Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some questions on Ritual Spellcasting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HentaiZonga
First question: Links go both ways, right? I mean, if a piece of my DNA is a ritual link to me, than I can serve as a ritual link to that same piece of DNA, right? And have my buddies gather 'round in a circle, spend a few hours, and throw a Sterilize (or heck, a Fireball) spell on whatever they're using as the link, using me as their link, right?

Second question: If an Initiate is using the Great Ritual metamagic, does the ritual team even need a lodge? It seems like an Initiate using Great Ritual almost acts like a 'Porta-Lodge' with a Force equal to his Magic rating (of course, he doesn't act as an astral barrier.)

Second question, subset A: If an Initiate is using the Great Ritual metamagic, can the group now include members who don't have the Ritual Spellcasting skill? Since the maximum size will equal the lowest skill level (0) plus the Great Ritual Initiate's Magic...

Second question, subset A-1: At that point, can this be used to include people who would normally have no business being in a ritual? I can almost see an IC rationalization for this - use several Initiates with Great Ritual to 'cast the circle', adding their Magic together to determine the maximum Force of the spell and the number of people who can participate. Then let everyone roll Magic + Ritual Spellcasting (or Edge if they're mundane), throw all the hits together, and release the spell - then everyone (even the mundanes) resists Drain, using Willpower + (Drain Attribute) or just Willpower if they're mundane.

So you get a few mundanes meandering about inside the circle, holding hands and singing, saying 'Oh I feel the power! Isn't this just wizz? Man, I'm so happy to be connecting with the Mother Nature Earth Spirit! I can feel the power, man! This is so *crunch* OH GOD MY HEAD MY EYES ARE BLEEDING OH MY GOD MY GOD OH WHY DID I DO THIS?!?"

... good times.
Shiloh
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ May 1 2008, 08:58 AM) *
So you get a few mundanes meandering about inside the circle, holding hands and singing, saying 'Oh I feel the power! Isn't this just wizz? Man, I'm so happy to be connecting with the Mother Nature Earth Spirit! I can feel the power, man! This is so *crunch* OH GOD MY HEAD MY EYES ARE BLEEDING OH MY GOD MY GOD OH WHY DID I DO THIS?!?"

... good times.

[stores nasty idea away for future use]

Prolly need to add the Sacrifice metamagic and a Karma-sucking ones...
Tarantula
I don't think you would work as a link to your dna. Spells (generally) are made to affect people/things with auras. If they cast a ritual sterilize on you, I think it would center on you, not your hunk of skin you left behind.
Da9iel
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't material links consumed during the ritual casting? I don't think you want to be the material link to your tissue for a sterilize spell.
Jaid
also, only those who have the appropriate awakened qualities can use magical skills. this includes ritual spellcasting, which they have a rating of unaware in anyways and which can't be defaulted on iirc, so it's a moot point.

now of course, if the GM decides he's going to include mundanes into a ritual spellcasting as a plot device, that's fine, but if you're trying to claim this is a legitimate loophole that allows mundanes into ritual spellcasting, then that is not the case. you would, as written, need something more than just the great ritual metamagic to involve mundanes in ritual spellcasting. (interestingly enough, however, it was possible to learn the spellcasting skill as a mundane in ED times... and even to use matrices, provided you had been provided a matrix object by a proper magician).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012