Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What edge tests are there?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WeaverMount
I couldn't think of an easy way to look this up so I figured I'd ask, what edge tests are there

-Dodging Suppressive fire
-Nanoware and geneware implantation
-???
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Well, as long as you have edge left then almost any test you want can be an edge test. If you mean ONLY edge, well, the one that comes to mind is when you take a genetic infusion. You have to make an edge test to see what side effects there are.
vladski
I have players roll their Edge when they are doing something that requires a random result of something that's... unquantifiable. I adjust Threshold depending on my feeling of the likelyhood. I may toss in dice mods if it's a group effort.

Example:

The runners jsut narrowly escaped Lonestar by jacking a car. Their plan is completely FUBARed. One of them is wounded.

"Hey, this car I jsut stole, does it by any chance have a emergency medkit in it?"
"Whoever has the highest edge, give me a roll. Threshold 2. There's three of you, add a die for each extra person."

Sludge rolls his Edge of 4+2...gets 3 successes.

"Okay, you found a rating 2 medkit under the passenger seat."

Vlad
WeaverMount
That is interesting. I personally don't think of edge as luck so much as the ability to be exceptional. Some people can just pull it out when they need to, and IMO that's edge; That's a fine line mind you, but only like to use edge for things that the play actually has some kind of control over.

so ah, just restate my question are there any other RAW edge tests?
Leofski
Not losing your mind permanently when your K-10 wears off.

Only other one I can think off...
Screamin Demon
Not when it wears off, you must make the edge roll every time the bearshamanesque berserk clause is enacted.

I also use edge the same way Vladski does, except I make the character thats trying their luck personally roll for is (As the decker in our party has an edge of eight) and I make up thresholds on this very complicated table which is primarily based on how empty my stomach is and whether or not the twins are kissing.

There is also an edge test for spirits when they go free, but that hardly applies to players...
Shiloh
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Apr 29 2008, 09:18 AM) *
That is interesting. I personally don't think of edge as luck so much as the ability to be exceptional. Some people can just pull it out when they need to, and IMO that's edge; That's a fine line mind you, but only like to use edge for things that the play actually has some kind of control over.

I think Edge is a combination of those two things. Some are lucky, others have inner reserves, most have a little of both.
bjorn
QUOTE (vladski @ Apr 28 2008, 05:31 PM) *
I have players roll their Edge when they are doing something that requires a random result of something that's... unquantifiable. I adjust Threshold depending on my feeling of the likelyhood. I may toss in dice mods if it's a group effort.

Example:

The runners jsut narrowly escaped Lonestar by jacking a car. Their plan is completely FUBARed. One of them is wounded.

"Hey, this car I jsut stole, does it by any chance have a emergency medkit in it?"
"Whoever has the highest edge, give me a roll. Threshold 2. There's three of you, add a die for each extra person."

Vlad

I do the exact same thing, especially when my PCs come up with something I have not thought of.
DocTaotsu
QUOTE (vladski @ Apr 28 2008, 06:31 PM) *

Example:

Vlad

That's actually really cool, I think I'm going to start using it in place of my traditional "High/Low" roll. I always describe edge as luck and the rules concerning suppressing fire seem to support that theory.
Phantastik
I'll sometimes call for an Edge test when the *player* does something stupid that the *character* probably would know better than to do.

Example: Runners need to recover a target held captive in a ganger's hideout. The target is tied to a chair in a room, and the gangers are holed up behind furniture between the runners and the wall of said room... and one of the runner opens with a long burst at the gangers.

Not really too smart. I'd probably call for an Edge test from the careless gunner, with a glitch meaning the target was struck by a bullet penetrating the wall, and a critical glitch meaning the target was struck and killed. Success, on the other hand, means the target escaped the hail of bullets penetrating the drywall behind the gangers...

Things like that.

It's fun to use during impromptu chases as well... glitches on an Edge test mean a truck is in the way unloading goods, or there's traffic jammed up behind an accident. Nice chance to make some tough driving rolls! Again, successes, on the other hand, would mean a convenient ramp *just happens to be there* so the driver can line up a jump. And so on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012