Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting second stringers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Dakka
The Human, as it will work great with the Hacker.....see there's a method to my madness.
Ellipsis
Sweet! Thanks a lot smile.gif . I'm just checking in real quick, and I'm in the middle of something that can't wait long so I'll get a response to the questions up in an hour or two. Oh, and nice to meet y'all too btw!
Ellipsis
Malfunction Junction:
Anders (goes by the name St. Damian) major problem is that he thinks everyone is a potential carrier for some ungodly disease, and every place a vector for infection. As such he is always wearing protective layers whenever he can. A pair of gloves on at all times, and if he's not already wearing his breath mask you can be sure its only a pocket away. *shudders* ("I gotta headache man...ohh...I bet it's that weird fungus thing I heard about, that can start with a headache..crypto somethin'..."(proceeds to search matrix for info on fungal infections)..."hmm...AIDs!...I...no I ain't got AIDS,...but those people get this, and if I do, aw drek! I gotta' get some bloodwork done...naw I can't trust the hospital...I'm calling my mom." So he overreacts to those things which most people just shrug off as life. He's a hypochondriac (allergy:common:??Don't know what to call that as a quality but it definetly affects his ability to function) As a result of this he is very particular about his home and possesions keeping everything very organized, and stringently clean. In addition he doesn't trust modern medicine so much as the "classic" homeopathic remedies his mother brought him up with, always keeping a stash of herbal tea packets, roots, salves and disinfectant wipes handy on his person to fight back the constant infection around him. He's generally fine as long as he doesn't come into direct contact with a real or perceived threat to his health, but if he does his mind will wander off in all directions compounding the problem until he can talk to a professional and set his mind at ease. He can't handle people touching his things, or his person and if they do he will immediately set about disinfecting any "contaminated" objects. Only after he is satisfied they are clean will he rest easy. Besides his actual mental distress Anders was once a trid actor, and now having moved into the Shadows he worries constantly that someone will recognize him from his former line of work(sinner), even though the chances are relatively remote given that he played a filthy uncouth former ganger in his two year stint on small network trid. So to combat that he disguises himself in small ways whenever he can, regularly growing a beard then shaving it off, wearing wigs or extensions in his hair etc...

Roots:
Hypochondriasis: Stems primarily from his over worrying mother with whom he spent the majority of his formative years. A stay at home mom who always fussed over her little boy she kept Anders out of school to keep him away from the bad influences, and plagues of the world, but she didn't trust the medical establishment either, so she turned to old recipes of ginger and licorice to cure "ailments" and herbal supplements to ward off infections, which she always seemed to be coming down with. After he transformed she was hysterical for months thinking it was her fault and that he would be sick forever after. Even though he shook off his mother's belief that his transformation was a disease (she still loves every inch of her munchkin), he still has been programmed to think that every minor ailment is a major problem, and only regular professional advice (from his mom, or a doctor) will assuage his beliefs of catastrophe. I think the rest is pretty well explained if you want more let me know! I'll definetly work up the full background with charsheet. Okay back to work!

(Also I'm still not sure about the combat paralysis thing yet I'd like to run with it to accentuate the fact that he's really only learning to be the wall in the way of fire, something that could potentially be worked off as he gets more comfortable with action, and I didn't know if it would be too many neg. qualities. What do you think Dakka? Too much or run with it?)
Dakka
not sure about combat paralysis but if you want it then by all means keep it. Is there a touch of OCD in his cleanliness?
Ellipsis
QUOTE (Dakka @ May 22 2008, 08:12 PM) *
not sure about combat paralysis but if you want it then by all means keep it. Is there a touch of OCD in his cleanliness?

Yeah, I guess I meant more to imply that than directly state it, but it stems from his fear of being in touch with things that could make him ill. That said it does lend him to the constantly making sure all his bottles of herbal extract are perfectly spaced in the apothecary, and all his guns sparkling and neatly packed away kind of stereotype nyahnyah.gif. I think I will leave off the paralysis because it mostly had to do with his background in acting as a tough guy, and not being one, but really I see him as someone who is accustomed to weapons and using them from that same background, even if they were blanks on set.

Also what do you think about working out a quality for the neurosis? I haven't read much about that in rulebooks, though I do vaguely remember the crazy stuff psychotropic ic could do to over curious deckers. You feel like making that a matter of role play, or hammering out some actual effects of that mental state? I don't really know how to tackle that on my own and won't presume to. Thanks again! I'll start hammering on a character sheet when I get home! Hehe I'm so excited!
Dakka
The side effect of OCD......you probly wont leave much at the crime scene. There are upsides to every players malfunctions, ie. Last of the greats' Human will probably not back down (be intimidated as easily..yes, as in bonus)
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, here's an elaborated recap...

Two words: Prima Donna! He's the 16 year old high school junior golden boy. He's the athlete and heir apparent to the senior golden boy. He gets the silver spoon treatment because he's athletically gifted. He expects those around him to bow down as he passes, clearing a path before him like Moses parting the Red Sea. He expects special treatment and believes he's invincible. He'll have no problems lipping off the ork gang's enforcer, expecting him to back down and not understand why the tough guy's not backing down. Anyone over 25 is OLD and decrepid! He's got no filter. He believes he's gawd's gift to the world. He'll dig himself deep in a hole and bring his team in with him. He's the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be. Just ask him and he'll tell you. Consequences? Consequences are when you get hot chicks 'cause you totally made that dork or old man look like the loser he is. So, this prima donna thinks he's a bad boy, rebel, social superstar who can beat the crap out of anyone, just like shadowrunners! Why go into the workforce or to university when he's got all the skills and ability he needs to be a shadowrunner? Shadowrunners are cool! They get all the money, the chicks and they don't need to follow no stinkin' rules. Of course, he'll be king of the shadows! He'll be the Marquis de Shadows! He'll be the leader of his team, of course, 'cause he's the coolest!

In reality...well, he's moderately competant in a fight (he's on the school's MMA team!) and can shoot a pistol. He's got some high school level social ability and some charm...but in Dumpshock terms he'd be a borderline shooting target/neophyte runner. When things go wrong he'll never take the blame and expect others to fix it. That's what underlings are for!

He's gotten himself addicted to stimulants. It started with betel, then cram and G3. These were his edge in sports and in the fight club. At the moment it's a mild addiction. Ripper is next, as he wants to bulk up for next year and for university. He can handle it, after all. He's the golden boy. He's got himself a fake I.D. so he can get into the cool nightclubs. His parents got him a sleep regulator, thinking it would be beneficial to him, allowing him a longer day to do homework, play his sports and be with his friends. It's alphawear, of course! Only the best for their boy. He lives in the basement suite of his parents' house (a boy like him needs his privacy) and he often brings home friends or has girls spend the night. He figures that, as a shadowrunner, he'll get more chicks. Not that he needs the help, of course.

In the group, well, let's say he'll assume he's the leader and may need to be shown the error of his ways.

Shall I email you the character sheet, Dakka?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Dakka @ May 22 2008, 06:50 PM) *
The side effect of OCD......you probly wont leave much at the crime scene. There are upsides to every players malfunctions, ie. Last of the greats' Human will probably not back down (be intimidated as easily..yes, as in bonus)

Heh...I considered taking "guts" as a quality, but decided this guy's a newb and is gonna be exposed to real, actual, live danger. Guts is for those who've been through it. It'll be so funny the first time he wets his pants and whines, "Shut uuuup!" biggrin.gif
Digital Heroin
If I've been overly quiet it's because I'm in Vegas at the moment, flying home tomorrow, so I'll be putting pen to paper asap... muay stoked to be onboard...
Dakka
I'll be creating an OOC thread, please post your sheets there. I'll also have more info for you guys.
Dakka
Moved to an OCC thread now. Please begin posting there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012