Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bordercrossing ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RyanEoghammer
Has anyone try to update the bordercrossing rules from the shadows of ... (North America, Asia, Europe)

I will probably try to look at it in the upcoming weeks because i will run a team that will probably cross many borders..
Drogos
If you have Shadows of North America, they have a system for border crossing there. It's SR3, but shouldn't be too hard to update. Personally, I prefer to let drama dictate the crossing, but if you want, it really comes down to a Perception/Sensor test vs. Infiltration/Electronic Warfare. That may be overly simplistic, but it's basically all the rules would call for.

:EDIT: Also, while I'm not intimately familiar with them, the Missions scenarios set in Denver is bound to be chock full of border crossing examples, seeing as Denver is "The Nexus" of several North American Nations.
Carny
QUOTE (Drogos @ Jun 16 2008, 12:48 PM) *
If you have Shadows of North America, they have a system for border crossing there. It's SR3, but shouldn't be too hard to update. Personally, I prefer to let drama dictate the crossing, but if you want, it really comes down to a Perception/Sensor test vs. Infiltration/Electronic Warfare. That may be overly simplistic, but it's basically all the rules would call for.

:EDIT: Also, while I'm not intimately familiar with them, the Missions scenarios set in Denver is bound to be chock full of border crossing examples, seeing as Denver is "The Nexus" of several North American Nations.

The Missions border crossing rules mostly cover getting through checkpoints. The various borders in Denver are pretty well fortified, so its not generally a matter of sneaking across them.
RyanEoghammer
I have the SoNA and i want to find a way to adapt the test for a game in SR4...
I have read the Missions but this is only, as Carny said, for bordercrossing via a checkpoint.
Drogos
In other words, fat lot of help I was...sorry biggrin.gif
RyanEoghammer
no problem
A quick way is probably to translate the sr3 sensor (from 1(-3) to 8(+1)) into a sr4 Sensor for the opposed test between this Sensor and the Electronic Warfare of the bordercrossing pilot or Infiltration of the bordercrosser but i was not sure that the Sensor under Sr4 rules can reach the 8 value.

this is a simple solution but this doesn't take in account the ECCM and ECD values of each frontier... and the sr3 rules about signature that was a big part of the sr3 detection rules.
ornot
I'm running the Denver Missions with my group. Usually I handwave the bordercrossings, unless they're carrying contraband. Of course, there are always the option of bribes... The CAS-PCC border guards are getting pretty rich, courtesy of my players.
ThePolo
Directly from the intro section of the Missions PDF:

To quickly simulate a border crossing, have all characters make a quick test of Fake SIN Rating + Charisma + Etiquette. Threshold on the test is TR/2 (round-up). On a failure, the PC will need to pay a 300¥ bribe to get across safely. If the PC glitches, the passage ends up taking longer than intended, and the character needs to spend 300¥ on a bribe. On a critical glitch, the PC loses one piece of forbidden or restricted gear, and must spend 500¥ on a bribe.

If the whole party is attempting to cross as a group, use a Teamwork test (SR4 p59) for the border crossing.

For reference (while I look up the SR3 rules)
ThePolo
Okay... After a quick read, it looks like Dragos is pretty close to what I'd do. At the end ofthe day, it's pretty close to a standard Sensor test.

I'd keep the table on 296 of SoNA for assistance, then make a Pilot (or Clearsight) + Sensor +/- "Random Factor" vs. Infiltration + Reaction +/- Handling... Use the table from SoNA for dice pool modifiers (instead of target modifiers) and you're good to go...
Drogos
QUOTE (ThePolo @ Jun 19 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Okay... After a quick read, it looks like Dragos is pretty close to what I'd do. At the end ofthe day, it's pretty close to a standard Sensor test.

I'd keep the table on 296 of SoNA for assistance, then make a Pilot (or Clearsight) + Sensor +/- "Random Factor" vs. Infiltration + Reaction +/- Handling... Use the table from SoNA for dice pool modifiers (instead of target modifiers) and you're good to go...

WOOT!! I was somewhat correct.

The only thing I'd probably add is a bonus to your dicepool for a successful use of Electronic Warfare + Jamming. Something in the neighborhood of 1-3 dice extra, but that may just be me. I'm thinking it will cover all the angles you are looking to cover. The exception being crossing at checkpoints, which Missions has a system fro already biggrin.gif
RyanEoghammer
QUOTE (ThePolo @ Jun 19 2008, 06:21 PM) *

I read the Sensor in the tables and the random factors near the table in SoNA.... ok
The pilot or clearsight may be between 4 and 6. they are high as it is a critical thing...

Like Drogos said i will probably use Electonic Warfare as complementary skill but it will receive the ECCM rating from the table as dice pool negative modifiers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012