Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A matter of a pain editor and narco jet...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pendaric
Well this bioware and this drug both work off the stun condition track but the intent of the drug and the intent of the implant are in juxaposition to the RAW. So being immune to pain makes you immune to drugs? Thats a different piece of bioware surely.
In fact this implant makes you more likely to fall over thanks to the knock out drops. Kind of at least.
Another paradox for discussion. spin.gif
Stahlseele
you know . . i never really thought of that . . i did not even realize that one until now O.o
probably because none of my chars ever had access to pain editors and were nevr target of toxin but delivering the toxins themselves . .
Cantankerous
We've always used the old common sense rule of thumb. If it hurts verisimilitude, we didn't do it. With us the Pain Editor handles the shock/pain of being injured, up to it's capacity, but the Narcoject doesn't cause pain, while the standard Narcoject round does the opposite by relaxing the muscles to a deleterious extent, so the PE does nothing against a standard muscle relaxant but would work just skippy against something like Fugu toxin, which causes tremendously painful muscle cramping... if it doesn't kill you outright, which, even in an RP, is the less desirable option. wink.gif

Isshia
Stahlseele
didn't fugu cause physical damage and would be thus excempt from being affected by the pain editor?
Larme
The pain editor has to do more than make you immune to pain. The reason you go unconscious when someone whaps you on the head with a blackjack is not because of how much it hurts, but if the pain editor didn't keep you conscious after being blackjacked, then it wouldn't really do anything except resist pure pain like bamboo under the fingernails. And I don't think anyone is arguing that it's limited in that way. The pain editor must not only cut you off from sensations of pain, but keep your brain from succumbing to nonlethal damage of any sort. If it has that kind of 'keep-awake' function as it basically has to, then it would make you immune to narcoject.

That's all just fluff though. Per RAW, no matter whether you agree with my made-up-on-the-spot fluff, pain editors make you immune to stun. I just invite those who houserule it for "realism" to consider the above. If you don't let drugs work, why does a pain editor keep you conscious from a bump on the head, even though pain is not what knocks you out? That's the slippery slope of realism for you. Just because you don't understand how technology works, or just because the fluff description of it is misleading is not a great reason to house rule, because you'll just end up with more inconsistencies. The technology is imaginary. The word "pain editor" isn't a rule. Making you immune to stun damage is a rule. Letting the name of the 'ware take precedence over its usefulness and versatility only leads to more confusion, and perhaps an irritated GM throwing the ware out of the game because no matter how much he thinks about it, he can't understand how a "pain editor" can also save you from being blackjacked. I encourage people to ignore the words "pain editor" and focus on what the ware does. It has the same effect no matter what you call it. Letting its name determine its effects is like letting the tail wag the dog.
Snow_Fox
Right. The drug will still work on your biochemestry. The idea of the pain editor is that it lets you ignore the pain of the damage-you can do your job and not be distracted by the sharp pain in your side by the wound you just got-other wise you might be distracted in aim-but you're still wounded.

The editor's problem is that you don't know you're hurt until you max out. You think you're ok because you've edited out the pain and didn't even feel that hit from behind. Then suddenly you drop. With a pain editor you should probably develop a self check like leppers do, to look for damage.
Zak
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ May 4 2008, 11:22 AM) *
Right. The drug will still work on your biochemestry. The idea of the pain editor is that it lets you ignore the pain of the damage-you can do your job and not be distracted by the sharp pain in your side by the wound you just got-other wise you might be distracted in aim-but you're still wounded.

The editor's problem is that you don't know you're hurt until you max out. You think you're ok because you've edited out the pain and didn't even feel that hit from behind. Then suddenly you drop. With a pain editor you should probably develop a self check like leppers do, to look for damage.

Or just get a Biomonitor?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012