Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to wear...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanRay
All right folks, your Shadowteam needs to be stylin' for some reason, and your typical street threads and business suits just won't cut it for once.

What do you wear, and how do you "Accessorize" appropriately?
Stahlseele
Shaman or Mage with the Fashion spell is usefull after all O.o
else, Form-Fitting Body-Armor and smoking or something like that . .
Cyber/Bio-Armor ain't that wrong either . . and accessorized with some unconspicous light weapons . . Viper Sliver-Gun, Taser, Dart-Gun, Shock-Frills, Hardliner-Gear . .
ElFenrir
Well, really depends on the character. I'll seperate out a couple of them and describe them depending on situation.

Kaiser(young martial arts master)-everyday wear is tank top, loose cargos(easy to move in), fingerless gloves(not uncommon even in everyday wear, but they are hardened), and heavy combat-style boots; also hardened. He has small silver earrings and occationly suspenders worn off his shoulders. If he needs a coat, it's usually a black bomber-style leather jacket. This style is also good for ''Casual Meets''-not every meet needs the team to be in a suit, and he keeps them clean so it's not dirty street wear. (If he thinks a meet or whatnot might get hairy, a semi-set of FFBA will be worn, sleeveless, covers the legs, etc.) His hair is usually worn down, past his chin, combed straight. (I admit, I lifted the style of dress from a fighting game character whom i really liked the style of-and made it fit in because Kaiser himself loves old fighting games.)

On usual runs, form-fitting body armor, armor jacket, black clothing(or whatever color to fit in). Same heavy boots and gloves; he adds shin and forearm guards to help as well.

Fancy meets? Yes, FFBA goes underneath; and usually a longsleeve black shirt with a vest, nice slacks, shoes that are fairly nice(but still easy to fight in if necessary. Yes, occationly 'fancy meets' get disguised as a reason to 'catch the runners offguard'. Not all the time-but you never know.) If he's bodyguarding someone someplace fancy-the vest is armored. Hair usually slicked back(although a couple of pieces usually end up in his face.)
Cantankerous
*The troll looks around* "Who me? I tend to go with this real nice Vashon Island suit in grey pin stripes. I grabbed a nice suit off a corp bullyboy, one of my own kind, but with no social conscience, who stuck his head through a hole in the wall to look into the room I was standing in and I was able to snap his fool neck and thus get the suit unperforated. He was just my size too."

BB
WearzManySkins
One character
He has earrings of gold type of material in each ear lobe. Each earring is an ornate gold loop type of earring, about the size of a quarter new yen piece.

He has three rings of his left hand, one platinum metal set with a black cabbed onyx on is ring finger, one of silver metal set with a large piece of bloodstone covering almost of that finger bone, and the last one gray metal set with a oval cabbed moss agate of very large size covering that finger bone area. On his right wrist is a brass colored metal wristband, with intertwining silver and gold wires in ivy pattern, three stones, the center one oval shaped cab of red jasper, on each side of the center stone are smaller oval cabs of carnelian.

He wears black or dark brown pants/slacks of a loose fit. His pants are typically tucked into knee high Cossack boots of leather, with a fine black shine. Shirts are long sleeved with snap types of buttons, typically of white materials. The shirts are heavily embroidered, with bright colorful threads and floral patterns.

He wears black hats of a fedora style, tilted to his left a bit. Hatbands around hats are typically a yellow silk material. He wears a slash type of belt made of intertwined leather strand like materials.

He wears a brightly colored scarf around his neck, red being the usual color.

His jackets are well fit with wide collars and well padded shoulders, tucking nicely at his waist. His jacket has embroidered with tan colored threads in two Roma cultural patterns.

Another character
His hair is black and medium length, hair bound back in a short pony tail. His skin is lightly tanned. His right eye is blue and his left is green, a family trait both his parents share. He wears a silver finished large pentacle on a heavy silver chain around his neck. He also has 4 rings, two on each hand; all are of silver and engraved with runes and symbols. He wears natural clothing of cotton or leather fabrics, brightly colored in greens, blues and blacks.

Another character
His head is bald, but appears to be shaved that way. Eyes are brown and blue, a combination he get from his mothers side of the family. His skin color is medium tanned, with elaborate floral patterns of Tattoos covering most of his head, arms, chest and shoulders, using several bright green colors of inks.

He wears vests made of light leather with his bare arms sticking thru. When more formally dressed, he wears a long sleeved cotton shirt colored in browns and greens. Pants are of light leather or a tight cotton material with slight bell bottoms at the ends of the pants legs. Pants are dark browns or dark greens.

WMS
Siege
Hire a fashion consultant to purchase a wardrobe for me, parameters: social or professional setting plus corporate dress code.

Do background snoop on corps moving to and from similar situations - take photos and identify accessories. Mix and match an outfit blended from all surveillance footage.

Be as bland and generic as possible, environment permitting - if everyone is wearing this season's finest, so am I. It does me no good to wear the nicest, prettiest woodland camo to a sandbox.

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 28 2008, 12:01 AM) *
All right folks, your Shadowteam needs to be stylin' for some reason, and your typical street threads and business suits just won't cut it for once.

What do you wear ...

Well, given that scenario, probably nothing.

... and how do you "Accessorize" appropriately?

Um ... maybe a glow-in-the-dark condom and some maple syrup?!?
Cabral
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 27 2008, 09:01 AM) *

What does cut it? "no street threads or business suits" pretty much translates into "no clothes".
vladski
Rent an armored tux. You can never go wrong with a basic black tux.

Which reminds me of not too long ago...

I was running one of my players on a one session solo deal (intended to lead into the regular group session and provide him an opportunity to do some personal character development stuff) The character is an ork, an undercover Federal Marshal... who started out as an undercover detective in a gang the Barrens. Needless to say, he tends to have a bit of the street about him still in his regualr dress. However, for this mission he was assigned to body guard the daughter of a corp bigwig at a special unveiling gala/shindig. Black-tie affair.

He was teamed up with a new NPC to be his partner, a troll combat mage, who had a flair for sophistication. You would have thought his patron saint was James Bond. wink.gif He took one look at "Pinky" and went "This simply will NOT do." Had his own personal tailor show up and do a fitting for an armored tux. It was particularly fun when we got to the point where the flagrantly gay elf was trying to determine which way the ork "dressed." biggrin.gif

Anyway, I had a hoot when, during a huge gun battle in the presentation hall where a group of "ninja" orks were trying to kidnap the daughter, I kept descibing to him how every melee combat move he made further distressed his fine threads.

By the time the ninja orks got away with the girl, his troll partner was dead and he had half a dozen bullet holes inthe tux, one sleeve ripped off of his jacket, the mid shoulder seam split, the front of his shirt ripped open and the leg blown out of his trousers. Blood from holding his partner's head during his melodramatic death scene soaked the front of his shirt. It painted quite the picture when his handler showed up with some information about where the ninjas had escaped off to. Very cinematic when he stepped out into the street, jacked some civilian on a Suzuki Mirage and tore off after them, one hand on the bars, the other holding his semi-auto shotgun, in his ragged tux, grim determination on his face.

My player enjoyed it. biggrin.gif

Vlad
Blue eyes
When it comes to fashion you gotta love playing a face, you get to be all over the place while doing your job. One day your wearing the latest Zoe or Heritage outfit to fit in with the corp scene or the hottest nightclub, next day your wearing a urban brawl fan outfit to fit in when meeting a contact or doing surveillance at a sports bar and so on.
Nigel
Basically, whatever variation (radical or otherwise) of standard occasion wear I feel like wearing. Face with 6 in fashion - I'm pretty positive I'll be able to wear what I want, where I want without penalties. Of course, this is within reason...so no man-thongs at a white tie ball.
Cantankerous
"Wait, wait, wait. No suits either? Look, I am not running around in maple syrup and a goofy grin." *grumbles and grouses* "Soooo, the idea is to look like a tourist then? Fine. I've got this old Hawaiian shirt and shades for a 'vacation' years back, a pair of troll sized speedoes, some sun glasses with danger reactive lenses that turn fully dark in the face of danger so I can't see it and it can't see me, and flip flops. Add in a old 1980's style camera with the big old long lenses and I'm obviously good to go."

BB
Shrike30
I went out tux shopping a bit ago, and was informed that Seattle isn't really a tux-friendly town (albeit in 2008). I was talked into a black suit, instead, on the theory that it can function in what might be a "tux" environment in this city with little issue, but I'd be overdressed in many formal environments were I to wear a tux.
Muspellsheimr
General Appearance & Everyday Wear

Seraph - 5'4 athletic Caucasian female with blood-red hair (cropped just under shoulder-length). Wears skin-tight, low-cut black pants & bra (both opaque), and combat boots & half-finger hardliner gloves. Occasionally wears an open jacket. Always carries two collapsible batons, and usually a heavily modded Rugar Thunderbolt & Cougar Fineblade. No jewelry to speak of. Occasionally seen with blood-splatter.

Muspelheim - 5'6 Caucasian male (agile build) with lower-back black hair, usually tied. Wears sleeveless black armored vest, black leather (the real deal) pants, & black leather knee-high boots with heavy steel plating. Forearm braces are decorated with arcane symbolism & Futhark runes. Tattoo on right arm of Yggdrasil. Only jewelry is a medallion decorated with a septagram & Futhark runes. Commonly wears a full-length gothic trenchcoat. Always has at least one Cougar Fineblade on his person, & commonly carries around numerous throwing knives & a pair of rattan sticks.

Wolf - 5'7 Caucasian male - think Agent 47 (Hitman) minus the tie.

Nicholas - 5'5 Caucasian male, best described as 'average'

Nightwing - 5'3 Caucasian female, petite build, lower-back black hair. Wears Moonsilver line evening gown & similar (black or dark blue w/ silver or dark purple patterning), soft leather boots, & (occasionally) silk gloves. Wears a medallion depicting Yggdrasil & a silver finger band with arcane markings. No other jewelry. Never carries a weapon.
Cardul
*hmms* no business suit or leathers..means high end stuff if a business suit is not available..

Which means, time to go to the HIGH END stuff. Glitz and glamour. No, not a suit, but not the standard, stuff, either...Any face should ALWAYS have a Tailor or Seamstress as one of their contacts..for when you need that special something custom made.

For female characters, depends on the level of the event and where it is:in seattle, I like the Grecian gown that is so in style among the glitterati RL right now, while in Neotokyo, you can expect some really eleaorate, and ornate kimonos. For men, though, I go with the classic Tux, tie where appropriate. Or, I go looking at a red carpet event RL(oscars, emmies, tonies, etc), and pick something from there that I tink would fit the character. Failing that, I will go look around for stuff from the high fashion shows RL.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Cardul @ Apr 28 2008, 09:19 AM) *
*hmms* no business suit or leathers..means high end stuff if a business suit is not available..

Which means, time to go to the HIGH END stuff. Glitz and glamour. No, not a suit, but not the standard, stuff, either...Any face should ALWAYS have a Tailor or Seamstress as one of their contacts..for when you need that special something custom made.

Once more, i cannot stress the usefulness of having task spirits at your disposal...at Force 6, they should be able to put most designers and tailors to shame.
Fuchs
I don't understand the question... for my group, style is very important, and what to wear comes up as often as what to carry, and all depends on the occasion. At times we use an abstract system to decide how fashionable something is after we describe it, at the high-end. (Ex: High-class party. Player describes a black cocktail dress from a movie. If it's needed to know, then a relevant skill is rolled to see how fashionable it is - the dress stays the same, but it might be more or less fashionable that evening. Yes, that's backwards, but it works.)
Backgammon
On the subject of fashion, in general, the best way to describe fashion in a cyberpunk theme is to name-drop all of your fashion. *Everything* is about brand. As most of us gamers are fucking clueless about fashion (no, cool t-shirts are not "fashion"), I recommend you jot down a small list of today's fashion houses, based on what they make. Write down a few suit makers, jewelry makers (especially watches for men) and the likes, and also some "casual" fashion houses. Then, in-game, when describing your attire, randomly name the makers of your clothes. It doesn't matter much what your suit looks like exactly - just say its a Brooks Brothers suit. It doesn't have to look like what they make today, in 70 years in the future the houses won't have anything to do with what they are now. Brand-name everything. That is the cyberpunk way.
stormcrow
If it's Core, my hermetic follower of Raven, he's Concealed and flying along the ceiling. He's wearing his Urban Explorer Jumpsuit and Helmet with Ruthenium and Thermoptic camo. His collapsible batons are in their speed holsters as is his H&K P2067. His backpack medkit is crammed with the best pharms he can make. I think two team-mates have ever seen his face. Or at least the latex mask he was wearing at the time.

If it's Griz, my face-dancing social adept, it's the clothes of whomever's identity he is "borrowing" at the moment. He's a short elf with high disguise and Kinesics and high Con (Impersonation) and the Voice Control to sound like them, too. He can do fem or masc, as appropriate. Depending on circumstance, he probably has a "dog" with him and the uber-observant might catch a ripple on wall or ceiling as his ruthenium skinned gecko drones reposition.
stevebugge
What a character wears can be as much a statement of who they are as almost anything else. A good face is probably going to go with whatever is appropriate for the setting, but other types may be less sensitive to prevailing fashion sensibilities. I have on character who went so far as to layout the Nuyen to have his own personal line of Heritage clothes made for him. Some of my other characters use vending machine flats regularly, and one who is street level and on the lam hasn't changed his army surplus combat fatigues in a year or so.
vladski
QUOTE (Cantankerous @ Apr 27 2008, 11:19 PM) *
"Wait, wait, wait. No suits either? Look, I am not running around in maple syrup and a goofy grin." *grumbles and grouses* "Soooo, the idea is to look like a tourist then? Fine. I've got this old Hawaiian shirt and shades for a 'vacation' years back, a pair of troll sized speedoes, some sun glasses with danger reactive lenses that turn fully dark in the face of danger so I can't see it and it can't see me, and flip flops. Add in a old 1980's style camera with the big old long lenses and I'm obviously good to go."

BB

Wait, weren't you playing in my Paradise Lost session a few years ago? nyahnyah.gif

Vlad
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 27 2008, 03:01 PM) *

One of my ex's characters was a fashion model by day; one of her favorite pairs of cyber-legs had a rather extremely modified pair of fetish-heels built as the feet, and the entire leg (mid-thigh to toe) was built out of clear acrylic plastics - including the internal gearworks - and filled with a light mineral oil with a matching refractive index. The result was a pair of cyberlegs that looked like they were made out of solid, transparent lead-crystal glass.

My own Magician Adept has the 'Fashion' spell, so he tends to scope out high-fashion gatherings, then tailor his clothing into whatever will "fit in". He's also a legitimate fashion designer, so he supplements a lot of his income that way. (He only does Shadowrunning as a sort of "anti-corporate activist")
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Apr 28 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Once more, i cannot stress the usefulness of having task spirits at your disposal...at Force 6, they should be able to put most designers and tailors to shame.

And indeed, is the Fashion spell most useful.
Cantankerous
QUOTE (vladski @ Apr 28 2008, 11:58 PM) *
Wait, weren't you playing in my Paradise Lost session a few years ago? nyahnyah.gif

Vlad

*lol* Nope, I'm new here, but it sounds like I missed out on something. smile.gif

Isshia
CanRay
*Sighs* I missed out on a lot. frown.gif
nezumi
If a male, white button-down shirt with the first three buttons undone, to allow masculine chest hair to stick out, black or brown leather jacket with tassles hanging from the arms and an appropriate slogan on the back (if the character is a mage or an elf, the slogan is written in sequins), mullet is pulled back into a respectful ponytail, mohawks are also pulled back or combed down, dyed to a more natural color like fire engine red or silver. I'd probably go with a more subdued color for the tights, maybe a mustard yellow or again, silver. If the character wears pants, leather pants. Jeans are out, of course, since we're dressing up. And of course, the best knee-high boots we can find. The belt can be chosen to taste. If the character is a mage, elf or rocker, he can also apply sequins and eyeliner to his face, as appropriate.

For females, select properly large shoulder pads, with a jacket (there's some choice with the jacket, but you can never go wrong with leather). Hair should be up, and should add at least four inches of height, and goes one and a half inches out to the side. Pants should be pretty tight in a light color, hot pink, black and white checkers, etc. There's a choice of shoes, probably something with a slight heel. Pink and green wrist warmers, dangly earings, plenty of make-up. In Seattle weather, a thick sweater, perhaps in pink, egg-white or green, optionally with something printed across the front in sequins.
crash2029
No offense intended Nezumi, but while that look is very "punk" it sounds like something that the 80's vomited during a bender. Again no offense but *shudders*.

John-6'10" ork bodyguard, early fifties, built like brick shithouse, normal wear: lined coat over a dark suit from mens warehouse; formal wear: Executive Suite Tux
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012