Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question from "On the Run"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JoelHalpern
I picked up "On the Run". Reading it, some of the NPCs left me with the sense that either there are some errors in the characters, or I misunderstand the weapons skills.
Some of the Grunts, for example, have Automatics skill, no Pistol skill, and carry Colt Manhunters. But the Colt clearly uses Pistol skill. I would be tempted to just assume those characters have Pistol skill instead of automatics, but what do I do with the guy who carries an AK (which uses automatics skill) and a Colt?

Can Automatics skill be used with Pistols? That would make it even more the go-to chocie for weapons skill than it already is. (And clearly, the writers were trying to differentiate the NPCs, since some of them have automatics skill and carry machine pistols, which makes sense.)

Thank you,
Joel Halpern

PS: I would try searching for historical posts, but the title of the adventure consists entirely of words that the forum search engine will not let me use, as they are too short. And the search enginer apparently does not recognize phrase searches (using quotes.) I don't blame the engine. This Forum is amazingly useful.
ornot
I'd assume it should read pistols. Automatics should not sub in for pistols without hefty defaulting penalties. Alternatively, be flexible and give them the skills you think they need to challenge your PCs. You might find your players rolling over everyone they run into, so boost the opposition by a dice, or give them better equipment.

I wasn't terribly impressed with On The Run, since unless the characters are unprofessional and pry into the package, most of the latter half of the adventure won't happen. YMMV
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (ornot @ May 20 2008, 11:26 AM) *
I wasn't terribly impressed with On The Run, since unless the characters are unprofessional and pry into the package, most of the latter half of the adventure won't happen. YMMV

I did wonder about the design and the fact that a whole lot of it is based on the players trying to do something they are not being paid to do. But it should serve as a nice intro to some of the mechanics, etc for very new players.

Thanks for the comments,
Joel
Beetle

I felt the same way with On The Run. I was going to end the scenario after the junk yard plot, but short of basic verification that it was probably the disc they were looking for, my runners didn't bother to investigate further so it wasn't an issue. I have messed around with the second half of the run and tweaked it towards another adventure outside of the Jet Black scenario. I guess in the whole it's good starter material to introduce players and new GM's to SR4.

Cain
A lot of us felt that way about On The Run.

Basically, it's a good GM aid that includes a mediocre adventure. It can help you cross-reference the main book, and gives you some helpful pointers on your GMing style. However, if you're already a good GM, then a lot of the book isn't going to be useful to you. Buyer beware, you're not actually getting much for your money.
Fortune
Just give them the Firearms group at the same level. Then it doesn't matter what gun they use.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (Cain @ May 20 2008, 01:23 PM) *
A lot of us felt that way about On The Run.

Basically, it's a good GM aid that includes a mediocre adventure. It can help you cross-reference the main book, and gives you some helpful pointers on your GMing style. However, if you're already a good GM, then a lot of the book isn't going to be useful to you. Buyer beware, you're not actually getting much for your money.

I would agree with the buyer beware, except that it was on sale (being rather old now.) For $4 it is worth what I paid.

Thanks for all the comments.
Joel
Wounded Ronin

Seriously. That's some pretty crappy writing, IMO. I've never personally been involved with any group that tried to look into the package.
Dusty Ghost
Hmmmm, This is interesting, I just got on the Run and was going to use it to introduce some friends to SR (I finally found some real life players! Woot!..... well at least for one game).

Being green to SR4 I thought it handy for GM's with all the hints and tips in it. I'll need to read it in more detail to account for the "non-prying" of the players.

Or I might just use the adventure I was writting up instead.
Ranger
I'm currently running this adventure for my group (all newbie SR players).

I agree that the writing leaves much to be desired. I don't mean the plot, either. I mean in terms of organization of the text and NPC stats (or lack thereof). A warning to GMs about to run this adventure: make sure you read each scene in its entirety before you run the scene. The text that you're supposed to read out loud to the players often misses a lot of detail information that you will find in the next section, or even the next page. Several times I've already read a description, then as we were role-playing the scene, I suddenly realized there was more information I could have or even should have given the players, but this information was strangely located somewhere else so that I didn't even notice it at first.

Other than these flaws, the adventure is okay as a starter for newbies because of the somewhat helpful GMing information contained within.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012