Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aspected Magician negative quality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
paws2sky
Ok, putting aside the debate of whether or not the Aspected Magician negative quality is well thought out or makes any sense at all when compared to Incompetent, I have a few questions.

Conjuror Aspect (5 BP): The magician is aspected towards spirits. The magician uses the Conjuring skill group and its component skills, but he receives a –4 dice pool modifier to Sorcery, Assensing, Astral Combat, and Enchanting (and to Arcana for anything but ally design).

It says the Conjuror gets -4 dice pool on Sorcery, which sounds like they mean the whole group, but... Does that include counterspelling? (I'm assuming it does, but rather end up an ass, I thought it better to ask.)

Also, the entry lists sorcerer, conjuror, etc. as "examples of apsected magicians," which leaves it open to the GM to devise new Aspects. Here's one I was considering:
Unmaker Aspect (10 BP): The magician is aspected toward disrupting and undoing magic. The magician uses the Astral Combat, Banishing, and Counterspelling, but he receives a –4 dice pool modifier to other uses of Conjuring and Sorcery, as well as all uses of Arcana, Assensing, and Enchanting.

I had considered leaving out Astral Combat, but it seemed too lacking without it. I suppose it could be dropped... Any thoughts on this?

Also, has anyone come up with any other aspects?
Larme
I don't see any way around including Counterspelling in "Sorcery," since it's part of the Sorcery skill group.

As for your idea, I see it as just a way for mystic adepts to twink out. The smartest thing for a mystic adept to do is usually load up on physical powers and anti-magic, so they end up as an adept only immune to spells and with good defenses against spirits. What your quality does is give them the Mystic Adept quality for -5 points with penalties to stuff they couldn't afford to do anyway points-wise.
Kingboy
QUOTE (Larme @ May 7 2008, 11:45 AM) *
As for your idea, I see it as just a way for mystic adepts to twink out.

Could be, but probably not much munchier than the Spell Category(Manipulation) Aspected Mystic Adept (effectively making an Awakened character for 0 BP, only using up a portion of the 35 points available for Qualities) that I am interested in running as a magical Face/Social Engineering expert in a game paws will be running. At least, he hasn't told me I can't do it yet... grinbig.gif
paws2sky
As for your idea, I see it as just a way for mystic adepts to twink out. The smartest thing for a mystic adept to do is usually load up on physical powers and anti-magic, so they end up as an adept only immune to spells and with good defenses against spirits.

I agree with your assessment that Mystic Adepts can easily gravitate toward a niche (granted, a very useful niche) like counter-magic. However, I think that's just the nature of Mystic Adept, you need to specialize in something or you dilute your abilities (and Dice Pools) too much.

Even so, for +5 BP one could have a mystic adept sorcerer with scads of Counterspelling and Manabolt. That's probably more effective in most cases since he'd have a way to attack people too. Oh, and let's not forget the option to buy other spells!

Or you could take Mystic Adept and Incompetence (Ritual Sorcery, Spellcasting, Summoning, and Binding) for a net -10 BP. Erm... I guess I'm straying into the realm of why Aspected is not very well thought out... *shrug*

What your quality does is give them the Mystic Adept quality for -5 points with penalties to stuff they couldn't afford to do anyway points-wise.

How do you figure its -5 BP?
Mystic Adept is 10 BP and this Aspect is -10 BP.
Have I forgotten or missed something?

-paws
Larme
Uh my invisible calculator is on the fritz apparently >.>
paws2sky
QUOTE (Larme @ May 7 2008, 12:31 PM) *
Uh my invisible calculator is on the fritz apparently >.>

It happens. I appreciate your input. Your RAW-fu is mighty smile.gif

-paws
FrankTrollman
It would still be asstastic of course. Getting a -4 penalty to Assensing is crippling.

-Frank
Muspellsheimr
Arcana does not belong in the penalties, because it is not technically a magical skill. Assensing is bad - I would never take that with a character who can perceive.
paws2sky
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ May 7 2008, 02:38 PM) *
Arcana does not belong in the penalties, because it is not technically a magical skill. Assensing is bad - I would never take that with a character who can perceive.

I included Arcana because it is mentioned in several of the sample Aspects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012