Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Asia Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocTaotsu
Alright, pg 102 SoA talks about Mecca and how the magic is aspected towards Islam and so forth.

The comment following the passage intrigued me:
"Where've I heard of a big black rock with golden veins before?"
-Elijah

Anyone know what this guy is hinting at?
Fix-it
six seconds of google searching brings up the Black Rock desert of Nevada, which does have a few gold resources.

I'm sure it has some other meaning, which Ancient History will elaborate once he gets here.

/page 94 "2008: Israel gives full autonomy to Palestine", *sigh*
Ancient History
A Locus, or mel'thelem, was described as a big black rock with veins of orichalcum running through it.
DocTaotsu
OOOoooOoooo... shiny.

Thanks AH!

Orichalcum is gold? For some reason I always imagined it was a copper blue thing.
Ancient History
Orange-yellow, generally.
Sombranox
Out of curiosity Ancient, where'd the term Mel'thelem come from? I don't remember it in the dragonheart trilogy anywhere.
Kithran
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 12 2008, 03:37 AM) *
Alright, pg 102 SoA talks about Mecca and how the magic is aspected towards Islam and so forth.

The comment following the passage intrigued me:
"Where've I heard of a big black rock with golden veins before?"
-Elijah

Anyone know what this guy is hinting at?

My first thought on a black rock with golden veins is the Sipstrassi stones in the Jon Shannow series by David Gemmel (not shadowrun in any way). (Note I've not actually read SoA so I have no idea of the context.

Kithran
ornot
I'm pretty sure they're referring to this black stone.

It occurs to me that perhaps the dumpshock suggestion is that the above revered object is a Locus.

Although the RL mythology surrounding the stone is quite interesting.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Sombranox @ May 12 2008, 06:26 AM) *
Out of curiosity Ancient, where'd the term Mel'thelem come from? I don't remember it in the dragonheart trilogy anywhere.

The term Locus originated in the Aztlan sourcebook, the term mel'thelem in the Dragonheart Trilogy. <flip, flip> Late in the series. Beyond the Pale, p.77.
Sombranox
QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 12 2008, 07:28 AM) *
The term Locus originated in the Aztlan sourcebook, the term mel'thelem in the Dragonheart Trilogy. <flip, flip> Late in the series. Beyond the Pale, p.77.

You are a scary referencing godling, aren't you?

You're right though. There it is. Thanks.
DocTaotsu
*whispers a Sombranox*
Psst! I think "he" is actually an AI...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Sombranox @ May 12 2008, 07:08 PM) *
You are a scary referencing godling, aren't you?

You're right though. There it is. Thanks.

and we love him for it ^^
probably could have told you about the locus too, but the thread title somehow did not appeal to me O.o
the mel thelem bit? no dice, there i would have had to fold.
*bows down before aunty ancient* ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012