Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missions that are a little on the odd side
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Otaku On Acid
I know i've read a post here on this same topic earlier, but what are some of the strangest ideas you can come up with to send your groups of runners on?

I'll start off. A johnson hires two groups of runners, possibly just one if it is big enough. He wants them to play paintball in the middle of a crowded office building to cause disruption and general chaos. All the runners get half their pay up front, and the winning team is will get both their and the losing teams half. Finally, you aren't allowed to hurt any of the wage slaves, with a possible exception if it is self defense.

What else can you come up with?
Kurukami
Well, there was that time a Johnson sent us after a refrigerated tuna that was being transported to a certain Yakuza chieftain's restaurant.... that one was pretty damned weird.

Of course, it turned out that the reason we were going after it was because the tuna had been part of a package to smuggle in certain data and information concealed within a biological package, but that's another story entirely.
Phaeton
We had to rescue a Johnson from a Novatech facility once. The Johnson was a little old lady. O_o
FlakJacket
The ah, non-voluntary collection of- supposedly- prime genetic material for the Johnson's insemination got a little freaky at several stages. :oB
Phaeton
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
The ah, non-voluntary collection of- supposedly- prime genetic material for the Johnson's insemination got a little freaky at several stages. :oB

... dead.gif

...Ew....
FlakJacket
That's not too bad. Although the characters did break down into a Paper Rock Scissors mini-tournament to decided who had to do the collection. When the same GM a little while later had apparently been watching a television program on race horses and decided to run the same general idea but with a stud horse as the intended target, that's when we said enough already. No more after this.
Siege
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
That's not too bad. Although the characters did break down into a Paper Rock Scissors mini-tournament to decided who had to do the collection. When the same GM a little while later had apparently been watching a television program on race horses and decided to run the same general idea but with a stud horse as the intended target, that's when we said enough already. No more after this.

Ya know, that reminds me of a "Keen Eddie" episode -- pretty funny, actually. grinbig.gif

-Siege
WhiteRabbit
I once sent a group of runners to aquire a pair of "My Pet Dunkie" dolls a week before Christmas. They had to contend with hordes of crazed shoppers, only to find that every last doll in Seattle had been sold. They finally ended up locating a cargo ship with a shipment on board. Hurray for piracy!
Velocity
I don't know how odd this is, but I recently had my players retrieve a satellite from the ocean floor and an idol from a dragon's stomach...
Sahandrian
They once turned the entire population of Seattle blue, thanks to an old crop duster, a rainstorm, and a chemical that remains unidentified.

One player still thinks I'm an idiot for running that one.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Sahandrian)
entire population .... crop duster, a rainstorm, and a chemical that remains unidentified....

sounds like Cowboy Bebop.
toturi
I had my players go on trid gameshow and had the decker deck the station's mainframe to win the prizes.
Adarael
Well, it wasn't exactly in the run description per se, but... The Management - which was made up of Fubar Truncheon, Miss Giles, and Agent Orange (Hugo De Naranja) - once stole a wide variety of odd objects and did a wide variety of odd things on Eyewitness.

Among them:

-Bug Scanning a corporate exec's crotch, Truncheon speaking only in japanese. Miss Giles explained this as, "Ahh, it appears Mr. Truncheon is quite impressed with your member. He offers you hearty congratulations on your fine genetic material."
-Theft of about seven right cyberarms. One was given to Clean Steve as a 'christmas present' (Ruthenium Polymers off, hand arm to man, say 'Merry Christmas!' turn suits back on, leave). The others we attached to random objects around the city, having programmed them to make sign language gestures to spell out "If you can't see the fnords, they won't eat you."
-An idea to rig up a corpse smuggling operation to feed Ghouls. I believe one of us decided the tag line should be 'All aboard the meat train!"
-Beating a man unconscious with a cyberdeck, after using it as both a bullet shield and a sword-breaker. Yes, it was heavily armored. At one other point in the run, I used it as a sushi plate.
-Johnson: "Hello, my name is Wang. I'll be your Johnson. I have a proposition for you." Giles: "You're PERFECT! You don't even need a SCRIPT!" Johnson: "What?" Truncheon: "Keep ad-libbing. You'll be a hit on opening night."

And, from another game: "No, I'm not in the habit of giving horrible artifacts to horrible people."

Also from that game: Green Zombie, Human Runner, to Gridlock, Ghoul Runner: "Hey, if I die, man, you can totally eat me." Gridlock: "Sweet. What're the tastiest bits?" Green Zombie: "My stomach. I don't do enough situps. Ought be real tender."
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Sahandrian @ Dec 13 2003, 07:06 AM)
entire population .... crop duster, a rainstorm, and a chemical that remains unidentified....

That was two years before I saw the CB movie.
Azryl
The end goal of the run wasn't odd but I had my group go on a metaplanes quest to find a free sprits true name, the odd part was that one of the planes they went thru was a musical plane that whenever you went to say anything you had to sing it, and you seemed to always bust out into a dance too.....god, they hated me for that...::grin:
Tanka
QUOTE (Azryl)
The end goal of the run wasn't odd but I had my group go on a metaplanes quest to find a free sprits true name, the odd part was that one of the planes they went thru was a musical plane that whenever you went to say anything you had to sing it, and you seemed to always bust out into a dance too.....god, they hated me for that...::grin:

Only slightly reminiscent of, oh, say, every musical known to man.
Azryl
True but seeing the looks on my players faces when i explained the rules of the planes was priceless.
GunnerJ
A YotC run I did: The PCs are given a run to recover a statue that was stolen by a pirate gang and being kept in their hideout on an island in the Puget Sound. They accepted it and used the transportation provided by the Johnson. On the way over, knock-out gas fills their rooms. They wake up on the beach of the island. All their equipment is gone. A stag has been killed with several spears, and its body left on the beach, impaled. From one of the spears hangs the following note:

TO THE HUNTED:

The nuyen reward you were promised remains open. You can collect if you can survive until sunrise. In a few short minutes we will arrive on the far side of the island. We will show no mercy. The Comet heralds a New Age when the strong and cunning shall prosper and the weak and complacent shall perish. Tonight, you will find where you stand.

-THE HUNTSMEN

Then war drums sound in the distance...

BumsofTacoma
being payed to mess with a johnsons ex-wife or soon to be ex-wife. included

putting odd things in her microwave, and breaking it.

something happened to the dog....... eek.gif

the fridge was filled with devil rat..... er stool (dont ask)

her body guards were abducted, and pictures taken of them in lude poses...... (dont ask)

then, she got mad, hired runners to catch us, they caught us, she had us put in telivised gladiator dules with rusty/usless weapons.

she fed us self heating burritos..........(dont ask)

it was so fun...... yet so bad........
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Sahandrian)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Dec 13 2003, 03:55 AM)
QUOTE (Sahandrian @ Dec 13 2003, 07:06 AM)

That was two years before I saw the CB movie.

I wasn't insinuating anything, your story just triggered the memory. biggrin.gif
bwdemon
"The Delivery Guys Run"

PCs need to kidnap a kid from a gang, before she gets in too deep. Sounds pretty simple, aside from dealing with the gangers, but they're notoriously easy to find, anyway. A little snooping around, a little combat, a little sneakiness... the PCs thought they were in for easy money.

PCs arrive at the meet to trade the kid for cash. A shadowy figure steps forth from a doorway and the girl runs to him, looks back at the PCs, and then runs past the figure. The PCs begin to notice hints of movement in the shadows and alleys, windows and doorways... a certain smell they couldn't quite place... and echoes of raspy laughter...

What followed was a ripoff of essentially any of hundreds of moments from the Resident Evil games or Aliens. The characters were minimally equipped, somewhat wounded, surrounded by ghouls, and mad about getting screwed over. The ghouls used trucks to block/slow escapes, molotov cocktails to keep the PCs moving, and numbers to overwhelm and eventually take out all but two PCs.

As one of the PCs in this, I can say that I was certain I'd be making up a new character that night. Not only was I right about that, but I was excited about it, because it brought SR to me the way I knew it could be: dark and nasty. I'm a sucker for survival horror, so this was probably one of my favorite runs.
Dalassa
I once had my players steal a toilet. A special prototype space age simlimked toilet with every toilet feature known to metahumankind admittedly but I thought they were going to kill me when the Johnson opened the crate the check and they saw the toilet.

The run also involved an explosive trapped crate of swearing furbies. grinbig.gif
Yum Donuts
I once had the runners waiting on a street corner for the johnson, and an opportunistic bum with a really good negotiation skill took note. now they were hanging out looking like runners. the mage was dressed in robes, the troll was armored, and the human samurai had chromed over cybereyes.

so the bum managed to get out of them what they knew about the run
"are you waiting for someone"
"why yes, that's me."
"Yes I am looking to hire you, what have you been told already?"
"Yes, the biological sample, it's being delivered by truck along this street at 2:23 today. bring me the contents and I'll reward you."
"well.... thirty thousand seems like a fair price for the run, but because I like you, I'll pay you fourty."

so they got the "biological sample" with no sweat and delivered it, bringing in the whole truck. the sample was a shipment of beer headed to the local grocery store. but the bum held true to his word, he paid them fourty. not fourty thousand, just fourty.

not only did they get in trouble with the cops a bit on that one, but the real johnson got pissed when they weren't at the meet when he got there.
Catsnightmare
We were hired to go and ward/consecrate the grave of Jim Morrison in order to prevent some evil music corp from conjuring and binding his ghost to perform and record new songs.
Cult Classic
Well their was this one time I was running a game. The PC's were hired to Locate and retrieve the remains of a Mafia don who had recently passed away. The remains were stolen by a Voodoo priest and his gang who intended to turn the Don into a zombie bitch. Real nasty retribution for something the don had done to one of the Priests daughters. Anyway the PC's track the Priest and the Gang to a rather lavish hotel in Downtown Seattle.

Guns, swords, and spells a blazing, they come busting in on this voodoo party to be greeted by the priest and his posse. Now all hell breaks loose on the 10th floor of this seattle hotspot. It just so happens the Don is all zombied up standing in his casket with a diaper on. During the ensuing battle the cyber ninja adept and the russian, roid popping streetsam decide there going to go surfing with the don packed back in his casket out the window with the help of a grapple line.... The battle descended to the ground with the russian with a very fake texas accent firing his LMG down 10 floors and the cyber ninja adept thinking he's spiderman trying to negotiate there decent with minimal possible injuries.

It only got better with these amazing crackheads tried to pull a New York marathon, while being chased by LoneStar and some real nasty zombie cult fanatics.

P.S. A couple of hours later the scene took on the appearence of Good Fellas when Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro had to pull over to finish off what was in the trunk... Lets just say the family wasn't happy with what was left of the Don.
Squire
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
I once had the runners waiting on a street corner for the johnson, and an opportunistic bum with a really good negotiation skill took note....

... but the bum held true to his word, he paid them fourty. not fourty thousand, just fourty...

...not only did they get in trouble with the cops a bit on that one, but the real johnson got pissed when they weren't at the meet when he got there.

That's a great one that I've been tempted to try for a long time.

It is right out of an old sourcebook, Sprawl Sites I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012