Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Miami
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blue eyes
Im trying to plan a rather long adventure in Miami for my players, that eventually will lead them deeper into the Caribbean. So I've been looking for info regarding Miami in shadowrun books. Ive gone over books released by FASA, Fanpro and Catalyst, but sofar I've only been able to find something in the Cyberpirates book (the caribbean league sourcebook released by Fasa in 1997), and that was only half a page... frown.gif

Anyone know if Miami is covered in any other shadowrun book? I dont think it is but maybe/hopefully some of you will prove me wrong.
Wounded Ronin
Eh, just rip off of Miami Vice. Play lots of 80s music during the game.
Method
Target: Smuggler's Havens has some info on the Caribbean League, but its centered mostly on New Orleans.

Blue eyes
biggrin.gif Thats an option ofc. Well it wont be a problem for me to put something together. Im just hoping that I've missed something about Miami in some other book.
Blue eyes
Any chance that Miami will be covered in one of the upcoming geographical spotlight books?
Grinder
The novel "Shadowboxer" contains some info about Miami. And iirc Art Dankwalter (or however his last name is spelled) got involved with the city when he ripped Gunderson Corporation apart. That should be in "Threats".
CanRay
*Sighs* One of the few novels I could never find. frown.gif
Blue eyes
Got the novel, been over 6 years or so since I read it so dont really remember it. I will have a read thank you Grinder.
Grinder
You're welcome. smile.gif

FlakJacket
QUOTE (Grinder @ Apr 26 2008, 04:45 PM) *
The novel "Shadowboxer" contains some info about Miami.

Don't bother, it's incredibly bad. If I recall it's one of the few if only novel where FASA/FanPro declared to be completely non-canon, both rules as well as plot-wise.

The books that cover the city are CyberPirates for what little information we got on the place and Threats 2 for the update on what happened to Gunderson Corporation, the main local player.

Going from memory since I don't have access to the books at the moment in brief Miami used to be pretty much a one corp town with AA rated corporation Gunderson having a strangle hold on the place, with two of their largest subsidiaries being TransSea (shipping division) and Atlantic Security(surprise surprise, security division covering both land and sea) which they used to enforce their control. When Art Dankwalther was limbering up for his attempt to destroy Novatech though he decided to use Gunderson as his practice attempt of taking down down an AA corporation and he tore them to shreds. Gunderson lost something like two thirds of their total assets and had to sell off TransSea to Wuxing and I believe AtSec, although I'm not a hundred percent sure about that one, just to survive. This means that Gunderson lost their monopoly on Miami and the region opened up to competing interests.
Blue eyes
Yeah found some nice info regarding Miami and recent devolpments there as well as some info about Gunderson Corp in Threats 2 thanks smile.gif

In regards to the different corporations that have bought up most of Gunderson corporation I have a question about one of them. Does anyone know which country the corporation: Global Oil is from? Ive found a few mentions of it in Threats 2 and Target Wasteland but no real info about where the corp is from, but it seems that its an independant A or AA.
Fortune
Global Oil was rated A until it merged with Sandstorm Engineering Conglomerate, another A-rated corp out of Arabia to form Global Sandstorm in 2065. Despite being only rated AA, having sided with Ibn Eisn, it is now the leading corporation in the Middle East, ahead of even Saeder Krupp. They deal mostly in resourses and contruction, and their owners (or main stockholders) appear to be the Shammar family.

Information on Global Oil can be found in ...
- System Failure - pg. 110
- Shadows of Asia - pg. 100, 101, 105, 219, 220
- Target: Wastelands - somewhere?
- California Free State - pg. 13

Information on Sandstorm Engineering Conglomerate can be found in ...
- System Failure - pg. 110
- Shadows of Asia - pg. 13, 98, 100, 105, 220

Information on Global Sandstorm can be found in ...
- System Failure - pg. 104, 110, 111, 112, 113

*Much thanks to Nath smile.gif
Grinder
You have been bored, it seems. biggrin.gif
Blue eyes
Wow thank you very much Fortune! Lots to look into smile.gif
Fortune
No Problem. smile.gif

QUOTE (Grinder)
You have been bored, it seems.

Yes, but this didn't take long. I have Nath's Corp Index, and just basically summarized from there. I didn't even crack a book. biggrin.gif
Blue eyes
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 27 2008, 06:46 PM) *
Yes, but this didn't take long. I have Nath's Corp Index, and just basically summarized from there. I didn't even crack a book. biggrin.gif

Is this Corp Index available from somewhere or? Just had to ask since it seems like a very useful tool.
Fortune
Last time I checked you could find the xls file here.
FlakJacket
How up to date is it nowadays? Having a quick look through it seems like it goes all the way up to System Failure but I could be missing something.
Fortune
Up-to-date as of 2065 and System Failure. I think Nath is working on an updated copy, but I am not too sure.
FlakJacket
Has Nath been about lately? I've been something of an infrequent and cursory visiter of the forums for a while so I haven't really seen any recent posts of his. Either way I'll give him a PM and see if he's planning on updating it or not and offer some help if he is.
Fortune
He actually posted today, and he posted that link a little over a month ago, but doesn't post all that often (well, compared to me anyway! biggrin.gif).
Grinder
Well, you are... dedicated. biggrin.gif
Fuchs
In my Miami campaign, we just made the city up, using rl guides as a base. Core to our view was the "Miami is a mob town" idea - I think that's taken from the Underworld Sourcebook, but I am not sure anymore, we started playing years ago.

We got a home-made sourcebook, but it's in german.
Blue eyes
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 27 2008, 09:42 PM) *
Last time I checked you could find the xls file here.

Thank you Fortune, its an awesome aid and thank you Nath! smile.gif
Blue eyes
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Apr 28 2008, 01:47 AM) *
We got a home-made sourcebook, but it's in german.

Wow very cool! I bet that was alot of work, well im no stranger to creating settings myself, so it shouldnt be a problem creating a satisfing setting from the info ive found thanks to the help I got here on the forum together with my own stuff.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Blue eyes @ Apr 28 2008, 11:26 AM) *
Wow very cool! I bet that was alot of work, well im no stranger to creating settings myself, so it shouldnt be a problem creating a satisfing setting from the info ive found thanks to the help I got here on the forum together with my own stuff.

Not that much of work, it grew over time. I just keep adding whatever location or NPC I create during play to the files. Base was a travel guide (or two) I found on the internet, which I adapted to SR-times.
Blue eyes
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Apr 28 2008, 04:37 AM) *
Not that much of work, it grew over time. I just keep adding whatever location or NPC I create during play to the files. Base was a travel guide (or two) I found on the internet, which I adapted to SR-times.

Yeah I know what u mean things tend to do that, thats what is happening with my Venice campaign. I'll look for a Miami guide on the net thanks for the advice Fuchs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012