Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracking you down
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zak
After one of my characters was tracked down once again out of the blue, I think it is time to make this thread.
Let us not go into GM fiat, as that is a problem you can not solve in game.

Just how hard are your characters to track down in general? I am not talking some contact adress, but the places they live, eat and relax.

Are your characters so paranoid and sleep in a different box every night?
Or do they rely on their social network giving them a fair warning once someone starts looking for them?
Constantly checking for RFIDs? What's with spy RFIDs which are a pain in the ass to find?
Does your group know where you live? How do you handle regular meetings?
Ancient History
XXXX: [over the phone] Dragan?
Dragan: Yes.
XXXX: I've got an idea... Why don't you come 'round for breakfast? I'll squeeze some orange juice and grind some coffee and we can talk about this like adults. How's that sound?
Dragan: Sounds very hospitable.
XXXX: Do you know where I live?
Dragan: No.
XXXX: Well, fuck off then.
[hangs up]

Paranoia is a way of life.
Tiger Eyes
Most teams in our group end up all living together. But then again, we're cheap. And the few times we've lived separately, it really sucked getting ambushed at home. At least with the rest of your team there, you stand a fighting chance.

We tend to gravitate towards gang-controlled territory, and rely on our "friendly local gangers" to provide advanced warning if anyone enters their territory. Contacts are valuable also; if anyone is asking questions, they invaribly give us a heads up. Yes, this means we have to actually treat our contacts well and form relationships.

Spy RFID tags are a huge pain. Our rules are: you don't loot stuff valuable enough to warrent a spy tag. Folks we extract are kept in Wi-fi inhibiting rooms or out in dead zones until we can hand them off. For all the other tags, a tag eraser is a vital piece of equipment. And yes, we check everything for RFID tags. The hardened RFID tags are also a pain.

The fact is, you can always be tracked down... eventually. We don't try to hide, but we do make sure we've got people around who have our backs in case of emergency. Paranoia is just too hard to maintain long term (for us, at least. Some here do it much better than we do.).
Stahlseele
most of my characters don'T really actively hide . . but they don't tell people where they live either . . they shop some blocks away from home, they try not to meet anybody at home either . . one of my favourites had little choice in the matter, as one of the other "runners" was made to live in the same frigging house as him by his uncle <.< . . and THAT one did not care for ANY safetemeasures WHATSOEVER . .
Bashfull
To me, the best Runner team in the fiction was Jack Skater's team that included Elvis, Archangel, Trey etc. They were barely friends at the start, and lived separately. When the drek hit the fan, they found a hide-out and moved in together, but it was a temporary thing.

To me, your team is who you work with. Keep it professional and you won't get fragged over when it comes to making cold decisions. Of course, Skater ends up ignoring that and getting squishing with the hot elf lady...
kzt
When we were running a security company it wouldn't be hard to find him. He worked hard at not getting tied to illegal acts.

My biker guy was as hard to find as any biker is. His hope was to not get tied to any crimes of significance. So he tended to disguise himself and used sterilize a lot.

We had a group that had a large building in the barrens that my character living in. If you knew enough to know who she was you could find her. The radar, monowire, automated mortar and HMG bunkers did made it hard to interrupt her will she was sleeping. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012