Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old World Charm
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
quentra
This is the OOC thread for Old World Charm, a game taking place in Europort.

Feel free to lurk if you want, but please don't post if you're not a player.

Posting Rules

I'm gonna be stealing Redjack's posting structure, so here you go.

All your posts should begin with a time/date stamp in orange, detailing location, time, and date. Underneath, in italics, add your PAN mode, hidden, active, or passive, in dark grey.

- - "Speech color=cyan, optionally enclosed in quotes"
- - <Coms (subvocal) color=violet>
- - <Coms (Text) color=black>
- - Thoughts color=darkkhaki and in italics
- - Memories, flashbacks, dreams color=lightgrey and in italics

Spoiler all private actions, but if its something really private, or you're setting up a backstab, feel free to PM me.

Feel free to pose unimportant NPCs, waitresses, store clerks, et cetera. For plot-important NPCs (Contacts, Prime Runners, and so on), don't assume their reactions or post them. Pretend they're PCs interaction-wise.

Rolls will be handled in the following manner.

Post the action you wanna take ex: Aaron: I wanna thread Stealth to 4 bajillon.
GM: Okay, mods are <blank> (could have mods, could be clear, ie, no mods)
Roll the dice and post them in this format:
DP= (Skill)+(Attribute)+(Mods)
Roll 1: X, X, X, X, X: X hits
etc, etc.

We will be using the cinematic optional rule from the BBB. Fours counts as hits.

First post, intro your character, provide your description, current actions, etc. You're in the Lijnbaan Shopping District in Europort, in relative proximity to each other, purely by chance. What're your actually doing at the Lijnbaan is, of course, your decision.
quentra
- Reserved for chara sheets -
Tabula Rasa
Can you tell us what the date is so we know what the weather is like and etc...
quentra
I'm assuming you're inside, but outside, its rainy and cold, the beginning of fall. Oh christ, I forgot to date my intro post.
Aaron
Ignore this post.
quentra
What post?
Aaron
I'm going to be posting two PAN modes. The first will be the living persona, the second will be the commlink in parentheses.
quentra
Works.
Abschalten
I'll be doing something similar. I have two commlinks on me: my implanted one and my "public" one. My implanted one will be first, my public one will be second in parenthesis. I'll copy Aaron's format as to not cause any confusion.
Tabula Rasa
Description: Holda is an unusual beauty; her twinkling gray eyes; her smooth gently tanned skin; her shiny dark brown hair; and her perfect nose. Her body isn’t your typical woman’s though. She ended up a hair under six feet tall, her body is muscular and lean – like a gymnast’s with a sprinter’s legs. Her lower jaw has a barely noticeable overbite, and her titanium capped lower canines – as is the fashion in a recently emerging subculture – protrude slightly from her pretty lips.

She typically dresses in the latest fashions and pays a lot of attention to her hair and makeup and knows just the way to accentuate her good features.

The spoiler tag contains the character’s background which the other character’s obviously are not aware of. I’m putting it up since someone had mentioned they wanted to see it.

Icon Description: Her icon - which she creatively also named Holda - is that of a beautiful woman clothed in a flowing summer dress woven of leaves and vines and constantly bathed in a glowing ray of sunlight. Her voluminous golden hair flows behind her as if in a gentle breeze with little flowers in a constant cycle of blooming followed by flowing off petal by petal into the wind.

[ Spoiler ]
quentra
Oh yeah, post your descs up here. Matrix charas, I wanna see Icon descs as well, and Aaron, give me a rough overview of what your spirits look like. For our projecting charas, give me a description of what your astral reflections are.
Tabula Rasa
Edited my post in this thread to include my icon description. Please let me know when everything checks out and it's okay for me to post.
quentra
Everyone, you guys can start posting intro's after you post the requisite descs on here. We won't be heading into a situation where charasheets are gonna be necessary right off the bat, so go ahead and start RPing.

Also, no, your characters are not aware of each other, total strangers, but just happen to be in close proximity to each other.
Abschalten
Description: Void immediately comes across as an androgyne. That is, upon first meeting, it's almost entirely impossible to determine whether or not she is a male or a female. At just under six feet, she is a bit on the tall side. She has a slender, boyish figure with slight shoulders that lacks any curves that would identify her as a woman. Her skin is fair, rather blemish-free, and unweathered. She comes across as young, probably somewhere in her mid-20's. Her eyes are a twinkling bright green, and her nose has a slight aquiline aspect to it. Her jawline is bold, her cheekbones prominent, and the total combined nature of her appearance allows her to be passable as either a masculine woman or a effeminate man. She has short auburn hair, with a combed part in the middle. It has something of an intentionally tossed look to it. Her manner of dress doesn't do anything to elucidate her physical gender. Clothing choices tend to be on the nicer side, and they are aggressively androgynous in their presentation, being something acceptable for males and females alike. Though she rides a fine line in appearing as both a man and a woman, it cannot be said that she is unattractive. In fact, the look works for her, and it's something she is possibly aware of and uses to her advantage.

Public Comm Persona Description: This is some sort of stock Matrix icon that you would get with a cheap commlink. It probably appears like a little assemble-by-pieces paperdoll closely resembling her (current) physical appearance, probably akin to a Nintendo Mii. It's decidedly low-rez, innocuous-looking, and cheap.

Implanted Comm Persona Description: This icon is what she uses when she's doing secretive, blackhat hacker stuff. It's a black, aphotic silhouette resembling a large, androgynous humanoid being with large, batlike wings. The eyes contrast with the dark shadow of the icon's form, being as they are a glowing bright red, as are the long, claw-like nails extending from the creature's hands. Rapid movements leave a sort of hazy trail behind it, and it constantly exhudes a faint black mist, as if giving off smoke or ash.
Aaron
Resterend has darkish brown hair and brown eyes. He is average in height and weight for a dwarf, and unremarkable in appearance, having a distinct lack of distinguishing physical characteristics or even mannerisms. He tends to confine himself to the space he occupies; when he gestures, his hands tend to stay very close to his chest. He often has a look on his face that could be interpreted as saying "the world is out to get me, any moment now."

His icon is the latest London Software House Basil Business Casual off-the-rack icon with the Brown Trenchcoat and Flat Cap options set. To most, it looks like the standard store-bought icon, but close inspection shows that the resolution and animation are a bit better than should be.

His sprites tend to come with non-threatening icons, usually cute, playful, and child-like. Most often, they are three-dimensional regular polygons with just enough additional features to make them anthropomorphic.
Aaron
When I'm compiling sprites, do you want me to just roll my half of the transaction, or make all three rolls?
quentra
Just roll your half for the compiling.

Also, I put up the rolling format, as well as the optional rule this game is gonna be using. After a bit of deliberation, I've also decided that hacking for a mundane will be a Logic+Program, hits limited by skill. Thus, Johnny the Hacker wants to hack his fridge. He has a logic of 4, and a hacking skill of five. He tries to bust through his fridges firewall, which is oddly enough at 4. His exploit program is at 4 as well, thus Johnny's DP would be 8, but limited to five hits.

For techno's, I've decided to go with Intuition+CF, hits limited by skill. Same example, just use Intuition instead of logic.

Limiting retries on extended tests to DP size, as well. If you guys have problems with the houserules, just tell me, and I'll see what I can do.
Aaron
QUOTE (quentra @ Apr 27 2008, 02:05 PM) *
After a bit of deliberation, I've also decided that hacking for a mundane will be a Logic+Program, hits limited by skill. Thus, Johnny the Hacker wants to hack his fridge. He has a logic of 4, and a hacking skill of five. He tries to bust through his fridges firewall, which is oddly enough at 4. His exploit program is at 4 as well, thus Johnny's DP would be 8, but limited to five hits.

For techno's, I've decided to go with Intuition+CF, hits limited by skill. Same example, just use Intuition instead of logic.

Er ... I built my character on the assumption that we were using the rules as written as far as Matrix tests are concerned. That system seriously nerfs my build. Could we just go with what's in the hymnal, or should I rework my character?
quentra
Nah, thats fine. If it nerfs your build, going by RAW is fine. I feel I need to houserule the Matrix somehow though. Any suggestions?
Cthulhudreams
I'd suggest banning agents as a fine place to start. However it is a bit hard as the game has started as it where.

Dagda:

Description:
Dagda is big, tall (2.1m) and powerfully muscular. He is recognizably an ork meta variant, but lacks the signature tusks. Dagda has ambitions of being bigger too, and is prone to wear boots (cowboy or combat) whenever possible, and the cut of his clothes reflects his desire to be even taller, while close cuts show off his well defined physique. His skin an unusual grey colour reminiscent of marble with a faint patina and sheen. Unlike other Skriatok Dagda keeps his lichen confined to his chest, legs, back and arms, opting not to wear a shirt and going for shorts when he is at home relaxing.

Dagda dresses smartly in good quality clothes, again reflecting his desire for status, although he never really follows fashion trends. On the street he goes for casual jeans and a shirt, always with thick soled heavy duty combat boots and usually with his armoured jacket, but will 'dress up' the occasion with his auctioneer suit if required.

On runs he typically uses his augmented chameleon suit, with a hood and his bulky mage sight goggles obscuring his face.

Public Comm Persona Description: It looks much like him, but he's gone for a black suit, red tie, white shirt and no features what so ever. His body is collection of featureless grey ovoids, with a barcode on the back of his head that reads "Escape from the Machine" rendered in hexadecimal.

However, he never uses VR, ever, under any circumstances what so ever. Or Simsense. He very occasionally uses AR with trodes but usually sticks to visual displays with subvocal mics.

His agent is is e-face, and looks exactly like his public persona.

Astral Projection:

His Astral Projection is the same as his physical appearance, usually wearing whatever he is wearing in the flesh, or with a suit but somehow more... grounded. Earthy. Possibly even rockier. The impression may be generated by the subtle rocky ridges that appear over his exposed skin, or an increased bulk and height, or maybe its just the spiritual connection his people have with the earth shining through. When he walks on the ground the earth appears to lap at his feet.
kookyjeld
So sorry about the delay, everyone. I scratched my cornea about two days ago so I've been wallowing around blind and lightly drugged. smile.gif I'll try to post something today.
quentra
Eep, I know how eye damage works. Go ahead and rest.
Cthulhudreams
M<y brother got hit in the eye with a copy of Macbeth that scratched his cornea some time ago. The jokes about yorrick were endless.
quentra
Okay you guys, I'm gonna move the story forward. Professeur, and Kookyjeld, I'll most likely intro your charas at a later time, but I'll give you until Thursday morning, EST, to get your posts in. If they aren't in by then, I'm gonna start the game rolling regardless. I'm not kicking you guys off, but I do want the campaign to get started.
kookyjeld
Eye pain sucks, but I'm glad to know that the boyfriend isn't put off my by gigantic red pulsating eyeball. I have a winner. smile.gif

Thanks for being patient with me! Here's my character's description and my post will follow:

Description: Petra is a short, lithe Norwegian woman with shoulder-length ringlets of pale blonde hair. Her eyes are blue and she is of fair complexion overall; from a distance, she could easily be confused for an albino. Her outfits tend to be fitting yet modest - her wardrobe mainly consists of muted browns, greens, and deep reds suited more for the purpose or warmth than class or style. She wears a small sable pendent around her neck and the white fur from a lucky rabbit’s foot can usually be seen peeking from one of her pockets.

Her overall appearance and demeanor exudes a sense of acuteness, though her quiet and methodical nature can be mistaken for awkwardness. Petra is the sort that will stare blankly into space before replying to a question and disciplined social etiquette is somewhat of a foreign concept.

Public Comm Persona Description: Petra’s persona is a mirror of herself, just a tad unrealistic and highly-simplified. She is clad in only a thigh-length reddish brown peacoat. Her eyes and lips are heavily exaggerated, and her nose is a mere horizontal line. She is reminiscent of a child’s drawing.

Astral Projection:
When projecting, Petra is a semi-translucent, nude rendition of herself with patches of white fur covering her more modest areas. Her hair is richer and thicker, extending to the bottom of her buttocks and caught in permanent but subtle motion. If not for her hollow eye sockets, she could almost be considered an ethereal beauty.
Aaron
QUOTE (quentra @ Apr 29 2008, 09:51 AM) *
Okay you guys, I'm gonna move the story forward. Professeur, and Kookyjeld, I'll most likely intro your charas at a later time, but I'll give you until Thursday morning, EST, to get your posts in. If they aren't in by then, I'm gonna start the game rolling regardless. I'm not kicking you guys off, but I do want the campaign to get started.

I, for one, am chomping at the bit.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 29 2008, 04:18 PM) *
I, for one, am chomping at the bit.

Word.
Professeur
Here is the description ! I'll just be waiting for quentra to approve my background before I post it and my intro.

Vlad stands at about 1m90. He is rather slim though he is in good shape. He has blond, neck-length hair and grey eyes. He usually dresses in a black business suit with a red shirt, yellow tie and a fedora, although he tends to change the colors as he wears feedback clothing. He has a habit of smoking small cigars and carries around a silver 10 oz flask, usually filled with good quality vodka.

Vlad rarely uses VR, but when he does he uses a custom icon representing a tall man clad in red clothing, his face shadowed by a large hat, leaving only yellow eyes visible.
quentra
Prof, I've decided to introduce at a later time, but it'll be soon, so don't worry. Or if you want, if you can get your post in by today, I'll just retcon you in.

@Everyone else: Make me a SIN check. If you have a real SIN and want to use it, don't bother making the test. To make a SIN check, roll the rating of your fake. Please use the rolling guidelines I set up in the first post, and don't forget that four's count as hits.
Aaron
Resterend makes a Fake SIN Test:

DP = Fake SIN 4
Roll 1: [3,5,3,2] = 1 hit
kookyjeld
Petra makes a Fake SIN Test:

DP = Fake SIN 3
Roll 1: [6,2,1] = 1 hit
Tabula Rasa
Holda makes a Fake SIN Test:

DP = Fake SIN 3
Roll 1: [2,4,4] = 2 hits

EDIT: Should have been rating 3...
Aaron
Resterend attempts to compile a Rating 6 courier sprite with the Exploit and Scan optional complex forms.
quentra
Go ahead.
Aaron
Resterend attempts to compile a Rating 6 courier sprite with the Exploit and Scan optional complex forms.

DP: Compiling 5 + Resonance 6 + Code Slinger 2 + Hot Sim (using a Free Action to flip) 2 = 15
Roll: [1,3,5,4,2,3,4,4,3,6,5,6,1,1,1] = 7 hits
Abschalten
Void makes a Fake SIN test:

DP = Fake SIN R:3
Roll 1: [1, 3, 4] = 1 hit

Additionally, I would like to make a Charisma+Etiquette roll to look like a perfectly innocent, innocuous, law-abiding European tourist. Are there any mods to the roll, GM?
Professeur
QUOTE (quentra @ May 2 2008, 08:53 AM) *
Prof, I've decided to introduce at a later time, but it'll be soon, so don't worry. Or if you want, if you can get your post in by today, I'll just retcon you in.

No problem, introduce me whenever you want, and I shall do my best to post quicker this time.
quentra
You still have that holder post, so if you want, you can still put a post in there. All I would have to do is edit a few posts to include your name.
quentra
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 2 2008, 03:11 PM) *

DP: Compiling 5 + Resonance 6 + Code Slinger 2 + Hot Sim (using a Free Action to flip) 2 = 15
Roll: [1,3,5,4,2,3,4,4,3,6,5,6,1,1,1] = 7 hits

DP: Sprite Rating 6
Roll: 3 2 3 1 4 3 = 1 hit

Net Hits: 6

Tasks: 6

Roll fading.

QUOTE (Abschalten @ May 3 2008, 12:56 PM) *
Void makes a Fake SIN test:

DP = Fake SIN R:3
Roll 1: [1, 3, 4] = 1 hit

Additionally, I would like to make a Charisma+Etiquette roll to look like a perfectly innocent, innocuous, law-abiding European tourist. Are there any mods to the roll, GM?

No mods, but don't roll just yet. If you're confronted with an officer, you can roll then.

@Cthuludream: You need to make an IC post and roll.
Aaron
QUOTE (quentra @ May 5 2008, 05:40 AM) *
DP: Sprite Rating 6
Roll: 3 2 3 1 4 3 = 1 hit
Net Hits: 6
Tasks: 6
Roll fading.

Can I just buy three hits?
quentra
No, you can only buy hits in non stressful situations. I'd say being trapped in a district with a fake SIN and cops scanning is not a nonstressful situation.
Aaron
Fair point.

DP: Willpower 6 + Resonance 6 = 12
Roll: [4,2,5,6,3,1,3,5,4,2,3,5] = 6 hits

Aaron
Resterend tells his sprite to keep a virtual eye out for scans for Hidden nodes, and inform him immediately if it finds one.
quentra
So you wanna tag the cops comms with Cookie? I don't know how else someone would notice scans for hidden nodes.
Aaron
Yes, please.
quentra
Five cops, you wanna tag em all, so that'd be five separate tasks. Is that right?
Aaron
Five cops that are scanning, or five cops total, all of whom are scanning. If all the cops are busy scanning, I'll just slink off quietly behind the counter. Otherwise, sure.
quentra
Catch 22- You don't know which are scanning, if any are, until you tag them with Cookie.
Aaron
Tag the lot of them, then.
Cthulhudreams
Sorry, I have been at work all weekend. I take your 25 pages and raise it another 100 pages and someone else was supposed to have done it frown.gif

DP = Fake SIN R:4
Roll 1: [4, 6, 4, 6 ] = 4 hits

Additionally as I'm a licensed mage, casing improved reflexes force 3 (reduced to 2 by the BGC)

DP = Spellcasting 4 + Magic 5 (due to BCG) + 2 powerfocus = 11
Roll 11 = 5, 2, 1, 4, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3= 3 hits, capped to 2 by the BGC, giving me an extra IP

Soaking Drain: Initution 5 + Willpower 5 = 10
Roll 10 = 5, 2, 1, 6, 2, 6, 6, 2, 3, 1 = 4 hits

I'm not actually sure if that completely soaks the drain, but it probably leaves it at stun 1 or 2 if it doesn't (I have a fetish)

License check for my magick license if anyone checks.

DP = License:R4
Roll 4 = 2, 6, 2, 4 = 2 hits
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012