Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Otomo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mordinvan
Since they have living skin covering them, can you install skin based bio/cyberware in them? Ie orthoskin and the like?
Larme
Nope. Bio requires real skin, not fake skin. Which is why you can't put bioware in a cyberarm. Jarheads are powerful enough with vehicle mods, don't give them cyberware on top of it!
krakjen
And if you want to upgrade the Otomo body (or any other cyborg body), you can use the modifications rules for vehicles.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
But you can summon an ally spirit and have it use the inhabitation power to become your very own otomo drone. smile.gif It would have Body and Strength scores of 6+ Force. Make sure you invest in vehicle skills because the agility is Vehicle Skill +2 + Force. Reaction is the integral commlink's Response rating + Force. It would use it's Sensor 3 OR it's intuition (equal to it's force) for perception tests Then there's the fact that the spirit is always in hot sim VR and always has 4 initiative passes. I love this idea and I suggest you use Evo's Consort model of drone, as opposed to Mitsuhama's Otomo.

Finally, an ally spirit which, officially, by the rules you CAN both dikote AND have sex with! biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
well, aside from there being no dikote anymore in SR4 of course . .
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Dikote: Spend 5000 nuyen and your dikoted thingee gets to be all shiny all the time...no more annoying polishing. smile.gif It is now official.
Stahlseele
and here i thought for the bling one would use the pimped out ride *g*
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Pimped Out Ride would be used if the ally spirit were used as a protitute and would GAIN you nuyen, not cost it.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
You know, it would be interesting for a magician to summon an ally spirit to Inhabit an otomo drone, then got through the Jarhead process and get installed into his own ally spirit. Heaven help that mage if the ally ever went free though.
Stahlseele
do it yourself cybermancy? O.o
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Well, he could merely command the ally to give him control of the body, when he "sleeps" the ally guards it and can use it, he'd gain that neat Immunity to Normal Weapons thing...He'd have to be an initiate, of course, or he'd not be able to have an ally or even have a magic rating, being at .1 essence and all. Oh, and he could have the jar containing his brain made into a focus! Ooohh! Neat! That could ofset some of his lost magic and he could just de-activate it when he wasn't using it. Making the jar magical would also protect his brain more. With the skillwires added in...IT'S A ONE "MAN" SHADOWRUNNING TEAM! I could win shadowrun... nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
that's the main problem with mages, given enough ressources(karma/Newyen) they don't need anybody else . .
mages can more or less start out as one man runner teams, if they have spirits for certain occassions . .
last_of_the_great_mikeys
That's not really a problem. After all, everybody needs help. Nobody can be good at everything. As PC's mages are limited by their starting build points. Then they need GOBS of karma to advance all their stuff. This is why most are somewhat specialized. Still, it'd be kewl to be a mage-borg.
Jaid
actually, when you become a cyborg you lose all magic and/or resonance, not just 6 points.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Jaid @ May 5 2008, 02:00 PM) *
actually, when you become a cyborg you lose all magic and/or resonance, not just 6 points.

Jaid, you are incorrect, I fear. If an initiate with a Magic score of 7 had his essence reduced to .1, his magic would be reduced to a Magic score of 1. I have seen no rule that says otherwise. If there is, please quote the book, page number and paragraph for me, 'cause I'm that damned lazy.
Mordinvan
Couldn't you just take a few points of Geases to counteract the magic loss? The biggest problem would be the complete lack of LOS as you didn't pay for the optics of the cyborg with essence, and as such they don't work for LOS.
Fortune
Magic loss due to implantation cannot be Geased away in SR4.
Larme
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 5 2008, 05:08 PM) *
Jaid, you are incorrect, I fear. If an initiate with a Magic score of 7 had his essence reduced to .1, his magic would be reduced to a Magic score of 1. I have seen no rule that says otherwise. If there is, please quote the book, page number and paragraph for me, 'cause I'm that damned lazy.

Augmentation page 163, lazy nyahnyah.gif "Any character who undergoes this procedure automatically has his Resonance or Magic attribute reduced to zero."
Jaid
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 5 2008, 04:08 PM) *

sure thing.

QUOTE (Augmentation page 163 @ "Cranial Containment Unit" (3rd Paragraph))
Removing the brain from its original body and implanting it into a CCU completely and permanently disrupts the individual’s magical or technomantic abilities. Any character who undergoes this procedure automatically has his Resonance or Magic attribute reduced to zero.

specific enough for you?

[edit] eep, ninja'd! [/edit]
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Thanks, Jaid! Can you go get me snacks from the store, too? biggrin.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 5 2008, 07:30 PM) *
Thanks, Jaid! Can you go get me snacks from the store, too? biggrin.gif

hmmm... might be a while... i'm not really *on* the east coast, but i'm not all that far from it, either wink.gif

but hey, what's a couple thousand clicks between casual acquaintances over the internet? i'll be sure to try and remember next time i have a couple of weeks off work wink.gif

(if it makes you feel any better, it is actually possible to have a cyberzombie magician, but not a cyberzombie technomancer... that came up in a recent thread, and may have been what you were thinking of when you said you were pretty sure it was allowed...)
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Cyborgs rule, cyberzombies drool! Don't get your cyberzombie in my cyborg!

I'm still waiting for those snacks!
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 5 2008, 03:31 PM) *
Magic loss due to implantation cannot be Geased away in SR4.

Is there a rule saying it can't or just no longer one saying it can?
Fortune
Street Magic delineates all the various methods and reasons for acquiring and using Geasa. Geasing implants is not listed among these (as it was in SR3).
Malicant
Or geasing any other Essence loss for that matter.

You basically only get Geas if you can't grasp the concept of using magic by will alone, as an initiatory ordeal, or if you use the crisis of faith optional rules for acquiring Geasa during play.
Magus
Or as an adept you can take geasa to lower the PP cost of adept powers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012