Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical Cyberwear?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
last_of_the_great_mikeys
The thought popped into my head while I was in the shower that it might be fun to have a mage with a set of alpha move by wire rating 1 made into a rating 2 power focus and installed into him, as well as an alpha retractable cyberspur made into a rating 2 weapon focus and also installed. (Assume he got rich taking down blood and toxic mages for the Draco Institute, won the lottery or whatever) Yeah, he'd lose 2 points of magic, but he'd have the power focus to make up for it, plus some nifty reaction and initiative pass enhancement, skillwires rating 2, a dodge bonus and cyberspurs with which to shiv any spirit that wanders by.

Would you and could you? I mean official rules here, not, "Not in my game" answers. "Not in my game" is for the weak!
Stahlseele
technically possible, even rules-wise possible, but not a good idea realistically . .
i probably would, but then i like my chars to be combat monkeys and i am regarded as something of a powergamer . .
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I always liked you, Stahlseele. cool.gif
paws2sky
There are some canon precedents for implant weapon foci, like spurs and razors, but I've never heard of anyone trying to implant any other kind of focus. O.o

You could always stash a small focus in a skin pocket though...
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Paws2sky, you are WEAK! Skin pocket! Blaaah! Go big or go home! biggrin.gif

So, is it safe to say you would not do this?
Drogos
I don't think there is anything coming out in the current game that would make this legal. So it enters very firmly into houserule territory. If you were to come to me, first I'd probably disallow it for any normal campaign, but for a twinked out hack fest I'd likely ramp up the availability and cost to reflect the fact that you need to have it made by a Cyberware designer with the ability to use Orichalum and enchant it as a focus. I have a lot less of a problem withthe weapon focus than the power focus implant, partially because I seem to recall the weapon focus example paws provides as well (though no idea when it was). This is a good way to bring back the Novatech Cybermancers though biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
it'S pretty easy . . you just have to enchant the thing(highly processed) bind it to you, THEN have it implanted . .
and of course, those don't come like that, you will actually have to modify the cyberware depending on the focus-formula . .
so you need high technical skills to craft those things and then you need the connections to help you get ware you made yourself implanted etc. .
you could make a whole campaign of runs to get those things *g*
nezumi
I would rule it would be impossible to enchant something like wired reflexes because a large part of wire reflexes are the wires implanted by nanomachines during the surgery (and that therefore don't touch human hands, hopefully). You don't want to enchant the processor because the TN for such would start at around 8 or 10.

Seriously, why not just enchant a magical pebble and implant it on your forehead? It would have the same affect for much less cost, and you don't have to worry about some street doc breaking the thing when he's giving your cyber its regular maintenance.
paws2sky
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 1 2008, 09:17 AM) *
Paws2sky, you are WEAK! Skin pocket! Blaaah! Go big or go home! biggrin.gif
So, is it safe to say you would not do this?

I've never really considered it, honestly. I always thought the weapon focus spur was kind of dodge-y, but whatever. I suppose its (meta)physically possible to enchant other types of cyber, but I'd hate to be the one doing it or paying the bill.

BTW, I'm not weak. I'm full of fail. Get it right! wink.gif
Stahlseele
the skin poket or body compartment is better actually . . because it makes the foci inside your body EXCHANGEABLE *g*
imagine walking with your enchanted WR1 Power-Focus2 into a Background-count of 4 . . . sucks doesn't it?
nezumi
As an aside, I WOULD allow you to make a weapon focus spur, since presumably the blade is a separate piece. However, you would not be able to dikote it afterwards (since it would no longer be in contact with your body). It would also be expensive and difficult again.

This is also why I want to bring grounding back. Imagine having a focus implanted inside your brainpan when someone grounds a fireball through that sucker.
Stahlseele
have it dikoted BEFORE enchanting/implanting . . same as before . .
Ancient History
Now the real fun one is manatech-based-cyberware. We didn't have room in Augmentation for any but the glow symbiont, but maybe in a future book.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 1 2008, 09:01 AM) *
Now the real fun one is manatech-based-cyberware. We didn't have room in Augmentation for any but the glow symbiont, but maybe in a future book.

It seems like manatech-based biotech would be more useful.

Although, combinations might be hilarious. For example, do you suppose a mixture of something like FAB, polarized fiber-optic channels, and the right UV diodes, implanted as a culture into an artificial retina, might allow for the creation of limited and hazy Astral Perception as a cyber-eyes modification? (As the Mage's head asplode)
CanRay
Damnit, AH! You tease!!!

*WANT*
Stahlseele
i still say we want a book with all the things that have been left out
Drogos
Stahl, you keep saying book. I vote free web releases. Because they are really useless without the book anyways and it's just another preview of what kind of stuff is covered in the book, thus a marketing tool biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
i say book as in PDF, but i would buy a hardcover too *g*
CanRay
Hey, I've been a marketing tool a few times on the forum. nyahnyah.gif

Well... OK, just a tool, but still...
Tarantula
What happens when an astrally projecting mage grabs that astrally active wired reflexes focus and goes up with it?
CircuitBoyBlue
No no no. All of this is weak. What you do is, you take a possession-based tradition, then prepare the move-by-wire as a vessel before having it installed. Then, when it's possessed, you add the force of the spirit to the rating of the MBW, move so fast you travel back in time, and kill Sarah Conner so your enemies can't catch up to you. Geez, it's like you people WANT to get shot.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ May 1 2008, 09:43 AM) *
No no no. All of this is weak. What you do is, you take a possession-based tradition, then prepare the move-by-wire as a vessel before having it installed. Then, when it's possessed, you add the force of the spirit to the rating of the MBW, move so fast you travel back in time, and kill Sarah Conner so your enemies can't catch up to you. Geez, it's like you people WANT to get shot.

Don't forget to dikote it.
CircuitBoyBlue
You're right; my bad. But the sex was implied, I think.

Also, collect phat lootz.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 1 2008, 04:15 PM) *
I always liked you, Stahlseele. cool.gif

must have overread that x.x . .
WHY ? @.@ . . .
Sombranox
I once knew a guy who had a mage with a cyberarm laced with orichalcum that was a force 6 power focus he created himself and it had a rating six weapon focus spur in it as well.

With a good arcana and enchanting skill, it's really not hard to enchant a piece of cyber. Only a -4 dice for mundane telesma, which can be erased by four x force of different reagents or two units of orichalcum.

The MBW is a little iffy. Like someone said, it consists of the wires going all through the body, not just the core unit, but I'd still probably allow it for someone who wanted to blow the time and money on something like this, but it's kind of a waste.

Chibu
The only complication i can see is that it might be possible to screw up the focus while putting it in. So, I'd personally recommend the doc be magically active to make sure he's doing it right. But otherwise? No problem other than (is this still even in the rules?) you could be addicted to it pretty quickly. Also, it's my opinion that a power focus has a larger astral sig than other types of foci. So, you'll be a shiny fella.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 1 2008, 09:01 AM) *

You bloody tease!
Ancient History
Mikey! Almost didn't recognize you!
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 1 2008, 09:47 AM) *
must have overread that x.x . .
WHY ? @.@ . . .

Because you said, and I qhote, "i probably would, but then i like my chars to be combat monkeys and i am regarded as something of a powergamer . ."

We're kindred spirits (and I ain't talkin' astral vampires)!

last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 1 2008, 07:36 PM) *
Mikey! Almost didn't recognize you!

Heh. How could you not recognize the Sharp Dressed Ork?

*Chair-shots A.H.*
Ancient History
Because your nom du net is so long half of it is cut off. nyahnyah.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Always an excuse with you, isn't there? I'm surprised ya haven't got a file on me with shorthand that would make the first part of my name instantaneously recognizable to you.
Stahlseele
heh, somebody has to do it . . and somebody else is bound to fuck up so i don't have to care about beaing stealthy anymore ^^#
ok, i can live with that reason, it just sounded kinda strange to me, because not many people say that after such a statement *g*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012