Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dolphins and Orcas Oh My!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocTaotsu
So... stats for dolphins and orcas.

As player characters.

Having a bit of trouble making it happen. What's a good body, strength, agility?
CanRay
I'm hoping it's because you want Shapechangers... Because, frankly, Dolphins lack the minimum system resources to use a Ares Predator. nyahnyah.gif
DocTaotsu
No man... Dolphins with FREAKING lasers on their heads.

But yeah, it's not for SR but I'm using the rules so... yeah smile.gif
kanislatrans
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 30 2008, 09:07 AM) *
I'm hoping it's because you want Shapechangers... Because, frankly, Dolphins lack the minimum system resources to use a Ares Predator. nyahnyah.gif

um, maybe the dolpins use thier Mind Powers to fire the weapons. grinbig.gif
Shiloh
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 30 2008, 03:07 PM) *

Dolphins (Uplifted if you must smile.gif ) with DNI (trode or jack) and cyberware/exoskeleton manipulators/weapon mounts...
DocTaotsu
Fear the uplifted rigger dolphin...
Shiloh
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 30 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Fear the uplifted rigger dolphin...

Best rigger aerospace pilots there are: they understand 3D maeuver in an instinctive, hardwired way that humans never will.
Blade
According to House of the Sun, the dolphin are extinct because of the pollution. But IIRC they mention dolphins in some book so I guess there are still dolphins somewhere (maybe reverse engineered dolphins, though).
hyzmarca
Not only are Dolphins not extinct, some have Awakened.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...4&hl=darren

Darren's physical stats are SR3 Storm Dolphin stats with cyber-augmentations so they should be an appropriate bass for extrapolation.
Magus
Hey there are no dolphins left, they disappeared pending the destruction of the Earth for a new Pan Galactic Hyperspace off ramp.

Thier last message done while preforming a triple reverse summersalt while whistling The Star Spangled Banner was loosly translated as So Long and Thanks For All the Fish.

It was then retconned that the Earth was never destroyed. Stupid Dolphins..
Magus
Also Doc, Dont forget the Drop Bears!
paws2sky
QUOTE (Blade @ May 30 2008, 11:22 AM) *
According to House of the Sun, the dolphin are extinct because of the pollution. But IIRC they mention dolphins in some book so I guess there are still dolphins somewhere (maybe reverse engineered dolphins, though).

Unless I miss my guess, Doc is inquiring because of an upcoming Blue Planet game he's goign to be running (using SR4 rules).
Faelan
Hey Doc in case you did not know Blue Planet was picked up by Redbrick, so you will be seeing new product in the not too distant future.
DocTaotsu
Yeah heard smile.gif I think I made wild dancing gesticulations in the General Gaming forum last week. The Blue Planet Synergy system is uhm... not good. It's a system begging for a 3rd ed overhaul since that seems to be the edition most games get things right (I contend that both SR3 and D&D3 were both excellent systems)

I am definitely using this for my forthcoming Blue Planet game but it would be nice to have stats should I ever get around to running my "Dolphin Run: Singapore" wherein players must spring uplifted dolphins from a corporate holding facility. Evidiently Evo didn't take to kindly to them staging a peaceful protest against working conditions...

@Hyz. Thanks for the link. That's a little under what I was pegging their stats at but it seems like good guidance. Did you actually get to run this character? Did he work fairly well mechanically?
Rembrandt
You need really low stats for the dolphins, so that your PCs stand more of a chance if they end up getting into a fight with them - also taking into account my fear of water and hatred of aquatic animals that can eat me.

It would make me happier if acquatic life was weak and could be killed in a single hit.
DocTaotsu
Well considering that dolphins very well could /be/ PC's I'd think you'd be more interested in seeing their stats increased.

When you're looking at cetecean stats it helps to keep in mind how limited their stat utilization is. A cetes high body reflects their size and their stamina. Their strength reflects that a dolphin can indeed ram you're happy ass to death fairly easily and an orca is supposed to have the most powerful bite in the animal kingdom. At the same time it's not like they have articulated limbs and can learn "Cetecean Juijitsu" a generic unfinned combat covers all the skills involved in ripping another creature to shreds with your teeth.
Rembrandt
-I- can learn cetacean jujitsu.
DocTaotsu
That's because you have thumbs.
JBlades
The dolphins are just the front men, man. They work for our Cephalopod Overlords! The revolution is coming!
tech2.0
I too love the Blue planet (- rules).

Dolphins bp 40
Bod 5/9 (14)
Agi 2/7 (10)
Rea 1/6 (9)
Str 5/10 (15)
Cha 1/6 (9)
Int 1/6 (9)
Log 1/6 (9)
Will 1/6 (9)

echolocation
-2 on cha tests when dealing with non Cetecean
sensitive system

Orca bp 45
Bod 5/12 (16)
Agi 1/6 (9)
Rea 1/6 (9)
Str 5/11 (15)
Cha 1/5 (cool.gif
Int 1/6 (9)
Log 1/6 (9)
Will 1/6 (9)

echolocation
-2 on cha tests when dealing with non Cetecean
sensitive system
Uncouth

DocTaotsu
Not sure I'd give them a -2 cha in general or even make it that steep when dealing with people who "don't take them seriously". I also wouldn't slap orca's with uncouth as a racial attribute.
tech2.0
Just going from memory from BP Cetecean have a different mind set then humans and teh orcas are ussually move brusk(sp) and aggresive(thats why they were the main GEO water patrolers.) nothin like a ocra bearing down on a ship and fireing 2 torps from the harness they wear.
cndblank
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 31 2008, 10:24 AM) *
Not sure I'd give them a -2 cha in general or even make it that steep when dealing with people who "don't take them seriously". I also wouldn't slap orca's with uncouth as a racial attribute.

Well some Orcas eat sea mammals (Seals mostly but dolphins and whales too), so the -2 on Cha tests when dealing with non Cetecean might not apply.

Also human usually think orca's are cool (as long as they are not in reach).

And others Orcas will only eat fish. The two "tribes" even seem to use a different "language".

And in captivity dolphins have been known to jump out of their tank and in to Orca's tank to play if the Orca isn't hungry.

The Uplift novels put it down to dolphins understanding the food chain and everyone's place in the chain of life (man was at the top, with Orca's between).

Storm Dolphins don't seem follow that philosophy.
DocTaotsu
The Blue Planet has a very excellent but almost impossible to find source book called Ancient Echoes. It does mention that it is difficult for cetes to be "taken seriously" because they often have to interact using remotes (drones) or by interspec (sign language for cetes). It details the very different mindset between dolphins, orcas, pilot whales, and other flavors of dolphin. A really awesome read, especially if you like the Uplift Novels.
Grinder
Will be available as PDF soon, hopefully (since RedBrick picked up the Blue Planet license). smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012