Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My players "got" Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sweaty Hippo
I think that my players, after two gaming sessions, have now fully understood the point of Shadowrun, and it could be summed up in one simple statement. Here is a transcript of the discussion leading up to the statement:

GM: "North America's governments have become a shadow of their former glory, the big businesses made them powers in name only. Less than 1% of the population controls over 99% of the wealth, and the gap between the rich and poor has all but eliminated the middle class. Only those with a lack of scruples and a mind-set that only sees numbers ever hope to reach the top of the corporate ladder. Yet even amongst the bottom rungs of society, all is not lost; Shadowrunners, hired mercenaries, owing allegiance to no one but each other, forge their own destiny, planning to make it big or die trying."
Player 1: "So who do we work for?"
Player 2: "Whoever we damn well please!"

The last comment summed up the entirety of Shadowrun in one simple statement. Even in a dystopian future, freedom and hope still reigns.
CanRay
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

But I'd have added, "Whoever we damn well please, as long as we can make the rent!"
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 27 2008, 02:30 PM) *
"Whoever we damn well please, as long as we can make the rent!"

This quote reminds me of Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star.
Cantankerous
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 27 2008, 08:30 PM) *
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

But I'd have added, "Whoever we damn well please, as long as we can make the rent!"

Or, "Whoever hires us man, I got a family to feed."

Or, "Whoever pays the best, until someone else beats their offer."

Or, "For the good of the Neo-Anarchist cause!!!"

Or, "For Truth, Justice and the People!!!"

Or, "God, natch, cause I'M his friggin' messenger. And Omae, she's pissed."

I've seen all these responses from different Players, and you know what? ALL of them capture Shadowrun.

Isshia

ps: Woot! I'm now a MOVING Target! *Does the MC Hammer "Can't Touch This!" dance*

pps: Now imagine an over sized and over developed troll doing that. smile.gif
CanRay
Just remembered my group's old battlecry: "For Honour!" "For Glory!" "For my own personal amusement!!!"
Sweaty Hippo
Another thing that my players also realized is that they can't rely on the cops like they did in other modern-day settings.

Player 1 tried to say that Mr. Johnson (who said that he had connections with Aztechnology) did not pay him as part of the contract (no physical contract) to a Lone Star officer. Player 2 said to him in private that such cops aren't "I'm a police man dressed in blue, friend to me and you" cops, but literally "rent-a-cops." Another adventure saved by the characters not shouting "I call 911!"
Stahlseele
For Pony!
Cookie for whoever gets it first *g*
CanRay
We'll see how well my group "Gets" SR when I start playing...

So far, they've already made the mistake of setting up Uber-Melee Characters!

Well, I consider it a mistake. Everyone in my group knows I'm a GUN NUT!
krakjen
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 27 2008, 08:56 PM) *
For Pony!
Cookie for whoever gets it first *g*

Richard?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (krakjen @ May 27 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Richard?

aaand one cookie for you *g*
krakjen
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 27 2008, 09:09 PM) *
aaand one cookie for you *g*

Yeah, soy-cookie! \o/
paws2sky
QUOTE (Cantankerous @ May 27 2008, 01:41 PM) *
Or, "God, natch, cause I'M his friggin' messenger. And Omae, she's pissed."

I like that one. And I'm amused who easily God could be exchanged for Gaia or The People or whatever. smile.gif

ps: Woot! I'm now a MOVING Target! *Does the MC Hammer "Can't Touch This!" dance*

Haha!

pps: Now imagine an over sized and over developed troll doing that. smile.gif

dead.gif
CanRay
How did he find parachute pants in his size?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 27 2008, 08:46 PM) *
Just remembered my group's old battlecry: "For Honour!" "For Glory!" "For my own personal amusement!!!"

hehe, now envision that said by spike from the buffy tv series wink.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 27 2008, 10:02 PM) *

heh, most likely by using some cargo parachutes as the basis wink.gif
paws2sky
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 27 2008, 03:02 PM) *

Mortimer of London, renown for its old English men's styles, has launched its RetroTOC at a retailer near you! {directions} This new line includes the novahot Hammertime, Ice, and Thuglife apparel lines. {spam filter:advertisement terminated}

"Damn spam zones..."
Wounded Ronin
FOR THE 80S!!!!!
Cantankerous
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 27 2008, 10:02 PM) *

I used a real parachute. I hope that guy doesn't need it. smile.gif

Mortimer, ahh Mortimer, I knew him paws2sky. A fellow of infinite sizes and most excellent fancy Hammer time pants...

wink.gif

BB
CanRay
Actually, all of the suits for Underbridge and Associates has been provided for by Mortimer's of London in exchange for continued services in Seattle.

Comes in handy, as he lives in a rough neighbourhood, and Humanis just loves shooting at one of the few Troll Lawyers in the 'Plex.
Sweaty Hippo
The Humans got Humanis, the Orks and Trolls got the Sons of Sauron, do the Dwarves and Elves have their own supremacist equivalents?

In before "Elven Conspiracy!"
CanRay
Dwarfirst.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Elves got the Tirs (and that just showed their complete incompetance).

Dwarves got squat. Heh...dwarves suck!
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 27 2008, 11:07 PM) *
Dwarves got squat. Heh...dwarves suck!

Anti-Dwarf racist!
CanRay
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 27 2008, 10:07 PM) *
Dwarves got squat.

"That better not be a height joke!" - Halftime.
Raven Bloodeyes
YET .... Young Elven Technologists..... a certain IEs pet org...
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Sweaty Hippo @ May 27 2008, 07:27 PM) *
"
Player 1: "So who do we work for?"
Player 2: "Whoever we damn well please!"

The last comment summed up the entirety of Shadowrun in one simple statement. Even in a dystopian future, freedom and hope still reigns.

right, because choosing who I take orders from is exactly my definition of freedom. It's not like I could decide what to do without someone to tell me. I think I'll go with the guy who beats me slightly less than the other guy.
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ May 28 2008, 12:39 AM) *
right, because choosing who I take orders from is exactly my definition of freedom. It's not like I could decide what to do without someone to tell me. I think I'll go with the guy who beats me slightly less than the other guy.

Fine; the illusion of freedom. Good enough for you?
PlatonicPimp
Never!
hyzmarca
Technically, Shadowrunners are Independent Contractors which means that they work for themselves and provide services for customers (Johnsons). Sometimes, this is a semantic definition. Sometimes, it isn't.
ornot
QUOTE (Sweaty Hippo @ May 28 2008, 01:56 AM) *
The Humans got Humanis, the Orks and Trolls got the Sons of Sauron, do the Dwarves and Elves have their own supremacist equivalents?

In before "Elven Conspiracy!"

Aren't the Ancients an all Elf gang?
CanRay
The Ancients are an all-elf gang. Which is really starting to cheese off the lower-levels, as the upper ones aren't getting older and retiring/losing their edge and dying.

That means promotion is sloooooooooooooooooooooooow.

IIRC, however, the Ancients are a HUGE Go-Go-Go Gang, with groups all over the UCAS (And probably CAS), it's just that the largest chapter is in Seattle. So maybe go find some city that doesn't have a chapter yet, kick out a local gang with a bunch of Heavy Jet-Hittin' Faeries (Who also carry pliers and blowtorches to get midevil), and be king of that hill?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Raven Bloodeyes @ May 27 2008, 08:34 PM) *
YET .... Young Elven Technologists..... a certain IEs pet org...

Would the plural of one YET be... YETI? Are these elves albino sasquatch wannabes?
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 28 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Would the plural of one YET be... YETI? Are these elves albino sasquatch wannabes?

"You Elves no nothing of Sasquatches! First, you must never speak; only sing!"

P.S. When Sasquatches were discovered to be sentient, I'm sure that the "Search of Sasquatch" fans had a big celebration. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012