Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run Concepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kanislatrans
Well, we game tomorrow and I'm GMing again. Ive got a couple of concepts and would appreciate any feed back.

I'm gonna spoiler tag them cause I trust my group not to peek but on the off chance they happen to accidentally click on this thread at least they will have a chance to click back before the Karma Fairy boots their hoops.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

Edited for bad speeling wobble.gif
thanks for any feed back...these are just quick ideas. i have more background but am a little tired and don't feel like typing out every thing. smile.gif smile.gif
Backgammon
What kind of feedback are you looking for, specifically? Both look fun, credible and original. Did you have specific concerns?
CanRay
I'd go with the second, but that's only because I like the combination of the two things.

I also suggest this run.
crash_00
Both look good and fun.
Out of curiosity is there a thread of runs on the boards here?
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jun 7 2008, 08:19 PM) *
What kind of feedback are you looking for, specifically? Both look fun, credible and original. Did you have specific concerns?

well, I have run three sessions so far. First one nearly killed me, second fell flat on its face, and third went some what better. spin.gif

I guess I 'm looking for a "Sounds like it will work and I hope they don't shank you to death with pretzel sticks" twirl.gif

Fortune
Sounds like it will work and I hope they don't shank you to death with pretzel sticks.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 7 2008, 08:27 PM) *
I'd go with the second, but that's only because I like the combination of the two things.

I also suggest this run.

I like that one, CanRay. I've marked it and put it in the " use this if your players rip though the 2 weeks of preparation in 45 minutes" file.( they almost did that in the last session. Troll Physad totaled the Boss with one punch. wobble.gif Gm lesson #34 -edge dice can be a dangerous thing) spin.gif spin.gif

and Fortune, thanks, its just what I was lookong for! grinbig.gif
CanRay
All else fails, the only run they can do are small ones that are barely worth the money.

The Shadows aren't always busy after all.
crash_00
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jun 8 2008, 02:52 AM) *
well, I have run three sessions so far. First one nearly killed me, second fell flat on its face, and third went some what better. spin.gif

I guess I 'm looking for a "Sounds like it will work and I hope they don't shank you to death with pretzel sticks" twirl.gif

Well the first sessions are usually the roughest. The key for most new GMs is to be prepared for anything the players are going to do.
This works best if you're good at thinking on your feet, but my suggestion is to just keep a list of things that they will run into/occur on the run handy, and a folder of random events in case they stray.

Both of what you have shown sound like they'll work fine. However, I'd run the first one first, it seems simpler and if you've been having problems so far it's best to ease into the more complicated runs.
kanislatrans
thanks crash_00, I appreciate the advice.

I'm doing ok with combat ,magic and plot lines. the matrix stuff is a little rough,but now that I have a couple of the books and have read up on how the system works, i t should get better.

Over all,the players are having fun. I've DM'ed DnD since 1e so I'm familiar with how to run a game, its just adjusting to the new system. spin.gif wobble.gif

I love the SR4 system,though. It is by far the easiest system for GM ing I have ever tried. I have always thought that the job behind the screen should be 90% inspiration and 10%perspiration. and SR4 seems to hit those numbers pretty well.

The group is a great help also. When they see I'm getting a little lost, someone usually calls for a quick break so I can get it together.

back on subject, in the first spoiler post Idea, I thought I'd throw in a twist. maybe have Joshua be undercover FBI or something but tossed the idea because I want to make him a really nasty guy. Downright charismatic with a black heart, since sometimes that bad guy is just that, a broken, selfish, conniving bastard. I also would like to add a touch of "Smokin Aces" to the scene by sending a team from Humanis to wack the guy the team is trying to keep alive. should keep the combat monsters happy.

One of my players said "This is shadowrun, we never run out of ammo!" I would like to see just how much ammo they will burn up on this run. the average for an mook is about 6 rds ( 2 three round bursts), so I will need about 12 mooks, 4 prime runners, and maybe a tough magical threat to get them down "Throw me a clip! Throw me a clip!" stage.

God, I love this game!
kzt
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jun 7 2008, 10:19 PM) *
One of my players said "This is shadowrun, we never run out of ammo!" I would like to see just how much ammo they will burn up on this run. the average for an mook is about 6 rds ( 2 three round bursts), so I will need about 12 mooks, 4 prime runners, and maybe a tough magical threat to get them down "Throw me a clip! Throw me a clip!" stage.

It's astonishing how much damage a high force materialized spirit can absorb, particularly when it's a trid phantasm... "Ah, so you are going to use astral perception? You perceive a force 5 manabolt hitting you from an astral figure, with 4 successes."
crash_00
I'm new to the forums so I don't know if I've got the spoilers things down right but here goes:

Well I still play third edition so some of the topics are a bit hazy (like how many rounds each baddy can take), but if you want a good twist you could always just throw a few corrupt cops into the picture, and possibly even another shadowrun team that's sent in to eliminate the target.

For instance, this is what I would probably do with the run:

Let's call the Sheriff Winston because that name popped into my head. Winston is one of the few "good" cops in his precinct, and he's seen a bounty put out on this guys head by the political candidate Joshua has dirt on. Instead of relying on his seedy co-workers he hires a group of shadowrunners to bring him in alive so he can testify.

Unfortunately several other corrupt cops have taken it on themselves to collect this bounty.

Likewise, Joshua, being a rat bastard has invoked the wrath of another power figure who has hired a hit team to take him out.

Now what would a week be in the runners shoes without all the crap hitting the fan at once? Not a week in Shadowrun.

If your really want the fight to draw on their resources have things hit together or one after another.

For instance, the Humanis team shows up to scilence Joshua and the team is just mopping them up as the hit team shows up.

A few rounds in, the corrupt Lone Star agents show up and lay into both sides, as both are breaking the law having the firefight. The team finally finishes off the Lone Star agents/runs out of resources and has to high tail it from Lone Star backup ending the fight with a nice chase scene.

Zak
QUOTE (crash_00 @ Jun 8 2008, 02:51 AM) *
I'm new to the forums so I don't know if I've got the spoilers things down right but here goes:

[ Spoiler ]

CODE
It is [spoiler]text[/spoiler]
Drogos
Crash, you have seen Smoking Aces, right? Cause that's pretty much the plotline. Almost to a T.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Drogos @ Jun 9 2008, 08:34 AM) *
Crash, you have seen Smoking Aces, right? Cause that's pretty much the plotline. Almost to a T.

That's what I was going for. wobble.gif and it worked well. I didn't get them to run out of ammo, but at least they had to change clips this run. getting better.

high points were :

1) Moments after the team unloads with a barrage of grenades that destroys the nest of Radicals, the Face says"umm,has anyone seen the target yet? Are we sure he wasn't in there?" All Pause..and look worried..

2)As they are making their escape by blasting through the road block set up by Humanis hit squad. The original terrorists were anti meta and anti magic. all part of satans plan. the appearance of an earth elemental caused much confusion." But these guys don't use magic!!!"

3) as they blast through and are just getting in the clear, they get hit by a shot from a MP laser(which the dwarf ex-cop has been begging for) . as the dwarf is driving we got an exellent peice of role playing as he fights the urge to turn back . "They've got my laser!!!" he hollers, followed by "damn,damn .damn....."

over all a great time..I'm getting better thanks to my 5 hour a day Dumpshock habit. spin.gif spin.gif sleep is overrated any way.

crash_00
QUOTE (Drogos @ Jun 9 2008, 02:34 PM) *

Nope, I was just thinking of the worst possible scenario to make them run out of ammo.
CanRay
QUOTE (crash_00 @ Jun 9 2008, 01:24 PM) *
Nope, I was just thinking of the worst possible scenario to make them run out of ammo.

Oh, that's easy enough.

Demon Rats with an army of Devil Rats just when their car dies in the middle of the Barrens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012