Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle Metroplex details
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
evanger
Hello. I am preparing for a SR4 campaign and have a few questions about the Seattle Metroplex. As background: I have access to the standard old books (Seattle Sourcebook and New Seattle) and will be picking up Runner's Havens soon.

The first one is this: is there a wall or fence (or something cooler) around the whole thing?

Next: I have read about the NAN checkpoints along the North and South roads (both on "Intercity 5") and one at the East road ("Intercity 90"), but what about the (major?) route heading West across the Tacoma Narrows bridge, along 16? Is there no access that way via ground?

Also: I assume any other roads (410, 12, 507, 2) simply dead-end at the edge of the 'plex right now.

Another: are the Salish-Shinde areas just outside the Metroplex still built up as city? Or have they done a Council Island routine and reverted large sections of former Sea-Tac suburbs into green space? It might be cool to look out from the Space Needle at night and see the bright lights of Seattle amongst a dark natural blackness of the NAN held areas. I know the NAN have cities and other spots of civilization (the former US Naval bases in Bremerton, etc), but perhaps the rest has been returned to nature to some degree.

Any ideas/thoughts?
Wesley Street
Here's my interpretation of the source materials you've cited (and as an FYI, Runner Havens' Seattle chapter doesn't address any of your questions):

There's no actual physical wall or fence around the Metroplex. Huge material barriers like that are a major cost burden to both construct and maintain and are a hindrance to cordial diplomatic relations. The Salish have automated drones and sensor nets on their side to catch illegal border crossers along with roving patrols of SSC Rangers. The USAC certainly maintains Guardsmen at checkpoints on the Metroplex side and probably utilizes sensor networks and drones as well but I doubt they're as paranoid about border security as the Salish. Seattle is supposed to be an open port city after all. Getting in is easy, getting out is hard.

I believe that there are border crossing checkpoints along all the major (former) interstates. Highways and city roads have probably been either roadblocked or loop back into the 'plex on the borders.

The Sea-Tac suburbs are considered to be part of the Metroplex. But if you're talking about beyond that, I doubt the Salish have made major changes. Most of the Native American Nations probably adapted the cities and towns they obtained as part of the Treaty of Denver to meet their needs. I doubt they'd toss out ready-and-waiting infrastructure simply to make their lands "greener." The former Tsimshian (sic?) nation was quite horrific when it came to environmental pollution (thanks to a dirty partnership with Mitsuhama) before becoming a Salish protectorate.

Just my two cents.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (evanger @ May 29 2008, 12:11 PM) *
The first one is this: is there a wall or fence (or something cooler) around the whole thing?
This question has come up before, and every time it does, I want badly to say yes. However, each time it does, I go scouring my shelf 'o Shadowrun, and I can't find a reference to an actual wall. I'm starting to suspect that I got the idea from either the SNES or Genesis Shadowrun videogames.

Or have they done a Council Island routine and reverted large sections of former Sea-Tac suburbs into green space?
You've just described the cover art for Native American Nations Volume 1, for what it's worth.

Wesley Street
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ May 29 2008, 11:43 AM) *
You've just described the cover art for Native American Nations Volume 1, for what it's worth.

I've never felt that cover was the most accurate representation of what the Metroplex would look like. It made Seattle look tiny. I like the New Seattle cover art (minus The Jetsons car).
evanger
I have seen no reference (ever) to a wall, myself. I do like the idea, to some degree. I can't imagine the Puyallup barrens simply seamlessly merging with a foreign country... even if the border there is vigorously patrolled.

If not a wall, then perhaps a large swath of clear cut open space marks the edge?

I like the idea of sensors and drones patrolling, as well as people-in-trucks patrols and helicopter overflight, etc.

I think my Seattle Metroplex will have all of the above (wall, clear cut, drones, sensors, patrols, aircraft, and probably spirits and/or magic of some type).

I don't envision UCAS troops in the barrens guarding a wall... I do envision NAN troops on the other side of the barrens wall making sure the crap doesn't spill over.

Although, with no wall, say squatters do wander away from the barrens out into the woods or whatever, east of Seattle. Where are they going to go? What are they going to hurt? Maybe that isn't so bad... they would trip sensors, be picked up by drones, etc and eventually be hunted down by patrols and either be returned to Seattle or be "disposed of". Enough of that reaction by the border patrol would eventually have a "cooling effect" on would-be border crossers...
Wesley Street
QUOTE (evanger @ May 29 2008, 12:00 PM) *
I have seen no reference (ever) to a wall, myself. I do like the idea, to some degree. I can't imagine the Puyallup barrens simply seamlessly merging with a foreign country... even if the border there is vigorously patrolled.

Southeastern Puyallup is mostly lava and pyroclastic flow from Mt. Ranier. Good luck to any engineer trying to keep a wall there. wink.gif
evanger
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ May 29 2008, 10:36 AM) *
Here's my interpretation of the source materials you've cited (and as an FYI, Runner Havens' Seattle chapter doesn't address any of your questions):

There's no actual physical wall or fence around the Metroplex.

I just got Runner's Havens, and I've found one small mention of a wall (or fence) so far:

Pg.71, top of right column

"Seattle is mostly fenced in with some notable gaps in certain areas (like Puyallup). The Salish have a sensor net around the Seattle border to catch anyone running the border, as well as regular patrols (both drones and Salish Rangers). On the inside, youu'll catch Metroplex Guard patrols in certain areas (especially Everett and Ft. Lewis), but others are wide open.
*Rigger X"
Wesley Street
Whoops! Looks like you're right and looks like I need to re-check my fact sources before opening my fat mouth. This whole time I was thinking concrete wall, not a fence. My bad! biggrin.gif

I'd be curious to know what kind of fence it is... electric, concertina wire, good-'ol chain-link...
paws2sky
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jun 4 2008, 09:49 AM) *
I'd be curious to know what kind of fence it is... electric, concertina wire, good-'ol chain-link...

I'm envisioning chain-link, about 12 feet tall, topped with barbed wire in some areas. And almost universally poorly maintained.

Wesley Street
Me too. That fence is probably Swiss cheese.
paws2sky
Seriously. Imagine 30+ odd years of acidic rain eating away at your typical chain-link fence. Yeah, that thing's not keeping anything in or out.

-paws
CircuitBoyBlue
As far as the Puyallup barrens go, there's no fence, but there IS a natural border--the ash dunes. It's almost like a desert, filled with ghouls, squatters, gangers, and whatever other nasties are out to play at the time. On the other side, you've got the Sinsearach, who don't have quite as strong an affiliation with the Salish Sidhe as other tribes, and also have a vested interest in keeping the border at least partly open, because they make money off of smuggling into/out of Tarislar. Of course, they're not going to share their routes, and view anyone else trying to slip that border as possible competition...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012