Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Fantasy Tactics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Hocus Pocus
I've gone back and forth on some games due to my binge, but I've settled, i think finally, on replaying tactics. I forgot how great a game this one was, and my old memory card had the save of 10 years ago. Great story and intrigue, lots of characters and gameplay. just all round great game.

"blazing bolts of electrict!
"heavn's wish to destroy all minds
master of all swords, cut energy!
kupo! round and round you go moogle
Platinum
I've been playing Syndicate. Nothing better than hitting enemy agents with a persuadatron and a gauss gun.
mrslamm0
QUOTE (Platinum @ May 8 2008, 08:36 PM) *
I've been playing Syndicate. Nothing better than hitting enemy agents with a persuadatron and a gauss gun.

Oh man do I ever miss that again..I need to find eather that or Syndicate wars again and something to slow down my computer with to play it =)

Critias
As much as I loved the theme/feel/idea of Syndicate, I could just never get into the gameplay.

FF Tactics remains a classic, though, and one of my favorite RPGs ever.
DocTaotsu
What they need to do is make Syndicate and X-Com over again... but not totally shitty like they've been doing so far.

and Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games, I like the GBA version as well although the story ain't half of what it should be.

Aren't they making a new one?
Blade
@mrslammo: Just use DosBox, it should get both running fine.
Which reminds me that I still haven't managed to finish that mission in the city that's getting destroyed by Thor shots.
JonathanC
Tactics was great, the GBA game not so much.

"Life is short...BURY! Stasis Sword!"
Hocus Pocus
the syndicates were interesting, but i never got into them, maybe it was just too weird.

"Life's refreshing breeze, blow in energy! Cure!"
DocTaotsu
So what, no X-Com fans? The original X-Com is locked in a brutal fight to the death with Alpha Centauri for my favorite game of all time.
Wounded Ronin
X Com was way to difficult for me. After a couple battles the aliens would start using mental attacks and my whole squad would basically automatically drop dead. Plus I was playing it using DOSBOX and the enemy turns went in fast forward so that it was very hard to figure out where they were and what they were doing.

I really liked Syndicate, though, even though the flamers and the persuadertron were too powerful.
DocTaotsu
Ah yeah, super speed alien turns makes the game much much harder to play. I started playing X-Com back when it first came out so I'm able to fill in a lot of the blanks (like using my cursor to hunt for them in black squares).

The only way to deal with the mental attacks is make a beeline towards researching stun bombs... or having everyone running around a with a stun prod, ready to stun the crap out of every grey skin you see. I think that's probably the hardest transition point in the game.

It also helps to keep your heavy weapons guy... nowhere near the rest of your teams. That turns out badly.
Blade
Looks like my roommate had found how to make X-Com much easier. He basically only sent vehicles. The remaining soldiers just stayed in the ship, ocasionally coming out with guided missile launcher to shoot at some targets.

I've never really enjoyed X-Com. I prefered Jagged Alliance as far as squad turn-based games were concerned.

@Wounded Ronin: you should try Syndicate Wars, or Syndicate: American Revolt. No more standing around corners waiting for the enemy to run through the flames of your "highly effective crowd control solution." (I just love Syndicate's understatements)
Fix-it
I'm going to throw a shout for Fallout: Tactics.

burning through robots with a hip-fired ma deuce is too much fun.
imperialus
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 9 2008, 08:22 AM) *
What they need to do is make Syndicate and X-Com over again... but not totally shitty like they've been doing so far.

and Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games, I like the GBA version as well although the story ain't half of what it should be.

Aren't they making a new one?

UFO Extraterrestrials was a pretty good X-Com clone, especially if you download BMan's mod for it which makes it play a lot more like the orriginal X-Com. X-Com was something of an obsession of mine through most of middle school. That and Might and Magic III, Isles of Terra.

I eventually got to the point with the original X-Com that I could beat the game without using any alien technology apart from the Avenger to get to Mars. It was kinda weird watching soldiers run around Mars with T-Shirts and autocannons.. I never did manage to beat it without a base though as some people have.
DocTaotsu
Make that two servings of love for Fallout:Tactics. I never finished the last mission (and have since lost the disks and my saved games) but I recall some fond adventures with light infantry and automatic weaponry.

My favorite mission is the one where you're driving through that city filled with super mutants half of which are trying to snipe you out with RPG's. I clearly remember dodging (such as you can in a turn based game) behind buildings and stuff, watching the RPG trails streak all around me.

That game was awesome.

Plus you could shoot people in the groin.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 11 2008, 03:30 AM) *
Plus you could shoot people in the groin.

Any game that allows for such targetting gets a bonus star!
Wounded Ronin
I like how in Fallout 2 in the interests of feminism they made it so that groin attacks also affect females. In Fallout 1 women were apparently immune to groin pain.
Adarael
There's actually an amazing text string triggered by certain groin crits on women:
"[Character] is critically hit in the groin for [X] damage. She takes it like a man! That is to say, it hurts a lot."

Also, X-Com? Pretty much my favorite game ever. I've beat it more times than I can remember. No, honestly. I have no idea. I love it, I do.
DocTaotsu
What's not to love? It was the first computer/video game that made me utterly terrified of the dark. Sure Doom might have daemons but X-Com had terror missions in New Delphi where I couldn't see what the hellwasgoingonandOHMYGODTHEY'RESHOOTINGTHROUGHTHEWALLS.

It was every great movie about alien invasion combined with squad level combat.

And it had anime styling without being totally lame. That in itself should merit an award.
Fabe
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 10 2008, 07:49 PM) *
So what, no X-Com fans? The original X-Com is locked in a brutal fight to the death with Alpha Centauri for my favorite game of all time.

Put me down as a fan of X-Com, I bought the game when it came out and love it. Great mix of tactical battles and resource management. one of my favorite strategies latter in the game was to mind control a few aliens and use them as point men.
DocTaotsu
Alien pointmen were always fun but I'm a big softie for mind controlling the guy carrying the blaster bomb.

"Xebrax! What are you *SHOOOOOOOM!*"

I used to like hitting UFO's I'd beat up pretty bad in the sky so I could pop a blaster bomb in through a hole in the roof. The other strategy was to use my people (or mind controlled aliens) to open doors for blaster bomb launches. Good times all around.
Fabe
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 12 2008, 07:55 PM) *
Alien pointmen were always fun but I'm a big softie for mind controlling the guy carrying the blaster bomb.

"Xebrax! What are you *SHOOOOOOOM!*"

I used to like hitting UFO's I'd beat up pretty bad in the sky so I could pop a blaster bomb in through a hole in the roof. The other strategy was to use my people (or mind controlled aliens) to open doors for blaster bomb launches. Good times all around.

Ah yes the good old blaster bomb launcher,always fun, except when you miscalculate a turn and have the thing hit a corner and take out a few of your own guys. You ever have a interceptor follow a UFO instead of shooting it down in the hopes if it leading you to a base?
DocTaotsu
I have indeed, I actually even did recon by scrambling interceptors to where I thought they were all disapearing to.

Oh... and BOO laser weapons. BOOoooo...
The only thing they were good for was selling.

Did you ever read the X-Com book? Not half bad actually, and they have an entertaining scene where the base commander is reflecting on all the mysterious men who arrive to purchase alien weaponry. Of course they pay cash so he really didn't care all that much.
Blade
I discovered X-Com with a demo.
It was kind of strange because IIRC it featured things that weren't in X-Com (such as robot PCs) and art from UFO.

Anyway, at that time I didn't really appreciate the game since when I ordered a team member to shoot an alien 3m away with a rocket launcher he didn't only manage to miss the alien, but also managed to shoot right into one of his teammate standing left or right to him! Then came the alien turn, where a lot of aliens rushed (moving 5 times faster than my guys) towards what remained of my men after their friendly fire party and did not just kill them, but transformed them into aliens as well.
Most of the time, I closed the game when I finally managed to kill one of that "alienified" guy to discover that he split into two "alienifiers" aliens.
DocTaotsu
Wow that must be a pretty early build smile.gif Or a demo of one of the crappy spinoff sequels.
Blade
I guess it was an early build, because it was really called X-COM: Terror From The Deep.
DocTaotsu
Ah no! That was the sequel. The sequel was actually decent but just not as... cool, as the original.

It's the games that came after. X-Com interceptor, X-Com Armaggedon, X-Com.... *shudder* Enforcer
Hocus Pocus
trying to remember. dunno if I ever played x-com. I vaguely thing I did from the stills i could find, but can't remember fer sure...

'Layer upon layer make your mark now...Haste!"
Adarael
Terror from the Deep was much, MUCH harder than the first game.
Fabe
All this X-com talk was the perfect motivator for me to buy Terror From the Deep from steam,only $4.95. I kicked alien ass the first time around,now for round two!
DocTaotsu
Oh poor Fabe, just wait till they start matter controling him and shooting him with /real/ guns.

First ones always free man smile.gif
Fabe
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 17 2008, 07:57 PM) *
Oh poor Fabe, just wait till they start matter controling him and shooting him with /real/ guns.

First ones always free man smile.gif

Hell I just barely started and already things seem harder then the first game, guess the aliens are a bit pissed off over Cydonia.
DocTaotsu
Yeah... I have to admit that I really didn't like the whole "X-Com... the water!" dynamic though. That said the new terror missions (on sunny tropical islands) and the big cruise/cargo ship clearing missions are awesome.

Like I said, I curse the gaming gods for denying me a straight X-Com sequel where I can reshoulder that Heavy Plasma Rifle and smoke some motherfucking aliens on this motherf- sorry smile.gif
Fabe
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 17 2008, 08:17 PM) *
Yeah... I have to admit that I really didn't like the whole "X-Com... the water!" dynamic though. That said the new terror missions (on sunny tropical islands) and the big cruise/cargo ship clearing missions are awesome.
A friend has already warred me that the cruise ship missions a very hard and take place on huge maps.

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 17 2008, 08:17 PM) *
Like I said, I curse the gaming gods for denying me a straight X-Com sequel where I can reshoulder that Heavy Plasma Rifle and smoke some motherfucking aliens on this motherf- sorry smile.gif

Don't be, I would love to see X-Com come back big time,hell I was just looking on Wikipedia and it looked like Hasbro had big plans for the series be for they shut down thier computer game division.
DocTaotsu
I swear that if I ever become absurdly wealthy I'm forcing Josh Wheedon to finish Firefly and I'm forcing the guys who made X-Com to make a proper damn sequel.

It'll be like Misery but with programing.
Blade
QUOTE (Fabe @ May 18 2008, 02:28 AM) *
A friend has already warred me that the cruise ship missions a very hard and take place on huge maps.

IIRC my roommate found it easier just to ignore terror mission, or just fail them, rather than lose all his men on hopeless missions. He also found the game really easy once he started sending only tanks into battle, with the occasional help from a guided rocket. The rest of the team just stayed in the ship.
Hocus Pocus
I'm at the part where we are introduced to the brother (malak) and sister (rafa). such a tragic tale, lost their parents in the 50 years war, raised by someone who only wants to use them for their magical skills. Just before, the noble wiegraf, destraught at his sister's death and his noble goal of equal rights and compensation for the service in the war, desparate he offers his spirit and becomes demon possessed, a tragedy cuase he feels the only way to acheieve his goal is power. Gafgarion was also in the same boat, cynical, a merenary only out for himself and willing to do what it took for the next pay score.

"Legendary sword that kills freely! Asura!"
Hocus Pocus
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012