Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Genetic Infusions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Well, in Augmentation on page 94 it says that if you get 5 hits on your Edge test then "The infusion integrated perfectly. The character gains the full effects (Emphasis mine)of the infusion as a permanent modification at a cost of 0.4 Essence." In the flavour text on page 93 it says, "The best outcome is that the geneintegrates perfectly in the genome and the character recieves all of the intended benefits of the infusion as a permanent enhancement."

None of this says that you do not gain the downsides of the infusion. Is there an official answer to whether or not a permanent infusion gives you only the benefits or if you get the nasty downsides as well? Considering it costs you essence I am inclined to say it's "con free," but it is not 100% clear. They left that little hint of doubt with this omission.
ArkonC
Considering it costs essence and you need 5 hits, on a DP of max 8 in very rare cases...
I'd say it's drawback free...
CanRay
Pretty much. You lucked out in a huge major way! That deserves a reward that's something more than just a Q-Cola!

Q-Cola, the Feathered Dragon's Choice!
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I agree with both of you...but is there anything OFFICIAL?
WearzManySkins
LOL and who said a character with a skill of Medicine7 ( Genetics) would be a waste. 5 Successes is only 15 dice Medicine 7 (genetics) is 9 dice and then you can have a Logic of 8, then all the logic bonuses ie

Encephalon +1 Dice
PuSHeD +1 Dice
Neural Amplifiers- Neocortical +1 dice

So in total a beginning character could have 20 dice for the side effect test. grinbig.gif

WMS
Abschalten
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 28 2008, 08:11 PM) *
LOL and who said a character with a skill of Medicine7 ( Genetics) would be a waste. 5 Successes is only 15 dice Medicine 7 (genetics) is 9 dice and then you can have a Logic of 8, then all the logic bonuses ie

Encephalon +1 Dice
PuSHeD +1 Dice
Neural Amplifiers- Neocortical +1 dice

So in total a beginning character could have 20 dice for the side effect test. grinbig.gif

WMS

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the test a pure Edge roll? Where is Logic and Medicine coming from?
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Apr 28 2008, 08:34 PM) *
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the test a pure Edge roll? Where is Logic and Medicine coming from?

Oopps I am corrected., but not technically a edge test
Edge + Essence (edge may not be used on this test)

So Edge of 8 Essence of 6 is 14 dice, it is very possible.

WMS
Tarantula
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 28 2008, 07:39 PM) *
Oopps I am corrected., but not technically a edge test
Edge + Essence (edge may not be used on this test)

So Edge of 8 Essence of 6 is 14 dice, it is very possible.

WMS

For the first one.
Screamin Demon
A character of mine with 8 edge claims to have pulled this off. I was busy elsewhere while he made the roll, so I am skeptical of it's authenticity. I am, however, boffing his ex-girlfriend, so I kinda felt obligated to let it fly...
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Heh...Has she made her own Edge+essence test to see if there's any side effects from your own personal brand of genetic inusion? nyahnyah.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Apr 29 2008, 02:45 PM) *
Heh...Has she made her own Edge+essence test to see if there's any side effects from your own personal brand of genetic inusion? nyahnyah.gif

Ooh, talk about permanent negative side effects.
Adarael
The side effect is that it grants her ex +1 dice on con (bullshitting GM) tests.
bjorn
QUOTE (Screamin Demon @ Apr 28 2008, 08:55 PM) *
I am, however, boffing his ex-girlfriend, so I kinda felt obligated to let it fly...

You sir almost made me need a laptop via Hi-C exploding out of my mouth.
Screamin Demon
QUOTE (bjorn @ Apr 29 2008, 11:34 PM) *
You sir almost made me need a laptop via Hi-C exploding out of my mouth.

My bad. twirl.gif

She doesn't play in the game as she is part of the... larp crowd ...that runs on alternate fridays.
Don't dis goth chicks, the ones who take care of their skin and keep themselves pale really do it for me.

QUOTE (Adarael @ Apr 29 2008, 08:28 PM) *
The side effect is that it grants her ex +1 dice on con (bullshitting GM) tests.

Dude, favoring the girl you are boffing (past chargen that is) is lame as all hell. I personally hate GM's with girlfriends who don't know the system or even the setting! They just game because they want to sink their witch-hooks that much deeper into the lives of their beaux, I would never subject my players to such annoyances. Besides, girls like assholes way more then mushy givers who douse them in favor and affection. Make em work for it! I keep my niceness and sensitivity to dates and private times pre and post coitus. Positive behavior reinforcement, keeps em coming back. rotate.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Screamin Demon @ Apr 30 2008, 04:31 PM) *
Dude, favoring the girl you are boffing (past chargen that is) is lame as all hell.

To be fair, he isn't actually favoring the chick (at least in that example). He is favoring the chick's ex. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012