Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real life proof of physads: Improved Reflexes 3 in action!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6_mwdujhEk

Today I have encountered video proof that even in today's world there are those we'd call physads, who have Improved Reflexes 3 and Unarmed Combat 6 (12).
Crusher Bob
At least it wasn't that horrible Indian movie shouting thing you came up with last time.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ May 7 2008, 02:38 AM) *
At least it wasn't that horrible Indian movie shouting thing you came up with last time.

Well, that was Edged Weapons 6 (12). This is Unarmed Combat.
Tarantula
Go watch a boxer hit a speed bag, they probably even hit it faster and harder than this guy.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tarantula @ May 7 2008, 04:20 PM) *
Go watch a boxer hit a speed bag, they probably even hit it faster and harder than this guy.

Nonsense! Asian subtext > western subtext. This is a lesson we all learned in the 80s, and which was proven by Shadowrun by giving the katana a higher Power code than a "sword". The +3 is for asiaticness.

EDIT: What part of the tags "world invincible iron first" did you not understand?

No boxer can punch with THIS devastating speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qdhGDjbtik...feature=related
Shiloh
QUOTE (Tarantula @ May 7 2008, 10:20 PM) *

Word.
hobgoblin
the big thing about wired reflexes isnt speed of movement, but speed of "computation". as in, how fast things go from thought to action...
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 7 2008, 11:51 PM) *
the big thing about wired reflexes isnt speed of movement, but speed of "computation". as in, how fast things go from thought to action...

That's how it SHOULD be. But that's not ever been how the mechanics of SR handle Wired Reflexes and its ilk. Cyberpunk did a better job of depicting wired reflexes, at least in my opinion.

hobgoblin
and how so? if movement speed was faster then it should affect ones running speed, no? but it does not.

what we have is the ability to do this cycle faster then a non-wired person:

1. target spotted!
2. round fired at target
3. check if target has dropped or not
4. if target down, look for new target/threat. if not, fire more rounds at target.
Seraph Kast
Yeah, I mean, technically anyone can fire multiple rounds in a second from a handgun. Someone with Wired Reflexes though is going to be capable of reacting to the recoil and checking his target, whereas a normal person...not so much, typically.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Seraph Kast @ May 8 2008, 03:14 PM) *
Yeah, I mean, technically anyone can fire multiple rounds in a second from a handgun. Someone with Wired Reflexes though is going to be capable of reacting to the recoil and checking his target, whereas a normal person...not so much, typically.

Only if Wired Reflexes = Bullet Time. Sadly, according to all edition of SR, it does not.

Wounded Ronin
If I were an intelligent and awesome person, I'd make a Deus Ex Shadowrun mod, and Wired Reflexes would give you bullet time.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ May 8 2008, 10:29 PM) *
Only if Wired Reflexes = Bullet Time. Sadly, according to all edition of SR, it does not.

err?
Dr Funfrock
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ May 8 2008, 03:29 PM) *

If we mean Max Payne style bullet time, then yes, it really does. That's probably the best analogy out there for wired actually.
Wounded Ronin
Whatever the text in the rulebook says, in terms of what it lets your character actually do in game, it's very much like Max Payne bullet time.
Bashfull
He'll need that strike speed to fight off the ninjas sent to take care of him for revealin his identity, Ronin. Fortunately, he looks like he can take care of himself. His intensity in that second clip makes it obvious: he knows he's hot!
Rad
Gah, what a disappointment.

First off, he wasn't that fast. Secondly, there's a difference between moving your arms rapidly and actually throwing an effective punch--you can go a lot faster when you don't worry about putting any force behind it.

Now, in case anyone actually takes this seriously, here's a few things to watch for in that video:

1: He doesn't extend his arms. To throw a damaging punch, you have to fully extend your arm as though "striking through" the target, otherwise your elbow and shoulder joints will bend or rotate, absorbing the force of the impact instead of delivering it to your opponent. This is the same reason you're supposed to bend your knees when landing after a jump. What this guy is doing is slightly more than slapping the fridge with his knuckles.

2: BUT! He actually rocks the fridge back with his punches!? Yeah, but look closely: He aims high up, to get better leverage, and it doesn't really start leaning back until halfway through the sequence. What he's actually doing is rocking the fridge back a little bit, then using it's momentum to push it back farther, like pushing a kid on a swing.

Try this: Walk up to your refrigerator, and jab the freezer compartment door with two fingers. Not hard, just give it a little push, and keep your elbow bent so you don't jam your arm. Chances are you'll get it to rock a little bit without trying too hard. Now try jabbing it repeatedly, timing it so you hit the fridge as it starts to rock away from you...

...the pattern is: >Jab< [fridge rocks away, rocks back toward you] >Jab as fridge starts to rock away again<, repeat...

...I'm by no means in good shape right now, and my fridge is pretty full, but I can get a lot of movement jabbing it with just two fingers from one hand like that. This guy used both fists, (more surface area = better for pushing & two hands = can push more rapidly) and he started leaning his body into it once it got going. For all we know his fridge was empty, or even on some type of a platform that allowed it to rock better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some kind of martial arts master, and I'm not that strong (I'd probably be a Strength 2 in SR right now) but I know enough to recognize BS when I see it. Now, the fact that he could slap his knuckles against a freezer door over and over like that, and the fact that he timed his strikes so well with the rocking of the fridge is pretty impressive--but but the speed, strength, and combat-applicable skill of those strikes was not.

In short, neat trick, but it won't help you much in a fight.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Rad @ May 10 2008, 07:47 PM) *

I take it you don't notice Killing Hands (D) when you see it.
Rad
That's not killing hands. Killing hands would have dented the fridge at least...

...well, judging by the guy's arms, maybe not--I don't think he has enough strength to bypass it's armor rating...

...Mystic Armor or Pain Resistance maybe. rotfl.gif
Bashfull
Ronin,

It takes special characteristics you and I share, like patience, inner peace and innate awesomeness, to recognise the uberness of this master. What's all this nonsense about bent elbows and timing? The man is clearly awesome! Six punches a second! I'm off to the shrine in my basement to thank my ancestors that I've never met him in a dark alley, then calling Sensei Kevin to teach me that stuff.

( rotfl.gif )
Larme
QUOTE (Rad @ May 10 2008, 08:47 PM) *
1: He doesn't extend his arms. To throw a damaging punch, you have to fully extend your arm as though "striking through" the target, otherwise your elbow and shoulder joints will bend or rotate, absorbing the force of the impact instead of delivering it to your opponent. This is the same reason you're supposed to bend your knees when landing after a jump. What this guy is doing is slightly more than slapping the fridge with his knuckles.

I can has one inch punch? >.>

In all seriousness, there are martial arts that focus on short powerful jabs in rapid succession. I saw a demo of a type of kung fu where the opponents engage each other at less than arm's length. A master put on a blindfold and blew right through his student's defenses, punching him so hard that the guy barfed, and he never had to extend his arms...

If it sucks so bad, I challenge to to take that fridge's place nyahnyah.gif But at least nobody on this board is echoing the youtube comments like "HURR TEH FAGZOTZ!" I'm glad to see that the mental retardation virus, while it can be transmitted from the internet to organic life by extended youtube viewing, is not contagious to other internet sites wink.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Larme @ May 11 2008, 07:36 AM) *
In all seriousness, there are martial arts that focus on short powerful jabs in rapid succession. I saw a demo of a type of kung fu where the opponents engage each other at less than arm's length. A master put on a blindfold and blew right through his student's defenses, punching him so hard that the guy barfed, and he never had to extend his arms...

That is probably t3h chun.
Wounded Ronin
Here you can see a physad with Body 8 move so quickly with Improved Reflexes that his befuddled demo partner has no choice but to cause bullet time by moving really slowly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQouLgY79A
Bashfull
I'm always amazed they manage to capture footage like this on film (a) because it must be very hard to track down these secret ninja training camps and (b) because the participants must have been willing to slow down so much in order to me seen (Sensei Eddie is faster than the speed of sight normally - especially with a pie).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012