a flamethrower or dropping a giant rock on him would have been similarly effective.
CanRay
Oh, Giant Rocks are the solution to all your problems isn't it?

And if it didn't solve the problem, the issue was that the rock wasn't big enough, right? nyahnyah.gif
kanislatrans
"Expertly wields his lethal weapon"????

ok, I can hold up a sword and swing it around like some movie ninja. I now am an expert swordsman. good thing I didn't waste all that money on martial arts classes.

*kanis goes outside to strike a few combat poses with his Remington 870 so he can call himself a "highly trained combat expert" wobble.gif wobble.gif

was this a news story or the latest episode of "the Real World"?

sorry, got off on a rant. Our poor excuss of "news" just gets my goat.

Question: Doesn't that swat team carry Narcojet™ rifles? woulda saved a heck of alot of time. spin.gif spin.gif

edit: second complaint."non-toxic substance that irritates the skin"

Im no bio-chemist,but if a substance causes an irritation to the skin, I would consider that toxic.

Definition: (TOX-ick) Having to do with poison or something harmful to the body. Toxic substances usually cause unwanted side effects.

grrrrrr!! there is no crime in being ignorant, just don't try to share it with others.. wobble.gif

and now I will shut up ... embarrassed.gif embarrassed.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Apr 23 2008, 08:29 AM) *

ok, I can hold up a sword and swing it around like some movie ninja. I now am an expert swordsman. good thing I didn't waste all that money on martial arts classes.

What do you expect from the news?

"The police were attacked by a man with a Bolt-Action Automatic Assault Rifle..."
Leofski
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 23 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Hmm... The Immunity to Normal Weapons thing makes the most sense to me. Notice he was taken down by the hose, most likely not due to the athletics test, but because water is considered an ELEMENTAL ATTACK, and therefore not completely mitigated by ItNW. I'd wager a flamethrower or dropping a giant rock on him would have been similarly effective.

I dunno. I'm guessing he's possessed by a fire spirit and got an allergy to water.
kzt
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Apr 23 2008, 06:29 AM) *
*kanis goes outside to strike a few combat poses with his Remington 870 so he can call himself a "highly trained combat expert" wobble.gif wobble.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7w-zXuA0U
Rad
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Apr 23 2008, 05:29 AM) *

was this a news story or the latest episode of "the Real World"?

sorry, got off on a rant. Our poor excuss of "news" just gets my goat.

Question: Doesn't that swat team carry Narcojetâ„¢ rifles? woulda saved a heck of alot of time. spin.gif spin.gif

edit: second complaint."non-toxic substance that irritates the skin"

Im no bio-chemist,but if a substance causes an irritation to the skin, I would consider that toxic.

Definition: (TOX-ick) Having to do with poison or something harmful to the body. Toxic substances usually cause unwanted side effects.

grrrrrr!! there is no crime in being ignorant, just don't try to share it with others.. wobble.gif

and now I will shut up ... embarrassed.gif embarrassed.gif

Actually, that was a clip from "World's Most Amazing Videos", though with the state of news organizations these days it can be hard to tell the difference.

I agree with you about the "expertly weilding" comment though. You never really see him *do* anything besides stand there with it, so there's no way to judge his skill. At least he didn't use that stupid two-hand grip with the fists touching that you see all over the place.

I swear, if I see one more movie where the "master swordsman" doesn't know how to hold a sword... sarcastic.gif
CanRay
How about all those combat flicks where the "Experienced army man" shoots full-auto from the hip all the time?

And cars blowing up?

And computers that have OSes that defy, well, EVERYTHING?
kanislatrans
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 25 2008, 09:13 AM) *

Obviously,they are running Microsoft Windows,DuH!! grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
CanRay
Even Windows is not as stupid as the OSes they show on TV/Movies.

And, as Tech Support, hearing, "But that's not how it's done on TV" would cause me fits.

I almost got called on it once.
Rad
Oh, you mean like in X-Files?

For a show aimed at nerds, there are more tech-related gaffs in that series than should be possible without trying. Like the time the sentient supercomputer downloads a voice-print off an answering machine that was turned off at the time. biggrin.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 25 2008, 09:13 AM) *
How about all those combat flicks where the "Experienced army man" shoots full-auto from the hip all the time?

And cars blowing up?

Hey, I've seen World War II training footage where people were apparently firing SMGs full auto from the hip out of a horse stance.
CanRay
Yeah, that's an SMG, probably the ones that fire full-auto only, and probably at close-range targets.

I'm talkin' Assault Rifles at far away targets like in the movies.
hyzmarca
The Browning Automatic Rifle had a "cup" accessory which attached to the soldier's belt. The butt of the rifle was planed in the cup, which hung from the hip, to provide support when the weapon was fired from the hip. It was intended to be used for "walking fire", the suppressive use of automatic fire while advancing. Actually hitting an enemy wasn't as much of a concern as keeping the enemy hiding in their trenches while you move from one of your trenches to another (or advance on one of the enemy's trenches).
kzt
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 25 2008, 08:13 AM) *

I've been told that this actually can work, it you train enough. It's not a long range technique. That was per a former vietnam SEAL who used a cut down M60 in his multiple trips to the Rung Sat.
CanRay
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 25 2008, 05:59 PM) *
The Browning Automatic Rifle had a "cup" accessory which attached to the soldier's belt. The butt of the rifle was planed in the cup, which hung from the hip, to provide support when the weapon was fired from the hip. It was intended to be used for "walking fire", the suppressive use of automatic fire while advancing. Actually hitting an enemy wasn't as much of a concern as keeping the enemy hiding in their trenches while you move from one of your trenches to another (or advance on one of the enemy's trenches).

That's suppressive fire, and was actually a good idea, considering how many USers pulled off the Bipod on the BAR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012