Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Future Guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daier Mune
so we've all read about the metal storm guns, microwave beams and railguns, i wanted to post a few other modern guns that were taking some new approaches to older concepts.

Kriss Super V highly accurate and low recoil .45 SMG

M468 rifle Barrett didn't like the low power of the 5.56 round, and didn't want to deal with the higher recoil and ammo problems of 7.62mm, so they invented a new 6.8mm round.

PAW-20 20mm airburst grenade rifle, most interesting thing is the grip style on the gun, its more like you cradle it.

lets see some more fancy shooters.
Rad
I'm still waiting for somebody to turn the Millennium Laser concept into a weapon.

The idea of a watergun that can chip teeth is hillarious, scale that up and you've got naval ships with armor-piercing watercannons.

(That link isn't so great, I'm still trying to drag up the Popular Mechanics article I first saw this mentioned in...)
Crusher Bob
Sigh, where to begin.

The M468 sounds a lot like the EM-2 in 7mm British (~1948), the Fedorov Avtomat in 6.5mm Arisaka (~1913!), or even the original design of the M1 in .276 Pedersen (~1935). The most that can be said about it is that the intermediate rifle cartridge is so old that it's new again.

The Kriss Super V showed up when most nations are moving away from pistol caliber SMGs due to thier inability to penetrate even modest armor.

The OICW concept is a much more representative than the PAW-20, mostly because of the OCIWs fire control + air bursting munitions. The 20mm projectiles by the PAW-20 are point detonation only.

-----------

So what to actually classify as interesting?

First, new sights and fire control systems. Take a look at the holograhpics sights that are being tacked on to almost everything. Also, note how the addition of a better fire control system to the Panzerfaust3 basically doubled the effective range of the weapon.

But SR already has air-bursting grenades and smartlinks.

So what about the stuff that SR dosen't have?

Weapons designed with the penetration of personal armor as a main design goal.

Stuff like the FN 57, FN P90, HK MP7 all fire rounds that have some hope of defeating personal body armor, but with energy levels much closer to classic pistol rounds. Of course, the fact that they don't do a lot of tissue damage makes them somewhat less than idea.

The AN94 also has some hope of defeating body armor in its two round burst mode. The G-11, with it's very high rate of fire in burst mode probably shows similar armor-defeating properties.

Weapons firing subsonic projectiles that still exhibit penetration similar to rifle fire.
.300 Whisper, to the VSS, and VSSK.

Of course, since basically

[edit]
Hmm, trailed off in mid thought.

... SR does not handle suppressed /velocity controlled weapons that well at all, you don't really gain too much from modeling this sort of weapon
[/edit]
Shiloh
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Apr 28 2008, 05:40 AM) *
Weapons designed with the penetration of personal armor as a main design goal.

Stuff like the FN 57, FN P90, HK MP7 all fire rounds that have some hope of defeating personal body armor, but with energy levels much closer to classic pistol rounds. Of course, the fact that they don't do a lot of tissue damage makes them somewhat less than idea.

In some ways these could be considered analogous to current SR weapons with the "APDS" modifiers (or -1 DV -3 AP if the APDS is too "severe")... so their '70s equivalent would effectively get the AP mods included in their stats, but would be unable to use other types of ammo. Sort of the opposite of flechette weapons.

The AN94 also has some hope of defeating body armor in its two round burst mode. The G-11, with it's very high rate of fire in burst mode probably shows similar armor-defeating properties.

I think the "HVAR" weapons are supposed to be the G-11-alikes with extremely high RoF...
Crusher Bob
I went through a lot of this stuff back in 2007, in my Armor, hit locations, and math thread.
Larme
The PAW-20 is a boltgun! Whee! biggrin.gif
Ed_209a
I think small arms using a mechanical action, like a scaled down Chaingun would be interesting. It would be nearly impossible for it to jam.

Electrothermal/energized plasma firearms- Instead of generating high pressure gas by burning gunpowder, you can create gas pressure by running a tremendous amount of energy through a substance, even water. The water boils instantly, and generates the needed pressure. The SR setting has combat-practical laser and railgun weapons, which require even more power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012