Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armored cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lionhearted
My search fu is probably very weak, but hell.. glancing through 2.5 million threads that mentions cyberlimbs, not my cup of tea..
So here's the question, Does Armor on cyberlimb stack with ordinary armor, like the armor gained from Bone Density/Bone lacing or does it count as ordinary armor? either way do you calculate the average armor of each limb? how does it work if you only have one Cyberlimb? Does the armor from different limbs stack up? does cyberarmor count against encumberance?
Nightwalker450
It stacks. It all stacks. No averaging, you add it all up and put it on your armor.

Thats per RAW. It doesn't count against encumberance either.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Apr 25 2008, 10:43 PM) *
It stacks. It all stacks. No averaging, you add it all up and put it on your armor.

Thats per RAW. It doesn't count against encumberance either.

Where exactly can I find this entry, I pretty much finecombed the BBB after anything that could indicate just that.. cyber.gif
so.. in theory you could have skull, 2 arms, 2 legs and torso with 4 armor each summing up to a grand total of 20?
Does it stack with BD/BL to then?
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Apr 25 2008, 03:47 PM) *
Where exactly can I find this entry, I pretty much finecombed the BBB after anything that could indicate just that.. cyber.gif
so.. in theory you could have skull, 2 arms, 2 legs and torso with 4 armor each summing up to a grand total of 20?
Does it stack with BD/BL to then?

I don't have a book on me, sorry.

BD/BL most say no, because you don't have enough bones left. But overall there's no ruling in the book either way.

It also stacks with FFBA, PPP, and your choice of armor.
Lionhearted
FFBA? PPP?
Nightwalker450
Arsenal Items

Form Fitting Body Armor: (Armor that only counts half towards encumberance) (Up to 6/4)

PPP (I can't remember what it stands for), but basically sports equipment, knee pads, elbow pads, nutcup, helmet... Doesn't count towards encumberance. (2/4 with all pieces I think...)

EDIT: 2/6 with all pieces, I just never got the helmet, so mine was 2/4
hobgoblin
form fitting body armor u. the ppp escapes me tho...
Lionhearted
Physical Performance Props? xD
Stahlseele
i'll guess: personal partial protectors . . or something like that probably *g*
and yes, Cyber-Armor stacks . . it all stacks every time with anything else. .
why? balancing reasons, because there would be no reason whatsoever to get cyber-limb-armor and because SR doesn't use a hit-location System but an very abstract damage-system . .
the same reason why your FFBA and the such guard you from head-shots ^^
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 25 2008, 11:06 PM) *
the same reason why your FFBA and the such guard you from head-shots ^^

Ninja knee cap protectors! "Hah! you thought you could hit me in the head, but I got my ninja caps of doom!"
Stahlseele
yeah, that's the sillyness of the SR Damage System without hit-locations, but else everyone would be doing headshots all the time and it would become a game of glass-cannons . .
but with SR4 there's now rules for negating armor due to called shots . .
HentaiZonga
Out of curiosity, has anyone here used house-rules for damage locations, and how did they work?

Here's mine:

If you don't make a 'called shot', roll 1D6 and check the following table; the result is the location hit:

1 - Legs (if necessary, reroll: 1-3=left, 4-6=right)
2 - Left Arm
3 - Right Arm
4,5 - Body
6 - Head

Your Damage Resistance dice equals your Body (of the appropriate section) + Armor Rating (of the appropriate section). Standard SR armor ratings must be divided up into which sections they cover; if any one location exceeds half the character's Body (round up), reduce the Agility of that location by the difference.

Each location hit has its own special effects:
Head - All head hits cause one additional box of Stun damage for each point of damage sustained (Stun or Physical), and immediately require a Body + Willpower (wound boxes sustained) check to remain conscious.

Torso - torso hits cause no special effects.

Legs - a leg hit forces an automatic Knockdown test, with an additional modifier equal to the number of damage boxes sustained by the hit. The character's running movement rate (in meters/second) is reduced by the number of hits sustained, until the damage heals. If the character has a full cyberlimb, the hit cannot go into damage overflow, and do not cause 'bleeding out' on a Damage Resistance glitch (but should instead cause one of the 'ware-based Negative Qualities from Augmentation, until repaired).

Arms - an arm hit forces a Body + Strength (wound boxes sustained) check to hold onto whatever the character was holding, modified further by the weight of the object. All actions performed with that arm are at a -1 dice pool modifier for every 3 damage boxes sustained, until the damage heals. If the character has a full cyberlimb, the hit cannot go into damage overflow, and do not cause 'bleeding out' on a Damage Resistance glitch (but should instead cause one of the 'ware-based Negative Qualities from Augmentation, until repaired).

What do you think, Sirs?
Lionhearted
seems a little random although
"I aim for the head!"
"roll it"
"1!"
"well you hit him in the leg.."
"how the.."

edit: Misread sorry..

Pity you didn't add groin aswell.. now that is humiliation and pain in one wonderful cocktail, I kinda like the effects although
Nightwalker450
I'm home now and its
SecureTech PPP (Personal Protection Piecemeal) System
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Apr 26 2008, 12:35 AM) *
I'm home now and its
SecureTech PPP (Personal Protection Piecemeal) System

Right, can you be a sweetie and check out where that cyberarmor rule you mentioned is written smile.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 25 2008, 11:13 PM) *
yeah, that's the sillyness of the SR Damage System without hit-locations, but else everyone would be doing headshots all the time and it would become a game of glass-cannons . .
but with SR4 there's now rules for negating armor due to called shots . .

there is also the rule for doing more damage, but at the same time take negatives on the attack roll. to me thats aiming for heart, head or similar rather then general direction and pray...

yes, armor still counts on that. even if all your wearing are kevlar boxers. but i think the idea is that your aiming for the most vunerable spot at the given moment, not waiting for a specific body part to show up. its not like the target suddenly stands up, spreads arms and legs and lets you take your time to select.
Stahlseele
yeah, the called shots rules have become better in SR4 too . . i will still stay with SR3 untill i don't find anybody who wants to play that instead of 4 . . and only then will i grudgingly make my transition and bemoan the good old days where we still stuck wires into our heads and tell the damn kids to get off my virtual lawn!
in SR3, Cyberlimb-Armor was averaged, one of the reasons why cyberlimbs in SR3 sucked so much . .
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 26 2008, 11:40 AM) *
yeah, the called shots rules have become better in SR4 too . . i will still stay with SR3 untill i don't find anybody who wants to play that instead of 4 . . and only then will i grudgingly make my transition and bemoan the good old days where we still stuck wires into our heads and tell the damn kids to get off my virtual lawn!
in SR3, Cyberlimb-Armor was averaged, one of the reasons why cyberlimbs in SR3 sucked so much . .

*nod* I have to say, SR4/Augmentation finally got cyberlimbs right.
Stahlseele
yeah, Franky did something right there . . that's the ony big good thing i can see about SR4 . . the only thing i actually like about it . .
i am thinking about maybe trying to port those rules down to 3rd ed . .if i ever get to have a free day and the will to actually do something then ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Apr 25 2008, 05:12 PM) *
Pity you didn't add groin aswell.. now that is humiliation and pain in one wonderful cocktail, I kinda like the effects although

One of the rudest called shots we did was in a game of Star Wars D6. High-Powered Characters we've been running for years going on a early adventure for starting characters. Needless to say, we demoralized the opponents by "Challenging Ourselves" by calling our shots, out loud, and still performing them.

The rudest was, "Called Left Testicle Shot, With a Rifle, One-Handed, Off-Handed.", and he did it.

We lost money on the job, actually. We did it because we were bored.

And now, back to Shadowrun.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 26 2008, 06:40 AM) *

Wires still get stuck into heads. All the time, man. Better bandwidth and more reliable than wireless!

Of course, as a former Tech Support person who had to SUPPORT Wireless Networks for Idiots, er... I mean, the Average User... I could just be very, very prejudiced.
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Apr 25 2008, 05:38 PM) *
Right, can you be a sweetie and check out where that cyberarmor rule you mentioned is written smile.gif

I've scowered the books, and I can't find it (I wasn't just ignoring you).... Someone help me out here, Lionhearted is making me doubt it as well now. biggrin.gif
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ May 2 2008, 09:26 AM) *
I've scowered the books, and I can't find it (I wasn't just ignoring you).... Someone help me out here, Lionhearted is making me doubt it as well now. biggrin.gif

The RAW never specified, actually. It was explained right here, on this forum, and in the Errata and SR4 FAQ that the developer thought it "should probably be cumulative".
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ May 2 2008, 11:28 AM) *
The RAW never specified, actually. It was explained right here, on this forum, and in the Errata and SR4 FAQ that the developer thought it "should probably be cumulative".

I can't find it in Errata or SR4 FAQ, I'd looked there as well. Maybe its going in the FAQ update.

I can see how it does, just like helmets or the PPP gear. I was just trying to help Lionhearted out in pointing out exact. But I think its only listed in some random topic with a developer answer. So it unofficially offical answer. biggrin.gif
Sombranox
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 11 2008, 11:46 AM) *
Worn and integrated armor is meant to stack and, yes, this might make a cyborg body almost bulletproof (if you can afford it) - that is one of the reasons cyborgs are interesting options. One of the reasons Structural Reinforcement was not included in Arsenal was that we didn't have enough time to work out all the high-end balance issues. All that said that the only cyborg model that will be able to use worn armor designed for metahuman is the Tomino. The other two models will not pass as metahuman even using Mimic modifications and armor would have to be adapted.

This was posted by Synner actually about cyborg bodies rather than cyberlimbs, but I've always referenced it when my players have asked about worn and integrated stacking.

Aside from which, I don't see why it wouldn't. You replace large chunks of your body with metal, then layer those parts with armored metal, it makes sense that it's harder to find a place to shoot you that'll punch through properly.
hobgoblin
indeed, at most you will make someone leak hydraulic fluid or similar...
Lionhearted
Well its obvious what the developers intended us to do with these rules, there's an old junkbox out there that needs to come alive
Serve the public trust, protect the innocent, uphold the law.
hobgoblin
heh, i built him under the old rules, and i seemed to work out ok so...
krakjen
So... he would be using obvious cyberlimbs with bulk modifications and maximum armor everywhere ?
Stahlseele
pretty much, yeah
Shrike30
I've done that, actually... should post it up here somewhere. It's a *lot* of armor biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
it's a brick, get an axe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012