Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Derogatory Term for the Awakened
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tabula Rasa
I'm having a hard time finding a derogatory term to use for all the awakened folks that piss off my mundane character. Variety would be nice too, like a really mean one and one you could call your awakened friend or teammate.

Help!
Stahlseele
lightbulb . . allways on the recieving end . .
deadhead . . nothing in there aside from some funny pictures . .
Chrysalis
Good ones:

• Criss Angel
  • A&E
  • Witch
  • Magic

Bad ones:

• Illusionist
  • Mindfreak
  • David Blaine
  • Theif
  • Scam artist
  • Charlatan
  • Magic Kid
  • Harry Potter
  • Magick
  • Twinkle toes
  • Queen of the Fairy Gaymothers
  • Faghag
  • Strawberry
  • Pixiestick
Ancient History
Twinkletoes (adept)
Wandfondler (magician)
hyzmarca
My big question is why the hell would you want to head derogatory insults upon individuals who can make your head explode just by looking at you. It seems to be about as wise as a white guy using the N-word at the Vibe Awards.
Daier Mune
Matchstick or Burnie (fire elementalist/combat mage)
Squishie (i'm sure the stereotype of the mage as the weakling still exists in the 6th world)
Aaron
Spiritfucker.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ May 26 2008, 09:42 PM) *
My big question is why the hell would you want to head derogatory insults upon individuals who can make your head explode just by looking at you. It seems to be about as wise as a white guy using the N-word at the Vibe Awards.

big deal, i can do that too . . if i can see someone, i can make his head explode . . and i won't even have a migrane afterwards!
but yeah, usually i don't do that too . . i just hope for gel ammo in my gun and point and shoot if he even so much as blinks into my general direction in a way i don't like . .
Fix-it
call them modern magicians.

Copperfield, Houdini, etc.
WearzManySkins
Spirit Enslaver
Wiggle Fingers
Crap Caster
Elemental Buddy
Faey Boy
That Monster Mage

WMS

Pendaric
My personal prize goes to wandfondler. Classic AH.
Call a full magician a groggy will have the effect you desire.
There is also xman from the SR4 slang for adepts.
Tabula Rasa
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

And the reason I would want to use some of these words vary. Sometimes you may insult a friend to shit talk them, or insult someone you don't like behind their backs. Or say you insult an awakened weakling or burnout or someone who is powerful but when you are holding a gun to equal their spell.
PlatonicPimp
You also need things for NPCs to call the player mages to get them to blow things up.
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ May 26 2008, 02:42 PM) *

People who are bad-mouth others in such a way as to get into fights are not known to be wise.
masterofm
See if you want to piss of an adept that is the point where the adept power throws a penny through your head. A mage will just use turn flesh to goo and walk away.

Why is any of this a good idea?
Stahlseele
don't forget that there is still the ini-roll . . and the samurai is most of the times faster than both adept and mage . . so if the samurai decides not to risk it the magical guy will most likely end up shot before he can do something himself . .
masterofm
Who said the mage or adept won't just take the abuse, and then blast you when you turn you back.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (masterofm @ May 27 2008, 04:17 PM) *
See if you want to piss of an adept that is the point where the adept power throws a penny through your head. A mage will just use turn flesh to goo and walk away.

Why is any of this a good idea?

Why would any adept throw a penny through someone's head when throwing a baby through someone's head is so much cooler?
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ May 27 2008, 06:45 PM) *
Why would any adept throw a penny through someone's head when throwing a baby through someone's head is so much cooler?

I got you both left in the dust. Riddick can kill someone with a tea cup, and he isn't even an Awakened or has cyber enhancements all over. Why not for an Adept or Street Sam?
FriendoftheDork
"Gandalf"

"Elminster"

"Mr. Abra Kadabra"

"Mr. Hocus Pocus"

"Mr Kumbaya" (Shaman only)

"Nosebleeder" (any magician who tends to take lots of drain)
Fortune
Mumm-Ra! biggrin.gif
The Jopp
Hmm, amongst runners wouldn’t the following be appropriate:

Leadmagnet
Chrysalis
How about

Aspmagnet

Shiloh
Blue Rajah, for throwing adepts... smile.gif
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Shiloh @ May 28 2008, 02:13 PM) *
Blue Rajah, for throwing adepts... smile.gif

I almost made a throwing adept with that name... also thought of making a female throwing adept and calling her The Bowler's Daughter.
JeffSz
These are my favorites from above, and they all deserve being mentioned again. nyahnyah.gif

Twinkletoes (adept)
Wandfondler (magician)

Pixiestick
i would only use this for an ELF mage

"Nosebleeder"
this one is awesome

I'd like to add also:

Healing Mage: "Band-Aid Man"
Mage that uses lots of Mind Manip: "Mindgrinder"

And while not a derogatory name, calling his spell "Magic Missile" is fun for taunting a teammate.
If he pisses you off, mimic something he just said in a falsetto voice, followed by "blah blah blah, I'm a Level 9 Wizard."
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (JeffSz @ May 28 2008, 04:51 PM) *
And while not a derogatory name, calling his spell "Magic Missile" is fun for taunting a teammate.
If he pisses you off, mimic something he just said in a falsetto voice, followed by "blah blah blah, I'm a Level 9 Wizard."

Awesome. rotfl.gif
Cantankerous
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 28 2008, 09:01 AM) *
Mumm-Ra! biggrin.gif

rotfl.gif spin.gif spin.gif spin.gif talker.gif talker.gif talker.gif talker.gif
Screamin Demon
I don't think calling the awakened in 2070 names of supposed illusionists who lived in the year 2000 would have much an insulting effect, as I am almost certain their magic tricks have long since fallen into the shadow of real magicians, and their names are remembered only by history buffs.

Insults I would direct at a mage would be more based on the gross ignorance, stereotypes, and emotional vulnerability's being awakened might instill in a fella.
Like:

FREAK!!
Careful, or ol' Toys in the Attic here will melt your face with his mind!
I bet you like watchin little kids in the shower, huh!?
Don't you fuckin look at me you drek eating freak of nature!
I heard mages don't eat like normal people. I heard they gotta use spoons made from human skin and bones and can only drink people's tears instead of water! Think about it, man! Thats how come you never seen those freaky spooks eat nothin in public!

I think you should really play up the whole 'freak' bit. You are different from us. And your difference is wrong, therefor we should harm you and cast you away from our numbers before you eat the fetuses from the bellies of our pregnant women.

And I bet you dollars to doughnuts there are heaps of crazy paranoid people out there who blame the problems of their daily lives on the malevolence of the awakened. Things so simple as 'The food I put in my mouth fresh from the zap-o-wave was too hot, some fraggin witch must be drekin with me' or 'I can't stop drugs because cooperate magicians compel me to'
masterofm
Mutant. I mean common it's kinda like X-men at times.
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (Screamin Demon @ May 30 2008, 03:40 PM) *
And I bet you dollars to doughnuts there are heaps of crazy paranoid people out there who blame the problems of their daily lives on the malevolence of the awakened. T

The term "heaps" would be a vast understatement, if my knowledge of human nature is correct.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Sweaty Hippo @ May 31 2008, 08:54 PM) *
The term "heaps" would be a vast understatement, if my knowledge of human nature is correct.

You much like me are likely thinking "small mountains" in the actually geological sense of the word.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012