Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mages Best Cyber/Bio?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
weblife
Trauma Dampener and Platelet Factory installed.

So I have broken into my first essence point. What can I fit into the rest of it?

Used .4 of it on Bio, so .6 left...

Best gimmick to stuff inside? - Tell please. smile.gif
ArkonC
Without more info about what type of mage:
Tricked out rating 4 cybereyes...
Speed Wraith
I suppose it depends on what you need the mage to do. Thanks to the full-one-half-the-other rule you can actually do some useful things for that 1 point sacrificed.
Stahlseele
pain editor, never worry about stun from drain again . .only if it leaks over into overflow physical *g*
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (ArkonC @ Apr 23 2008, 12:46 PM) *
Without more info about what type of mage:
Tricked out rating 4 cybereyes...

I prefer Cat's Eyes. But that is probably because I simply hate chrome...

If you are a hermetic, Cerebral Boosters are a must.
ArkonC
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 23 2008, 09:00 PM) *

But they only do low-light vision...
Tricked out cyber eyes do low-light, thermo, magnification, enhancement, covers, image link, smartlink, ultrasound (though not usable for targeting spells, still rocks), so they have a lot more functionality...
Stahlseele
they don't do ultra-sound any more i think . .
weblife
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 23 2008, 03:00 PM) *

I am a Possession based Qabbalist, so Logic is my Drain stat. Nice, I see they add to the attribute, not the logic tests... Sweet, good point!

At standard ratings that takes up my full point, and I have to get the Cerebrals after launch, as they are availability 18. But definately awesome!

Why cyber eyes btw? - There is plenty of mundy vision enhancers that can be used by mages, ya?

And I'll probably make a long term plan to switch it all to Delta, so there is still a little room left if you guys have more ideas. smile.gif
ArkonC
Really? Since when? And where's that ruling? (In case someone ask...)

EDIT: This is a reply to
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 23 2008, 09:12 PM) *
they don't do ultra-sound any more i think . .
of course...
Stahlseele
i thought they had made ultra sound headware instead of eyes?
WeaverMount
If you are really talking no holds barred this is .9875 points of delta.

Cyberware 1.35 --Delta Grade--> .675
.8 Skillwire (rating 4)
.2 Cyber Eyes (rating 2)
.1 Data Jack
.25 Cyber Hand Right

Bioware 1.25 --Delta Grade--> .625 --Bio Halved--> .3125
.1 Skin Pocket
.2 Trauma Damper
.2 Platelet Factiry
.15 Sleep regulator
.6 Ceribral Enhancement (rating 3)

Cyber Eyes (rating 2)[8]
[2] Thermographic
[3] Enhancement (rating 3)
[2] Vision mag
[1] Low light

Cyber Hand -Left (Bulk Mod + 2)[6]
[2] AirTank
[2] Radar Rating (rating 4)
[0] Auto-Injecter: -----
Extra Dose Capacity (rating 6)
*2x Stimulant (rating 6) (Less pain)
*2x BetaMeth (+2 reaction, +1 intuition)
*2x Pych (+1 logic, +1 willpower)
[2] Nanohive (rating 6)
Implant Medics
Universal Nanidotes
Universal Nanite Hunters
Nano Bio-Monitor
Neural Amplifier - Limbic
Neural Amplifier - NeoCortical

People love them some pain editors, but with the Cerebral enhancement, platelet factory and the trauma dampeners running you really shouldn't be taking drain you can't handle with stims. Obviously the load out on the cyber hand will vary. The character I rolled this up for has lots of downtime skills where the Neural Amplifiers help a ton. Skin Pocket for holding Foci. The Cyber hand capacity really has a lot of ways you could go with it, but I feel like the nanohive alone is worth the .25 essence and the rest of the capacity is gravy
The sleep regulator is included because downtime is worth more than nuyen.gif in the game this was cooked up for.

Edit: Formating & more explanation
Earlydawn
I thought we had clearly established that any kind of digital enhancement does not work for spell targetting.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (weblife @ Apr 23 2008, 01:12 PM) *
At standard ratings that takes up my full point, and I have to get the Cerebrals after launch, as they are availability 18. But definately awesome!

Just get rating 2 at chargen. Upgrade them to 3 once you can afford higher grades
Why cyber eyes btw? - There is plenty of mundy vision enhancers that can be used by mages, ya?

Because electronic vision enhancement cannot be used for spell targeting, unless paid for by essence (aka cybereyes). And in case you decide you want an ocular drone, even having paid the essence for it, you cannot target with it while it is outside of your body.
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 23 2008, 01:23 PM) *
i thought they had made ultra sound headware instead of eyes?

Cannot say for sure about the cyber, but I believe it is still eyes. Radar is headware though. External ultrasound is considered vision enhancement, and goes on your goggles/contacts.
SprainOgre
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 23 2008, 02:00 PM) *

I second the Cerebral Boosters. Did that with a mage in 3rd ed, and was happy I did.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (Earlydawn @ Apr 23 2008, 02:28 PM) *
I thought we had clearly established that any kind of digital enhancement does not work for spell targetting.

If you pay for it in essence, then it is as good as the magician's eyes, but I'm thinking that you mean using goggles or the like, which don't. Cybereyes are danged useful for a caster without some natural vision enhancement...
Stahlseele
yeah, but being a dwarf inSR3 and taking the edge nightvision(natural lowlight) and installing light system and flare compensation and maybe some optical zoom was still uber *g*
Shiloh
QUOTE (weblife @ Apr 23 2008, 08:12 PM) *

Most vision enhancers are electronic and therefore cannot be used to target magic. Cybereyes, you've paid the essence, so you *can* target using lo-lite, mag, thermo etc, and you don't have to worry about your lenses popping out and fouling your smartgun linkage.

weblife
QUOTE (Shiloh @ Apr 24 2008, 04:30 AM) *
Most vision enhancers are electronic and therefore cannot be used to target magic. Cybereyes, you've paid the essence, so you *can* target using lo-lite, mag, thermo etc, and you don't have to worry about your lenses popping out and fouling your smartgun linkage.

I have discovered I can get Rating 4 eyes, Alphaware, at creation for 3.000 nuyen and 0.2 Essence after the rebate. So they are going in.

The Cerebral Booster takes 0.6 Bio essence, so I'm buying two levels at Alpha at creation, then adding a level after. (I think It'll be ok with my GM)

That brings me to 0,88 Essence spent a short while after creation.

I was really amazed by the amount of stuff you can fit in once you go Deltaware...

Anyway, for my Eyes I will fill them with everything but the sink, amazing how much can be crammed inthere.

Among the things I find handy are the Autoinjector, taking up 0 capacity. Its listed under Bodyware, so whats your thought on that, is capacity capacity or is there a difference in placement? - As long as I do not put in anything obviously stupid like eye-spurs, I'm thinking A-ok?

I'd also like to put in a Nano-Hive at 2 capacity. Same question, A-ok or?
Stahlseele
Capacity only works in Cyber-Limbs . . so in a cyber-hand, the auto-injector would not take up any room, but without the hand, it will still take up essence . . same with the nano hive and a cyber-foot *g*
as for the eyes, remember that you do not need to get a camera and an image link as the eyes come equipped with that allready without those things taking up any essence/capacity ^^
and yes, with delta you can fit an unholy ammount more into a given essence index but that's kinda the point of delta anyway neh? O.o
weblife
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2008, 04:57 AM) *
Capacity only works in Cyber-Limbs . . so in a cyber-hand, the auto-injector would not take up any room, but without the hand, it will still take up essence . . same with the nano hive and a cyber-foot *g*
as for the eyes, remember that you do not need to get a camera and an image link as the eyes come equipped with that allready without those things taking up any essence/capacity ^^
and yes, with delta you can fit an unholy ammount more into a given essence index but that's kinda the point of delta anyway neh? O.o

But cybereyes 4 do have a capacity rating. It has 16 capacity to spend on eyeware.

My question is, would it be reasonable for some non-eyeware capacity using options from cyber-limbs in a cybereye?

In effect, the autoinjector at 0 capacity, so its obviously very very small, and the eye is next to the brain, so short deployment route for the drug.

Is it reasonable to put an autoinjector in my cyber-eye?

The nano-hive is a small eggshaped device requiring capacity 2 to install, so on paper I have the capacity left in my eye, again my question is, is it reasonable that such a device can be fitted in my cybereye?

It could be fitted in a cyber-skull with no problems, a cyberhand too, I think a cyber finger only have 1 capacity, so not there. But it can obviously be fitted into small places.

What do you think?
Fortune
Cybereye capacity is for cybereye enhancements only! Although almost anything (including some cyberear enhancements) can be put into cyberlimbs, the opposite is not true. The same restriction holds for cyberear capacity and cyberear enhancements. It can be confusing, and all of the separate 'capacities' should have different names, but it is kind of intuitive when you think about it. eye stuff can go in eyes, and uses eye capacity. Ear stuff can go in ears, and uses ear capacity. Body stuff goes into the body, and uses capacity when installed in cyberlimbs.

Incidentally, both Radar Sensors and Ultrasound are considered Body Enhancements.
Stahlseele
yeah, that is a little bit funky, allways has been, but it'S really intuitive enough, even for me O.o
ArkonC
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 24 2008, 01:21 PM) *
Incidentally, both Radar Sensors and Ultrasound are considered Body Enhancements.

Where does it say this?
Nevermind, I'm slow sometimes...
Stahlseele
so, can eye/ear stuff be put into hands/feet?
i'm guessing yes . . one would only have to hold the tip of two fingers around a corner to see/hear things with a shotgun microphone in one finger and the camera in the other and an image link and sound link O.o
Zak
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2008, 05:56 AM) *
so, can eye/ear stuff be put into hands/feet?
i'm guessing yes . . one would only have to hold the tip of two fingers around a corner to see/hear things with a shotgun microphone in one finger and the camera in the other and an image link and sound link O.o

Now the fun question: Can a mage use that sensory input for targeting spells?biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
should be technically possible, because he paid essence for the limb where the thing is in and he paid essence for the image link . . so he paid double O.o
IC-Pick
QUOTE (Zak @ Apr 24 2008, 08:06 AM) *
Now the fun question: Can a mage use that sensory input for targeting spells?biggrin.gif

I would definitely say yes. the visual sensor would be paid for in essence and would still be internal to his body.
Fortune
The book specifically lists individual cybereyes that can be installed in limbs (among other unusual places). I would not allow the eye stuff to be (effectively) implanted with out the actual eye.
Stahlseele
but drone-hands come with sensors and at least one camera in the middle finger . . and i don't think that would change when they are attached so yu have a hand full of sensory input and one camera and as long as you lug it around on your arm it counts as a limb not as a drone so you would have the hand with the cam without an eye in there . .
DTFarstar
Just to point out, the brain is generally a really bad place to inject stuff directly. There is a barrier(the blood brain barrier actually) that only allows a very specific few things to cross into the actual brain. Most OTC drugs, especially homeopathic stuff- especially infomercial stuff, are not included in that list and thus cannot get in the brain to where they would affect anything even if they are the correct hormone/whatever. Also, this is in place for a reason. You do not want BetaMeth in your actual brain.

Chris
Kerberos
QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Apr 24 2008, 10:19 AM) *
Just to point out, the brain is generally a really bad place to inject stuff directly. There is a barrier(the blood brain barrier actually) that only allows a very specific few things to cross into the actual brain. Most OTC drugs, especially homeopathic stuff- especially infomercial stuff, are not included in that list and thus cannot get in the brain to where they would affect anything even if they are the correct hormone/whatever. Also, this is in place for a reason. You do not want BetaMeth in your actual brain.

Chris

Actually it's entirely safe to inject homeopathic stuff pretty much anywhere, because it's - well, water.
Earlydawn
Going back to the Cybereye question, doesn't the description of vision enhancement on Pg. 324 imply that electronic enhancement doesn't work for the purposes of spellcasting? Similarly, dosen't that also imply that a cybereye for a mage, despite the essence bit, would have to be something closer to a mechanical multi-lens system, as opposed to a digitally filtered eye, making low-light and such unusable?

Rasumichin
QUOTE (Earlydawn @ Apr 24 2008, 06:36 PM) *
Going back to the Cybereye question, doesn't the description of vision enhancement on Pg. 324 imply that electronic enhancement doesn't work for the purposes of spellcasting? Similarly, dosen't that also imply that a cybereye for a mage, despite the essence bit, would have to be something closer to a mechanical multi-lens system, as opposed to a digitally filtered eye, making low-light and such unusable?

This used to be true at least for the vision magnification part (which is why SSC's first cybereye vision magnification system included a bulkier, purely optical version for magicians).

Can't quite recall at the moment how this was in SR2-3, but in SR4, the only crucial point seems to be wether an electronic enhancement was payed for with essence or not.

For external stuff, though, you have to go all optical, like the magesight goggles and so on.
Stahlseele
in 3 there was optical and electronic magnification, only optical for 0,2Essence worked, not the electronic for 0,1Essence
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2008, 06:48 PM) *
in 3 there was optical and electronic magnification, only optical for 0,2Essence worked, not the electronic for 0,1Essence

I'm glad that this has been fixed now.
It just doesn't make sense to me that you can use purely electronic low-light or thermographic vision if you have payed essence for it, but cannot use electronic magnification in your cybereyes.

The fact that there is no optical cybereye magnification available anymore in SR4 might also support that it just isn't necessary under current rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012