Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time magician
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mordant
Hey, been kinda lurking around for a while but finally had something to post. New game is starting up Friday, and the GM and other players have encouraged me to try a Magician character. I'm all for it, but I've never actually played one in SR before, so I've been reading up and wanted to post what I have so far on here to make sure there's nothing I've just straight up fouled up. Input is appreciated.

The game: 400 points, contacts by the house rule I've read some people on here use (loyalty x influence, 3 points per BP, cha+int free). Set in Caracas, the characters are supposed to be down-on-their-luck as the game starts.

Worked out a background and tradition tied to it with the GM, the mechanical elements of it being: Charisma for drain, spirits: Guardian, Guidance, Man, Air, Fire.

I'd like him to not be useless in a firefight or doing things that aren't directly magical. The spear skill I picked up for up close defense and such and thought the reach might be of some benefit. If that's just silly let me know.

Metatype: Human (0 bp)

Attributes: (170 + 50 = 220 bp)
Body 4
Agility 3
Reaction 3
Strength 2
Charisma 4
Intuition 3
Logic 3
Willpower 4

Edge: 3
Magic: 5
Essence: 6

Qualities (-15 bp)
Magician (15)
Mentor Spirit - Fire-Bringer (5)
SINner, Criminal (-10)
Sensitive System (-15)
Geas, Ritual (-10)

Skills: (152 bp)
Sorcery Group 4
Conjuring Group 4
Perception (Visual) 2
Assensing (Astral Signatures) 2
Dodge (Ranged) 2
Blades (Spears) 1
Pistols (Semi-Automatic) 2
Infiltration (Urban) 2
Negotiation (Bargaining) 2
Etiquette (Street) 1

Spells: (21 bp)
Levitate
Mana Static
Manabolt
Stunbolt
Improved Invisibility
Increase Reflexes
Heal

Contacts: (0 spent so far)
Intend to buy probably a (3/3) Talismonger and others

Gear: (0 so far)
Probably not too much here, a lodge, some binding materials, gun, armor, a telescoping spear, contacts and glasses with vision mods.

Points Remaining: 22

So, incomplete as is. My first time playing an Awakened char really, so I am a little nervous about the low stats and such. Also wonder if I might be selling the charisma angle short without the Influence group. Attempting to decide whether to buy a health sustaining focus for the Increase Reflexes, or whether to summon a force 4 Spirit of Man to cast it on me. Also a bit worried about reliance on specialties. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks.
Kerberos
QUOTE (Mordant @ Apr 23 2008, 11:56 PM) *
Hey, been kinda lurking around for a while but finally had something to post. New game is starting up Friday, and the GM and other players have encouraged me to try a Magician character. I'm all for it, but I've never actually played one in SR before, so I've been reading up and wanted to post what I have so far on here to make sure there's nothing I've just straight up fouled up. Input is appreciated.

The game: 400 points, contacts by the house rule I've read some people on here use (loyalty x influence, 3 points per BP, cha+int free). Set in Caracas, the characters are supposed to be down-on-their-luck as the game starts.

Worked out a background and tradition tied to it with the GM, the mechanical elements of it being: Charisma for drain, spirits: Guardian, Guidance, Man, Air, Fire.

I'd like him to not be useless in a firefight or doing things that aren't directly magical. The spear skill I picked up for up close defense and such and thought the reach might be of some benefit. If that's just silly let me know.

Metatype: Human (0 bp)

Attributes: (170 + 50 = 220 bp)
Body 4
Agility 3
Reaction 3
Strength 2
Charisma 4
Intuition 3
Logic 3
Willpower 4

Edge: 3
Magic: 5
Essence: 6

Qualities (-15 bp)
Magician (15)
Mentor Spirit - Fire-Bringer (5)
SINner, Criminal (-10)
Sensitive System (-15)
Geas, Ritual (-10)

Skills: (152 bp)
Sorcery Group 4
Conjuring Group 4
Perception (Visual) 2
Assensing (Astral Signatures) 2
Dodge (Ranged) 2
Blades (Spears) 1
Pistols (Semi-Automatic) 2
Infiltration (Urban) 2
Negotiation (Bargaining) 2
Etiquette (Street) 1

Spells: (21 bp)
Levitate
Mana Static
Manabolt
Stunbolt
Improved Invisibility
Increase Reflexes
Heal

Contacts: (0 spent so far)
Intend to buy probably a (3/3) Talismonger and others

Gear: (0 so far)
Probably not too much here, a lodge, some binding materials, gun, armor, a telescoping spear, contacts and glasses with vision mods.

Points Remaining: 22

So, incomplete as is. My first time playing an Awakened char really, so I am a little nervous about the low stats and such. Also wonder if I might be selling the charisma angle short without the Influence group. Attempting to decide whether to buy a health sustaining focus for the Increase Reflexes, or whether to summon a force 4 Spirit of Man to cast it on me. Also a bit worried about reliance on specialties. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

Clearly your character isn't optimized, but that is no doubt intentional. Still if the low stats bother you, you could make a choice between spell casting and summoning. As for taking the influence group that would certainly make sense. Particularly, though not exclusively, if your group lacks a dedicated face. For example: Drop conjuring, etiquete and negotiate nets you 56 BP. The raise charisma 1, get spell casting 4, and influence group 3. You should now have a decent mage/face. Of cause you could also drop the sorcery group and take the spell casting skill at 4 if you'd rather go the spirit route.
Crusher Bob
Your basic stats are 180 points, not 170.

Pole arms, e.g. spears, are technically exotic melee weapons, not blades.
Mordant
Thanks, Kerberos, I appreciate the input. I might lower one of the groups or something to finegle points, or I might cut out some of the skills in those groups. I know it doesn't make as much numbers sense, but I want to be able to do both sorcery and conjuring, just from a RP aspect, and to be kind of able to cover what bases we need in the team.

Crusher Bob, you are indeed correct on the attribute points, missed where i added to Willpower I think, or Body. On the spear part though, Arsenal added a specific weapon for Spear to the Blades section, independent of the exotic weapon Polearm. May be dropping that though and having a big fire spirit stand in front of me or something though. smile.gif

Thanks guys!
Hat
A spell I've seen very useful is Mindnet. It allows the group to keep in contact even if the mage is astrally projecting or you're operating in a deadzone where the comm signals aren't operational. You could even use comm chatter as diversionary tactics or false intel if you think your network's been hacked. The other skill to potentially pick up is Pilot Groundcraft at 1 with an appopriate specialization. Bike would be a good choice and then pick up an off-road ride. One other thought, you might want to consider changing Dodge out for Gymnastics, especially as Gymnastics includes dance which might be appropriate for your casting tradition (with the Ritual notation).

With a sweep of his...

Hat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012