Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help on a Cyber-Mage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
paws2sky
For some reason, I'm kind of obsessed with augmenting magician. I'll blame ye olde Burned-Out Mage and leave it at that.

Anyway, I'm almost done with a new augmented magician (for SRM New York), but I can't decide how to go about getting his extra IPs. This is pretty much the last thing I need to do for him, BTW.

Currently, I have 16 BP budgeted for a Synaptic Booster (1), but last night I started second guessing that.

I realized I have a couple other options that are actually pretty tempting:
  • Sustaining Focus (3) with Increase Reflexes. Saves on Essence, but doesn't get me back a magic point as I have some other 'ware. Major downside here seems to be having to re-cast the spell regularly. On the up-side (and this is a BIG one), I could potentially get TWO extra IPs instead of one.
  • Move-By-Wire (1) [Alpha] will cost be about the same number of BP once I juggle my other 'ware around. I'd be able to ditch my Skillwires (3), but I'd have to downgrade my Cybereyes and (pprobably) ditch my Sleep Regulator so I didn't go over .
  • Or I could say screw it all and go with Wired Reflexes (1) or (2) [Alphaware]. I'd use the extra BPs to buy up my Magic to 6 (before reductions). Again, I'd have to ditch a bunch of 'ware to do this.

In any case, I don't want my modified Magic Attribute to drop below 3.

Please compare, contrast, and critique each option.

Thanks,
paws
ElFenrir
It's a tough call, I admit. I was doing alot of Adept juggling myself before.

Honestly, Sustaining Foci aren't bad. You can activate/deactivate them, and as far as I know you don't have to recast it unless it gets dispelled? I could be missing something, though. But...there are problems with wards and the like, and foci addiction(though if you only have a sustaining foci or two it's not that bad at all.) This might be the most combined essence/BP friendly version, with said downsides.

Synaptic Booster is (essentially) permanent, it's bioware so MADs won't catch it, and low on essence. It's only drawback? The cost. If you already have the BPs budgeted....it might not be that bad, unless you really, really needed those 16 BPs for something else. IMO, this might be the BEST bet.

Wired Reflexes 1(alphaware), will leave room for .4 essence more of mods, and be VERY cheap in the BPs, but you have to be ready and willing to ditch 2 points of Magic for it. It's pretty harsh, but if you had a magic 6 to begin with...(but giving up Skillwires 3 would be pretty crap, you'd have to go down to level 2.)

As for eyes....you might consider the contacts or glasses. Yeah, they aren't part of you, they can get lost-but they aren't hard to purchase in game if you need new ones(and even a smartlink doesn't have horrid Availability) and they can get every mod that the cybereyes can. For magically active characters, I usually go with eyes/earbuds to free up room for other ware that can't really be duplicated. Contacts will free up .5(.4 if alphaware) of your essence right there.

Again, if you already budgeted the BP and have about everything you want, try the Boosters, I say.

Moon-Hawk
IIRC you do have to recast your spell every time you reactivate your sustaining focus, so that's the #1 drawback there.

I really think you should go with the bioware IP boost. Depending on how you work things, after you've had a chance to upgrade some stuff to a higher grade you might even be able to sneak in Synaptic Booster 2 without dropping another point of Magic. Definitely keep the cybereyes; being able to use those vision modifiers for your spell targeting is key. That's my advice.
Crusher Bob
The main drawback of the increased IP spell is that it does not increase your reaction like the other IP boosters do, just your initiative. So you don't get the extra die or two of passive defense.

But I'd still go for the sustaining focus. You can get two init passes for 12 BP, and spend the other 4 BP on resources and get reaction enhancers 2, or some other stat increasing ware. So youd end up with REA +2, Init +4 (2 for increased REA, 2 from spell), and IP 3. As long as you have magic of 3, so that you can cast the increased reflexes spell without taking physical drain.
Sponge
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ May 16 2008, 02:08 PM) *
Honestly, Sustaining Foci aren't bad. You can activate/deactivate them, and as far as I know you don't have to recast it unless it gets dispelled?

If you turn off a Sustaining Focus, it's no longer doing it's thing, i.e. sustaining the spell. Unless you take over sustaining the spell yourself in the interim, you'll need to recast once you reactivate the focus.

DS
KCKitsune
I would say go with the Synaptic Booster. It Essence cheap , doesn't fail when you walk into heavily warded areas, and is mostly undetectable. You can always get a Sustaining Focus later on in to have that Improve Reflexes spell.
Cain
I personally prefer the sustaining focus. In addition to the fact that you apparently can evade needing to recast the spell (if Sponge is correct, you can take over sustaining the spell yourself until you're through the wards), you can use it for more than just Increase Reflexes. If you need to, it can sustain an Armor spell instead, or a useful Detection spell for when you're out of combat, but don't want sustaining penalties.
Jaid
QUOTE (Cain @ May 16 2008, 03:55 PM) *
I personally prefer the sustaining focus. In addition to the fact that you apparently can evade needing to recast the spell (if Sponge is correct, you can take over sustaining the spell yourself until you're through the wards), you can use it for more than just Increase Reflexes. If you need to, it can sustain an Armor spell instead, or a useful Detection spell for when you're out of combat, but don't want sustaining penalties.

not quite. sustaining foci are spell category-specific. so you could use it to sustain another health spell, but not armor or combat sense, for example.
CircuitBoyBlue
I personally am a huge fan of chromed magicians--my current character, Street God, even has a cyberarm!
That said, I would go with the sustaining focus in this case, especially if you're able to throw in some reaction enhancers once the game's underway. Having to recast isn't that bad, you just have to know your limitations and be prepared. I don't know what your total drain pool's going to be like, but you should probably be able to hack a force 3 spell, and if not, just make sure you have someone with First Aid, and time to heal. Leaving the spell up won't be that much of a hindrance in most cases you'll encounter.
One thing to keep in mind for the whole issue is that I think 1 extra IP is enough. That's what Street God has, and he's only rarely felt like a boob for not being as fast as the razor-boy on the team. Anyway, good luck.

Are you making the character for the SR Missions at Origins, by any chance?
paws2sky
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I'm still waffling on what to take. I'll probably sit done and write out the option in detail sometime this weekend. In the mean time, if anyone else has input, keep it coming!

I think I need to read up again on ins and outs of mana barriers, wards. My main concern about the sustaining focus is having to drop and recast multiple times, thus racking up extra stun damage. I'll have 8-10 dice to cast (depending on the spell category), but only 9 to resist drain. I'm also slightly concerned about background count.

Synaptic Booster is the steady workhorse option and its well within my budget. Its kind of my go-to reflex implant.

Move-By-Wire would suit his guy's history, but I, the player, have serious reservations about a system that puts you in a "constant state of seizure." That's just freaky. twirl.gif

@CircuitBoyBlue: Yes, I'm planning on running this character at Origins. I'm kind of excited about it... Its been a long time since I've been able to sit down and just play; I've been the GM for the past couple games my group has played.

-paws
Fortune
QUOTE (Sponge @ May 17 2008, 05:34 AM) *
Unless you take over sustaining the spell yourself in the interim ...

Do you have a quote that backs this up? I don't recall canon making any kind of statements about a mage taking back control of a Spell that is cast through a Sustaining Focus. As far as I know, the Focus is actually used at the time of Spellcasting, not just an incidental side effect. I don't believe that the rules allow for the shuffling back and forth of Spells between Foci and Spellcaster, but if they do would you please give me a quote to that effect.
suppenhuhn
I also doubt that you can take over a spell from a sustaining focus at least it's nowhere implied in the rules that you could.

As for the mage i'd personally probably take the boosted reflexes as those are the only ones you can turn off (granted that's more from a fluff pov but i always found move by wire scary somehow, especially this disease you can get from it) though they're the worst alternative bp wise i guess. Magically upgraded reflexes aren't very reliable for a low magic character as you're very vulnerable to background counts; that's why i try to retain some not so great street sam functionality on my burned out mages but that again depends on how often the gm makes use of those.

oh and post the char once it's finished cyber.gif
Sombranox
Personally, I prefer to use the essence cost of a synaptic booster to squeeze in a trauma damper and platlet factory, then use Psyche to sustain the spell myself at force for at -1 DP until I can afford a force 4 sustaining focus after chargen.

Inc reflexes 4 is only a drain of 4. Platlet and trauma damper take that down to 2 even if I completely flub the drain roll.

More often than not, I get the DV down at least to 1, at which point the trauma damper gets rid of it.

So yeah, I never minded recasting constantly (I'm with Fortune in that I don't recall there ever being anything saying you could take over sustaining the spell from the focus).

The part that _can_ suck with the sustaining route is coming up against an enemy mage who dispells your sustained spell. If they get net hits on a magic + counterspelling vs magic + force 4 and you're going to be slowing down. Four hits and suddenly you're mundane speed again.

Can't dispell a synaptic booster.
Sponge
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 16 2008, 04:54 PM) *
Do you have a quote that backs this up? I don't recall canon making any kind of statements about a mage taking back control of a Spell that is cast through a Sustaining Focus. As far as I know, the Focus is actually used at the time of Spellcasting, not just an incidental side effect. I don't believe that the rules allow for the shuffling back and forth of Spells between Foci and Spellcaster, but if they do would you please give me a quote to that effect.

No, I don't - I just assumed it was just like having a Spirit sustain your spell.

DS
Glyph
Normally, my advice would be to forget about a sustaining focus, and get a power focus, rating: 2. It basically cancels out the sustaining penalty, at least with regard to spells, and gives you +2 dice when you aren't sustaining increased reflexes (summoning a spirit, etc.). Plus, you can get up all the way to 4 IP if you cast/roll high enough, rather than being stuck at 3 IP because of the sustaining focus rating limiting the force of the sustained spell.

However... since your Magic is already down due to other 'ware, I would go ahead and get the synaptic booster: 1. It's a decent IP boost, and you can upgrade it to synaptic booster: 2 later on by upgrading your 'ware to beta or delta.
Fortune
Ah, ok.

Might make for a good question for the upcoming chat, if someone were inclined to ask.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Sombranox @ May 16 2008, 05:44 PM) *
Can't dispell a synaptic booster.

You also have a bitch of a time detecting a Synaptic Booster. It also hard to disable
Leofski
Activating a sustaining focus requires casting a spell, which implies that its impossible to shuffle spells around between mage and foci. Also even if you could shuffle it back to the mage, isn't it still disrupted by moving through the ward?
PlatonicPimp
Lets go with something even more fun. Lets get a sustaining focus IMPLANTED. My cybermage has an orichalchum-plated cyberhand that acts as a power focus. There's always weapon focus cyberspurs. Mybe those cybereyes are a sustaining focus that glows magically when in use. Not that you can't get glowing cybereyes other ways, but I think it's a cool touch.
paws2sky
So, this weekend, I got the chance to sit down with a copy of Augmentation. I figured there'd be something in there that would really catch my eye, after all, previous cyberware and bioware books always had some goodies worth considering. It was a bit disappointing though. The only things that really jumped up and caught my attention was Trauma Damper, Move-By-Wire, and Skillwire Expert System. But I already knew about those.

Anyway...

Brilliantly, I left my flash drive at home today. I'll post the full version of this guy later. In the meantime, here are the implants I decided to go with:

Cybereyes (3) with Flare Comp, Low-Light, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement (3), Smartlink
Datajack
Skillwires (3)
Skillwire Expert System
Sleep Regulator
Synaptic Booster (1)

Essence Cost 1.525 = 1.2 Ess + .325 Ess (halved form .65)
nuyen.gif Cost 108,850 = 18,850 nuyen.gif (4 BP) + 90,000 nuyen.gif (18 BP)

I'm very tempted to try and scrounge some resources for Muscle Toner (2) and Muscle Augmentation (1) just to make him more like the old school Burned-Out Mage. That'd cost me another .3 Essence and 23,000 nuyen.gif. It'd give me a point of Strength that I don't need, but the extra 2 Agility dice could be handy when I whip out my hand cannon.

I could also get a Cyberhand with a Radar or Shock Hand or Commlink and Sim Module or or something similarly silly. Definitely not sold on this, but it is an option.

All of this is standard grade. I could make some cuts elsewhere to upgrade the cyberware to Alpha, but it wouldn't get me back that 2nd point of Magic, so I'm not going to worry about it.

-paws
Mr. Unpronounceable
One potential big downside of the spell-route:

Lack of "free" reaction enhancement - you'll get more passes, but you'll still be going late in the round, nor do you get the defense boost that goes with the cyber and adept versions of improved initiative.
LeSquide
I recently played a mage that relied the spell for additional passes. My experience mirrored much of the discussion here. Outside of areas that see heavy warding, it was a fairly decent choice; the lack of extra bonuses was painful, but not crippling and other than the unavoidable situations when we got ambushed, some preparation made up for the general lower initiative.

When it came to wards, only some luck with the dice kept me from being screwed; beyond the need to deactivate and recast when going in, there was also the problem that reared its ugly head when we were trying to run out.
paws2sky
Okay, as promised, here's the current draft. I need to pick his last two activesofts, his knowledge skills, and that's about it, really. Well, armor; I need a copy of Arsenal fir that. Anyone notice anything important I'm overlooking?

Metatype: Human (0 BP)

Attributes (200 + 40 BP)
Body: 3
Agility: 4
Reaction: 3(4)
Strength: 2
Charisma: 3
Intuition: 4
Logic: 4
Willpower: 5
Edge: 2
Essence: 4.475
Magic: 5(3)
Initiative: 7(8)
Passes: 1(2)

Active Skills (80 BP)
Assensing: 1
Counterspelling: 3
Con (Fast Talk): 1(+2)
Dodge (Ranged): 1(+2)
Etiquette (Corporate): 1(+2)
Infiltration: 1
Perception: 2
Pistols (Revolvers): 2(+2)
Spellcasting: 5
Summoning: 1

Knowledge Skills (21 free) (0 BP)
+18 ranks

Languages
English: N
German: 4

Qualities (-5 BP)
Magician (Black Magic)
Addiction (Betel, Mild)
Allergy (Sunlight, Mild)
SINner

Resources: 220,000 nuyen + 3 bonding points (47 BP)
Nuyen: (3d6+9)x50
Lifestyle: Low (1 month)
3000 for armor and clothing
Ruger Super Warhawk with smartlink, skinlink, quick draw holster, 3 speed loaders, 50 standard rounds [6P, -2 AP, SS, 6(cy)]
Colt Asp with smartlink, skinlink, concealable holster, 2 speed loaders, 50 standard rounds [4P, SA, 6(cy)]
Biomonitor with skinlink
Medkit (Rating 6) with 2 refills
Antidote Patch (Rating 6)
2 Stimulant Patches (Rating 6)
Trauma Patch
Novatech Airware Commlink, Iris Orb OS, Skinlink, Sim Module, Subvocal Mic, Holo Projector, Virtual Person, Virtual Surround Music, Virtual Weather, Wall Space, Analyze (Rating 3), Browse (Rating 3), Command (Rating 3), Edit (Rating 3), Encrypt (Rating 3), Scan (Rating 3), Attack (Rating 3), Exploit (Rating 3), Spoof (Rating 3), Stealth (Rating 3)
Micro-Tranceiver (Rating 6)
Fake SIN (Rating 3) ["Maxwell Kopfzimmer"]
2 Certified Credsticks
Activesofts (all at Rating 3): choose 2
Activesofts (all at Rating 2): Computer, Cybercombat, Hacking
Activesofts (all at Rating 1): First Aid, Navigation, Pilot Aircraft, Pilot Ground Vehicles
Mapsoft: New York (Rating 5)
Yamaha Katana-11 (use Thundercloud Contrail stats) with Spoof Chip, Morphing License Plate
Sustaining Focus (Rating 3, Manipulation spells, Bonded)
Magical Lodge (Rating 6)
Betel (full case: 10 pieces/pack, 10 packs) [+1 Perception for 10x1d6 minutes]

Cyberware/Nanoware (1.2 Ess)
Cybereyes (Rating 3) with Image Link, Recorder, Flare Compensation, Low-Light, Smartlink, Vision Enhancement (Rating 3), Vision Magnification, Protective Covers
Datajack with skinlink
Skillwires (Rating 3)
Skillwire Expert System

Bioware/Geneware (.65 Ess, halved to .325)
Sleep Regulator
Synaptic Booster (Rating 1)

Spells (30 BP)
Analyze Device
Armor
Clairvoyance
Heal
Improved Invisibility
Levitate
Mana Barrier
Mana Bolt
Mind Probe
Stunball

Contacts (8 BP)
Fixer (Loyalty 2/Connection 3)
Bartender (Loyalty 1/Connection 2)
paws2sky
From the lack of replies, I assume he's good to go!
Or there were more interesting threads running yesterday. smile.gif

-paws
Drogos
Pick up a Detection Fetish at the least (I'd grab a Manipualtion one as well). I'd also pick up Control Thoughts for one more spell you can dump into your focus, and cause it is teh badass, but that is solely personal preference.
borg286
Here's how I arranged my cyber/bio ware. It comes out to exactly 1
Bio
Platelet Factores(second hand) $25000/2 at .2*1.2=.24 essence
trauma dampner $40000 at .2 essence
Cerabral booster(rating 2)(alpha) $40000 at .32 essence
sleep regulator(alpha) $20000 at .12 essence
Cyber
Obvious hand(second hand)(alpha)(bulk mod+2)[6] $7000 at .24 essence
-air tank[2] $6500
-Radar sensor(rating 3)[2] $9000
-Auto Injector(Extra dose cap 6)[0] $1300
--2x betaMeth
--4xPyche
-Fingertip compartment[1] $1500
--Shiawase Kanmushi(micro drone)[1] $1000
---Camera $100
----Vision Magnification +$100

If anyone can rearrange things to save me money I'd be very happy. I just can't seem to keep it under 1 essence
suppenhuhn
ware that you install in cyberlimbs needs to be the same quality as the limb, thus all of your cyberware needs to be alpha.
WeaverMount
I like that package a whole lot. Minor nitpicks, Second hand is listed as a grade, so I would think that you only apply the second had template. Don't know how you feel about data jacks and trodes nets at your table, but person I think that a data jack is a lot of cool for less than .05 essence at the end of the day. Also Nano hives are crazy expensive, and not everyone runs them in there game, but the +3 to logic linked skills is amazing for logic magicians. Throw in analyze device and skill wires and you can easy be looking at logic 8 + Skill 4 + Nano System 3 + Analyze Device 1(after sustaining, drain penalies and beating OR you usually only see small net bonuses) = 16 dice on any technical skill you can get on soft. And Hey once you get all your spirits bound and wards refreshed, you need something to do all night!
Fortune
Second Hand is not a 'grade'. You can get Basic or Alpha Grade 'ware as second hand.
WeaverMount
I'll believe you that second hand isn't really a grade, but it is listed as such in the table at the end of the augmentation.
paws2sky
QUOTE (borg286 @ May 21 2008, 02:04 PM) *
Here's how I arranged my cyber/bio ware. It comes out to exactly 1
Bio
Platelet Factores(second hand) $25000/2 at .2*1.2=.24 essence
trauma dampner $40000 at .2 essence
Cerabral booster(rating 2)(alpha) $40000 at .32 essence
sleep regulator(alpha) $20000 at .12 essence
Cyber
-air tank[2] $6500
--2x betaMeth
--4xPyche
-Fingertip compartment[1] $1500
--Shiawase Kanmushi(micro drone)[1] $1000
---Camera $100
----Vision Magnification +$100

If anyone can rearrange things to save me money I'd be very happy. I just can't seem to keep it under 1 essence

Interesting setup.

I hadn't thought to use an auto injector in a cyberhand. Also, is the Kanmushi really small enough to fit in a fingertip compartment?

For my purposes, it doesn't quite work though. Last I checked, SRM games didn't use second hand cyberware. I suppose I ought to double check that when I have time to look it up.
Fortune
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ May 22 2008, 12:48 PM) *
I'll believe you that second hand isn't really a grade, but it is listed as such in the table at the end of the augmentation.

The listing there is unnecessarily confusing, and the developers admitted as much when the book first came out. Its inclusion was merely for the purposes of imparting the Essence modifier and monetary cost, and not as an indicator that they were mutually-exclusive.

If it helps ...

QUOTE (Augmentation pg. 32)
Only standard and alpha-grade cyberware is available as second-hand cyberware. Beta- and deltaware implants are too custom-tailored and modified to be fitted to anyone other than the person they were originally designed for.
borg286
QUOTE (paws2sky @ May 21 2008, 07:51 PM) *
Interesting setup.

I hadn't thought to use an auto injector in a cyberhand. Also, is the Kanmushi really small enough to fit in a fingertip compartment?

For my purposes, it doesn't quite work though. Last I checked, SRM games didn't use second hand cyberware. I suppose I ought to double check that when I have time to look it up.

the Kanmushi is a micro-drone and the compartnent says it fits micro sized items. I see the drone looking like a button and a button should fit.
The compartment says it "Allows the storage of micro-sized items" notice the plural. Technically it should fit many, so one should fit.

if the cyberarm is second hand alpha, can't all contained items be the same, effectively halfing a double cost, doing nothing?

SRM?

You got to give me props. I did fit quite a bit into 1 essence. The trauma dampner and the platelet factories take 2 drain, and the cerebral booster adds 2 die to drain resist effectively adding 8 die to resist drain. That's quite a bit. That lets me max(2x magic) force of almost all spells I cast and never worry about drain.
Fortune
SRM = Shadowrun Missions smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (borg286)
-air tank[2] $6500

Am I reading that correctly? Are you really stuffing an Internal Air Tank into a Cyberhand? eek.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
That's awesome. He can dunk his little brother at the pool, and his parents can't get pissed, because he won't drown. Brilliant!
Fortune
QUOTE (SR4 pg. 334)
Internal Air Tank: The internal air tank replaces part of one lung with a pressurized internal air reserve that allows the user to hold her breath for up to 2 hours.

The Capacity is listed for those characters with a cybertorso.
borg286
But grappling gun and finger compartment are just above it. Surely those don't belong in the torse. I see where one would need common sense to place only appropiate items in their appropiate cyberlimb.
If that's the case I would reduce the capacity back down to base (5) and have 1 slot left. What would you put there, that can go there?

NOTE: refer to page 333 of the BBB. under bodyware, RAW it says that

Bodyware with a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs, costing capacity rather than Essence.
Fortune
QUOTE (borg286)
I see where one would need common sense to place only appropiate items in their appropiate cyberlimb.

The thing is that in this specific case, you do have more than common sense to tell you where the implant goes. The description of the Internal Air Tank is quite specific on the subject.

In most, if not almost every other case, I would agree with you one-hundred percent about bodyware (and even some headware) being installed in a cyberlimb. The only exceptions would be where the description specifically indicates a reason why this general rule would not be applicable.

Although even then I would let common sense influence any ruling (albeit house ruling in the absence of any mentioned exception) I made on a case-by-case basis. I like things to be internally-consistent ... at least in my head. smile.gif
borg286
To contribute to the topic at hand, what are some good items that have 1 capacity that can go in most cyberthings.
This will help players choose good items when they have capacity to spare.

Radar Sensor [2] it's not [1] but close enough
Auto-Injector(extra dose cap. 6) [0]

Fortune
For a Cyberhand ...

Datajack
Orientation System
Biomonitor
Cyber Safety
Snake Fingers

Personally though, I'd ditch the Fingertip Comparment and get a Smuggling Compartment, which can fit quite a bit more for that 1 extra Capacity point, if that is the kind of thing you are after.
PlatonicPimp
Permanent choices are for suckers. Options are for winners. Get yourself a modular cyberhand and switch it out for different uses.

Have a half-dozen cyberhands each enchanted as a different kind of focus......

And the crawly-hand-drone is fun too.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ May 23 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Have a half-dozen cyberhands each enchanted as a different kind of focus......

Not quite sure that's legal for a starting character...
I agree that if he has the resources, there's no reason not to get a modular hand, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012