Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laser Rapier
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JudgementLoaf
Another new toy for players to enjoy.

Laser Rapier:

The name laser rapier is a bit of a misnomer for this ultrahot new piece of street gear, as it more resembles a combat baton in shape and size than an actual sword. Based around the light bending effects of the ruthieum polymers commonly employed in advertising and stealth technology, the actual blade of the rapier is made of an reflective yet flexible set of plastics that is set to change in color and opacity when placed under pressure. The hilt of the blade contains the power pack and emitter for the device, which focuses a tight cutting beam in such a way that it is internally reflected through out the interior of the blade. Thus, when the rapier is struck against an opponent, the blade itself flexes causing the laser beam to be emitted at the point of the bend. This allows the blades discharge to be easily controlled with practice, and with practice, to be truly lethal even against heavily armored foes. The only unfortunate drawback of the laser rapier is the rate at which it goes through power cells, combined with the fact the weapon is nearly useless without power. Each cell contains 10 charges, and it requires a simple action to swap out power cells.

Stats:

Damage = (Str/2) + 2 P
AP = -1/2 impact (round up)

If used without a power cell....

Damage = (Str/2) P

AP = None

Reach = 1

Availability = 10F

Cost = 1,200 nuyen.gif

There you go. As always, comments are welcome.

Earlydawn
System Shock fan? biggrin.gif
de4dmeta1
QUOTE (Earlydawn @ May 6 2008, 08:04 PM) *
System Shock fan? biggrin.gif

Must've cost you a couple good favours to have a team extract that thought from my head.

Personally, I would see a good market for an alternate version of this that's part stun baton as well. Say, have the buisiness end of the weapon reinforced by two parallel myomeric structures that can switch between flexible and solid, allowing for either your laser damage, or a solid platform for delivering an electric shock.

Naturally, the facing/orientation of those parallel myomerics would take a fair bit of experience to properly control - I'd say this weapon would require an Exotic Weapons skill for it's proper use in laser-mode. One last bit - for a nominal fee, perhaps have it be able to accept connections from peak-discharge battery packs, like other established laser/gauss weapons already in use. Should help offset the troll-sized power consumption, at the cost of concealability of course.
Wounded Ronin
We need SHODAN.
Fix-it
no we don't. never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
krakjen
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 7 2008, 06:08 AM) *
We need SHODAN.

We already have, did you missed the whole renraku archology shutdown ?

No, what we need now is the sarcastic cake-promising GlaDOS
JudgementLoaf
Yes. Major System shock fan.

And yes, this critter should require a exotic weapon prof. to use.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (krakjen @ May 6 2008, 11:18 PM) *
We already have, did you missed the whole renraku archology shutdown ?

No, what we need now is the sarcastic cake-promising GlaDOS

But Deus didn't have SHODAN's voice.

Hey, perhaps I should hire a dominatrix to repeatedly tase me while speaking in a SHODAN voice. twirl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012